Which is better?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I would not have thought there is much difference. The biggest difference in yeast is between dried yeast and instant yeast. Dried yeast needs to be activated first by been mixed with water & sugar for an hour to start working. Instant yeast can be mixed into the flour and starts working straight away.
If you don't use much yeast - small packets are best as they stay sealed.
Opened packets/jars should be kept in the fridge.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
yeast in the jar is the same as yeast in the pouches, in most cases. Just a larger quantity. Many older recipes call for yeast in amounts other than the newer packages.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I wonder if the smaller amounts in today's package would work the same in the old recipes because of improvements in the strain of yeast. I will ask Nick Malgieri

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
That's a really good question Susan...I look forward to hearing the answer!

BTW, welcome back!

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I buy the bricks of Red Star from Costco and freeze it in baggies. It will last for years.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
the bricks- i concur. there's a way to check yeast & if it's live/well- gotta dial my Dad fer info.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I just put it in my bread machine in the evening, along with sugar, flour, a little salt, powered milk, butter, and water. If it doesn't turn into dough by the time I get up, it was bad.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Flippant answers aside, the chief difference between packets and larger bulk packages from my standpoint is a huge difference in cost. The little packs are around 50 cents, a brick, I believe they are 2 pounds, is around 3 bucks, and contain thousands of little packs. I have never had yeast go bad in the freezer, nor have I had bread not rise. For me it is just a matter of cost.

sadie

I always use yeast in a jar simply because it costs less overall than the packets. I use the rapid rise because it seems to work best for me with most recipes.:thumb: