Chocolate Babka

chilefarmer

New bake for me. But saw a photo with the recipe. Just looked to good not to bake one. More trouble than I thought, but so worth it, super good taste. CF:smile:

ChocolateBabca.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
What about it was troublesome??? I ask because I want to make it. I love babka!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Ooooooo, I'm with VB.....I'd love to see the recipe...that looks wonderful CF!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How absolutely BEAUTIFUL, CF!!!!

I so wish I could have a slice!

Lee

chilefarmer

The only real trouble was, new recipe, waiting for the yeast to do its thing. And I had other things I needed to be doing. Really wasn't that hard. CF
Recipe:
Chocolate Babka
[FONT=Georgia,Georgia][FONT=Georgia,Georgia]Ingredients
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Georgia,Georgia][FONT=Georgia,Georgia]Dough:
 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
 3/4 cup warm 1% low-fat milk (105° to 110°)
 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
 7.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 2/3 cups), divided
 5.85 ounces bread flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
 5 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces and softened
 Cooking spray
Filling:
 1/2 cup granulated sugar
 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
Streusel:
 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
 1 tablespoon butter, chilled, chopped into pieces
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Georgia,Georgia][FONT=Georgia,Georgia]Preparation
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Georgia,Georgia][FONT=Georgia,Georgia]Dissolve 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and yeast in warm milk in the bowl of a stand mixer; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, vanilla extract, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and egg yolk. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 6 ounces (about 1 1/3 cups) all-purpose flour and bread flour to milk mixture; beat with dough hook attachment at medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes). Add 5 tablespoons butter, beating until well blended. Scrape dough out onto a floured surface (dough will be very sticky). Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add 1.5 ounces (about 1/3 cup) all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will be very soft).
Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let dough rest 5 minutes.
Line the bottom of a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan with parchment paper; coat sides of pan with cooking spray.
To prepare filling, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, and chocolate in a medium bowl; set aside.
Place dough on a generously floured surface; roll dough out into a 16-inch square. Sprinkle filling over dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edges. Roll up dough tightly, jelly-roll fashion; pinch seam and ends to seal. Holding dough by ends, twist dough 4 times as if wringing out a towel. Fit dough into prepared pan. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare streusel, combine powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, and 1 tablespoon butter, mixing with your fingers until it resembles coarse meal; sprinkle streusel evenly over dough. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until loaf is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Cool bread in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool bread completely on wire rack before slicing.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Okay....this seems doable. When?? could be a while before I have enough time in the house to measure ingredients, let alone let yeast rise.
Thanks for sharing. I really do want to make this.

Hi, CF... that looks absolutely delicious! Out of curiosity, I didn't know you were Jewish...when did that happen? If I'm not mistaken, Babka is a very Jewish confection. Anyway, I'm going to try this out on Ian and see how he likes it. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Fallon :clap:

chilefarmer

Thanks y'all, pleased you like it. Its good.
Fallon, you know I love food. Saw the photo and just had to try it, you know how that works. CF:wink:

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
What a wonderful recipe! Definitely doable. Thank you for sharing. I so want to give this a try.

Welcome Cheryl - I guess I'm going to have to get used to that because my best friend's name is Cheryl and I've been trying really hard to get her to join this forum. Anyway, this recipe is really great. I made it for my husband, Ian, shortly after our friend, ChiliFarmer posted it and it was pretty easy to make if you have the patience. Ian didn't let the finished product sit for very long before he and his buddies made short work of it.

Hope you enjoy being on here. It's lots of fun and you can pick up some sumptuous recipes, too. There are some exceptional cooks and bakers who are members and I've built up my files amazingly since we joined. I don't do much cooking, per se but I love baking and do a great deal of that. Ian is a chef at a resort up here and he does most all the cooking and meal planning for the two of us and everyone in the family. He loves it.

Ian wasn't exaggerating when he told you he's not a very good photographer. But I want him to learn some good techniques before our son gets here in November! He may be picking your brain for a while, just to get me off his back about it. He says it isn't going to be a big deal in the first few months because all babies look alike but ours is expected to be top of the line - at least by his mom - ME.

Fallon