New computer, new Windows

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips. I was doing the user account thing but had not rebooted to lock the setting. Noticed when I download a pic it shows a thumbnail in the icon. Where did they put the print screen? When I press that on my keyboard I get nothing. I need a text macro for my email addy as well. You forget how many little things you had tweaked over the years on a PC.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Sherman - Windows 8, or any other version for that matter, is not mine. It simply is what is. If 7 works for you enjoy.

Please do not stay with XP, for your Own sake.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Noticed when I download a pic it shows a thumbnail in the icon. Where did they put the print screen?

If that is in Windows explorer, click "view" and you can change how the files are displayed.

Print Screen - I haven't seen that one, it works for me. Try Ctrl Prt-Screen or Shift Prt-Screen.

I am not familiar with the term "text macro". Do you mean a signature line that goes at the bottom of you emails?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here is what I found on creating a Win 8 macro for your email addy.

How do I create macros in Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center?

A macro is a sequence of events (such as keystrokes, mouse clicks, and delays) that can be played back to help with performing repetitive tasks. A macro can also be used to replay sequences that are long or difficult to run. You can use the Macro Repeat feature to play and repeat a macro continuously, and then stop it at any time. You can also create a split macro to separate a key press from a key release.

Caution
Do not save passwords or other sensitive information in macros.
Create a macro

Click the button or key you want to configure to run the macro.
If you have already created macros, a list will display under the Macro command. Click the one you want to assign to the button or key.
If you have not created any macros, click Not yet assigned and then click Create a new macro.
The Macro Editor displays.
In the File Name box, type a name for your macro.
Click the Editor box, and enter your macro. Most keystrokes can be typed in directly with your keyboard.
Click Back to save the macro and return to the previous screen.

Insert special keys in your macro

You can insert special keys for events such as mouse clicks, time delays between actions, mouse sensitivity settings, and keystrokes reserved by the Macro Editor, such as, BACKSPACE, TAB, and the arrow keys. When the F Lock light is Off, alternate functions work (Help, Undo, and so on). To insert a special key, click Insert Special Keys, and then:

To add:

Do this:

Keys reserved by the Macro Editor

Select the key you want, for example: BACKSPACE, TAB, and the arrow keys.

Mouse clicks

Select the mouse button you want for example: Mouse Button 3.
Note
During playback, the macro will play back the mouse click (example: Mouse Button 3), not the action otherwise assigned to it (example: Magnify or Instant Viewer).

Delay

Select a time delay key. A clock icon appears with a default delay of 10 milliseconds (1000 milliseconds = 1 second).
Use the arrows on the icon to increase or decrease the time delay. The maximum delay is 999,999 milliseconds (approximately 16.6 minutes).

Mouse sensitivity (DPI On-the-fly)

If your mouse has adjustable mouse sensitivity buttons, select a mouse sensitivity button, (example: DPI Button 3).
Create a split macro to separate a key press from a key release

In the Editor, right-click the event, click Split, and then add new events. Your new events appear between the key press and the key release.

Repeat a macro

Click Repeat.

Notes

Macro Repeat does not support switching applications. For example, if you open your Web browser while a macro is repeating in a game, the macro stops repeating. Likewise, if you include a command in a macro to switch to a different application, Macro Repeat does not take effect, and the macro runs once only.
If you press a button assigned to start a repeating macro and then press a button assigned to a different macro, the repeating macro stops.
A repeating macro does not include a time delay at the end of a sequence. If you want to add a delay, see Insert special keys in your macro.
When a repeating macro starts, the software displays a message to notify you. However, this message will be visible only when games are not in full-screen mode.

Edit a macro

Click the button or key you’ve configured to run the macro.
From the list of macros display under Macro, select the one you want to edit.
Click Edit to open the Editor.
Make the changes you want.
Click Back to save the macro and return to the previous screen.

Play a macro

Press the button or key assigned to play the macro.

Cancel a macro during playback

Press the button or key assigned to the macro again, or start another macro.

Toggle a repeating macro

After you enable Macro Repeat for a macro, press the key assigned to the macro to start it.
Press the key again to stop the macro from repeating.
Or, to stop the repeating macro and start another macro, press the button or key assigned to the other macro.

Use “press and hold” for a repeating macro

After you enable Macro Repeat for a macro, press and hold the key assigned to the macro to start it.
Release the key to stop the macro from repeating.

Clear as mud? :yum:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
looks like user error strikes again - thought I posted this....

ref Print Screen

the way print screen changed. used to send immediately/directly to the printer - not no more.

"To copy/capture the current window (me: aka the 'active' window), hold down ALT + Print Scrn at the same time. To capture the entire screen, just press Print Scrn."

After you've "copied" the screen you have to "paste" it into something else - Word, photo editor, etc.

see
http://www.entity.cc/ICONS/print-screen.php
for all the dirty details.