My first brisket

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The average size brisket will take a very long time to smoke at even 225 degrees. Figure about 2 hours per pound at that temp.

High Cheese

Saucier
lol...it's pouring rain now. Should taper off in the next hour. I only got a little one, like 2 pounds. My store has the fresh ones for Yom Kiipor I guess. The rub is basicaly salt, pepper, paprika, salt/onion powder and a bit of cayenne. Was gonna try to get it done for lunch.

High Cheese

Saucier
I couldn't wait anymore and lugged the smoker up onto the deck under the umbrella...busted a shin in the process, anyway "Success!" (gotta tell the DW she needs to touch up some of the deck railings...lol)

IMG_3106.jpg

Here's the brisket awaiting coals.

IMG_3104.jpg

chowhound

That looks very similar to the one I did, not the whole huge packer, but the tip I think it's called... The leftovers were turned into a great chili.

High Cheese

Saucier
It doesn't have much fat on it so I think I'm going to have to make a mop. I as going to lay some bacon on it but IDK, I think it would be too much.

I'm using red oak wood and oak charcoal for fuel.

GrillinFool

Foil it for at least an hour on the grill with a little mop sauce or beer in there. It will do wonders to break down the connective tissue and make it tender...

Never thought about using brisket for chili. That's a great call. Been working on perfecting my brisket lately, as has my dad, and my family is a little brisketted out. In other words they want us to shake up the menu a bit. But if I made for me and maybe a couple of buddies and used the rest for chili it wouldn't go to waste... And this helps too as I am near brisket addicted right now.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I really envy you guys who have a smoker and know how to use it! Great job! I wouldn't know the first thing or what to do with a smoker, lol

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Jeeks - Does your smoker have a door on the right end of the firebox? If yes, do you use it?

High Cheese

Saucier
Jeeks - Does your smoker have a door on the right end of the firebox? If yes, do you use it?

The side of the firebox is where you remove the ashtray and there's a damper. That damper is the one I use to control the temps, the damper on the stack stays open all the time.

BTW - I did install a baffle in the cooking chamber to direct the draft towards the middle, seems to work pretty good so far. Gonna take some pics in a bit.

Andy, once I get my coals started I set the damper in the middle to see what kind of temps I get after 10 minutes or so and adjust from there. I was running about 240-250 today so I had to close it up a bit. Right now I'm at 225. It all depends on the type of fuel I'm using too. When I add a chunk of oak I need to pretty much close it all the way cuz it gets too hot.

IMG_3107.jpg

WTH, I threw on some bacon. L2Q made me do it. lol It's at 150 right now, I still made a mop using a Corona and brown sugar. I tried wrapping meats in foil a coupla times but didn't think it really added anything. I just watch my temps and try to keep the meat damp.

IMG_3108.jpg

Here's the diffuser. I used a 24" section of round duct, flattened and curved to the shape of the opening. Gonna take some getting used to since I nearly grilled my brisket. lol I really need that vert. smoker.

IMG_3109.jpg

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Jay - I wanted to go this way with my Silver Smoker. It is about the same smoker as yours, only backwards. I had it all planned out this spring, but, did not get there. I still want to do the reverse flow mod. After seeing Bam's UDS, and his charcoal basket I was not so sure that I wanted to go to all the expense and time of th propane conversion anymore. The only problem is, I like the idea of lighting a few coals and letting the rest slowly ignite. There are so many air leaks in the firebox that it just dosen't work.

Sooooo Current plan is to weld the firebox to the smoke drum. I have a door that opens in the end. I can get the ashes out through the big door like you have. Weld the door. Then I would just have the damper similar to yours. I think with reduced air leaks and the reverse flow, it would be a pretty good smoker. Since the welder is sitting in the garage and I have a new box of rods, I would like to give it a try. I am having trouble getting a steel plate for inside the smoke drum though.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Grilling Fool's suggestion regarding wrapping the brisket in heavy duty foil with some mop and beer is a good one, especially with a lean little chunk like you have, HC.

I do that when my brisket temp is 160, and finish it in the foil.

Bet it's smellin' good about now, huh? Good luck!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Hmmm...maybe I'll try it with the brisket. I tried it with ribs once or twice and it really didn't do anything.

It's about 160 now, taking longer than I thought. :\

Oh yeah, that diffuser pretty much just moves the hot-spot from the far right to the center. Adds heat to the left side of the cooking chamber but still not even.

High Cheese

Saucier
Stall is right! Once it hit 170 it shot up. I caught it jus over 190, let it rest about 10 minutes.

Came out great, I don't like the fat line rnning through it but it is what it is. Was definately moist.

IMG_3112.jpg

suziquzie

thanks for this thread jeeks..... ugh crap sorry..... cheese......

brisket is first on our list once we get a smoker :)

Love2"Q"

looks great .. your pics are some of the best ...
really love watching through the cook and the updates ..