Honey cake

CharlieD

Traditionally this cake is served day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) symbolic of our wishes for a sweet year. It’s coming up this Saturday.

Also it is believed that one should be asking for a piece of Honey cake day before Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement). If one to become so poor, during the next year that one is forced to ask for food, then this asking for honey cake will avert the need for that hypothetical asking/begin.

My aunts’ recipe:

1.5 cup honey
2 cup milk (or non-dairy substitute, like coffee creamer works as well)
2 cup sugar
1 stick margarine

All of the above ingredients put in the pot and slowly bring the heat up stirring up until margarine melts and mixture becomes smooth. Doesn’t have to boil, just melt and mix together. Let it cool down so the eggs and the dough don’t start cooking when this mixture is added.

1.5 cup oil (I use corn or vegetable oil)
8 eggs

Mix together; slowly add to the mixture above constantly mixing.

I use Kitchen Aid stand up mixer:

6 cups flour, sifted
2 Tbs. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground clove
2 tsp. baking powder

You can add other spices if you like, like dry ginger for example, also can add raisins or craisins, or even chocolate chips.
Some people add nuts, however nuts are traditionally not used during this particular time of the year, though can be added if cake is made some other time.

Start the Mixer slowly. First mix all dry ingredients well, then pour the liquid and mix until smooth. You will have the 5 quart bowl nearly full, (the recipe can be cut in half). Pour the batter into several loaf pans, I use the small aluminum disposable pans and usually end up with 10 loaves. Depends on the size of the pan, bake at 300-325 degrees for about an hour. Do not over bake so it doesn’t become to dry.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This sounds very interesting to me, Charlie, and though I'll have to buy more eggs, I have everything else.

Thanks!

Lee