Grillades Recipe and Technique

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I used beef, but you can also use pork or veal.

1# beef top round cut into 2 inch pieces, pounded thin. (you can also use what is sometimes referred to as minute steak)
Season with S&P, you can also use a cajun spice blend
Dredge into seasoned flour. I used S&P, oregano and thyme.

Heat a large dutch oven with 2T butter. Brown the steaks on both sides, about 2 minutes a side. Remove to platter till all are done. Add 2 T of butter each time you add more steaks. Add 2T of butter when you take the last steak out. Scrape up anything from the bottom.

August2010068.jpg

Dice 2 celery stalks, 1 medium onion, 1 bell pepper, 7 cloves of garlic. Saute the vegetables in the last 2T of butter you added to the pan. Cover and cook for 8 minutes, till soft.
August2010069.jpg

August2010070.jpg

Add 1/4C flour to the vegetables, making a roux. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
August2010071.jpg

Add one quart beef stock and 1 seeded and diced tomato. Stir well, bring to a boil, reduce heat.

August2010072.jpg

Return the steaks to the pan, cover, simmer for 2 hours. If you use pork, you will only need an hour and 15 minutes.
August2010073.jpg

Grillades are traditionally served over grits. Don't use instant grits. "No self respecting southerner uses instant grits!" Follow the recipe on the package, substituting half milk for half the water, add grated cheddar cheese and green onions.

August2010077.jpg

August2010079.jpg

Serve with a zinfandel wine.

K

Kimchee

Ah, looks good! Since I'm a non-traditionalist (who doesn't much care for grits),
I think I'd use mashed taters!
Country fried steak is what I always called these delicious things.
Soft like the butter you browned them in huh?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, the meat was as soft as could be. Still needed a knife to cut it, but could probably have been equally as successful with just a fork.

These steaks were called minute steaks when I was younger. It's an odd looking piece of meat, kind of pounded out, with indentations in it. It's not a very expensive piece of meat, either. Marianne would saute some onions in butter and then add pieces of this steak to the pan. Since it was called minute steak, she literally cooked it a minute per side. Then, she'd serve it on italian bread and call it a steak sandwich. Yes, it was steak, and yes, it was a sandwich...but biting into it was a lesson in futility. You'd take a normal bite and the entire piece of meat would be pulled from between the bread and slap you in the chin. Or, you'd have to squeeze the bread so tightly to be able to pull a bite off. You gotta love my mom...her heart was in the right place, but she had no concept of low and slow.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I love dishes like this, but, alas, my son won't eat it. Anything that's not med. rare results in moaning and groaning. If I tell my wife, "I'm gonna make ?????" that's cooked through (like a smoked brisket) I get a "Josh doesn't like that." If I want to sleep through the night unmolested, I make something else...

Phiddlechik

I guess he goes hungry then?

Those look good! I have never had grits, but like polenta. Not a fan of hominy, so not sure if I'd like grits...

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Great cookery lesson, Vera - thanks for the step by step pics. Looks like something we would really enjoy.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I love dishes like this, but, alas, my son won't eat it. Anything that's not med. rare results in moaning and groaning. If I tell my wife, "I'm gonna make ?????" that's cooked through (like a smoked brisket) I get a "Josh doesn't like that." If I want to sleep through the night unmolested, I make something else...

Personally, I prefer everything rare...(with the exception of chicken)..but this isn't one of those dishes that is a singular piece of flesh.. This is as much about the gravy as it is about the meat.

I say make the dish and just give your son the gravy and grits. This way, you get what you want, and he may try something new.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Personally, I prefer everything rare...(with the exception of chicken)..but this isn't one of those dishes that is a singular piece of flesh.. This is as much about the gravy as it is about the meat.

I say make the dish and just give your son the gravy and grits. This way, you get what you want, and he may try something new.

Yes, and yours looks perfect :thumb:.