I think I found my range

FryBoy

I'll be very interested in hearing about your experience with it.

Any reason you're learning toward induction instead of natural gas?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is more efficient, faster and capable of cooking at low heats which can be very important in making some sauces. I know my little Circulon single burner will bring 7qts of tap cold water to a rolling boil in about 8 minutes compared to almost 15 on my electric stove which is faster than most gas stoves. All in all I just think it is a more efficient, energy saving method of cooking besides being much safer as only the pot gets hot not the stove. I also like the idea of a convection oven that this also has.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm drooling, Joe. It sure seems to be everything you wanted and more! I've never used induction but I can tell you that having convection available is awesome! I have it in my stove too and it makes a huge difference in your baked goods!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't bake now but would get into it with the right oven. I haven't had a pizza in years made locally that I like and would go to making my own then.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You will definitely bake more with this oven. Cookies, pizza, breads - yum! But it's great for finishing off casseroles, etc - just turn on convection for the last few minutes and you get a lovely golden crust.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I watched the green channel a bit today and they installed this stove into a home and showed it off a bit. Really good looking setup too.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I was hoping already but it has been pushed back to early next year. The stove may come sooner as well as a new refrigerator but we will see. I have 5 roofs to do this year a bit unexpectedly and some major concrete work on the south end of the property due to Lowe's drainage washing out the foundation. We are about $15K per building work and about $60K for concrete job and foundation. So I've pushed the kitchen remodel back a bit for now but who knows if the occupancy stays like it has so far I might do it a bit earlier.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Viking are outragously over priced in my opinion and they don't make one. The only one I've ever seen in a range with induction top to date is one made in Denmark which was over $8K in price. This is the first I've seen below that price and it has induction oven which I would also love, something the Danish model didn't have though it was 36" wide but then I don't have room for a 36" top much less a whole range. I do have a limited space for this as my kitchen is small.

smoke king

Banned
That is very nice indeed Joe. I've looked at that whole "Elite" line, and I've been impressed. Keep in mind, thats just my non-professional, hash-slingin' opinion though!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never owned one but have seen them before. I'm really more impressed with the induction top of the range.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
What a timely topic. I was listening to a cooking show on the AM radio today, and they were discussing all the various stove/range options. In a nutshell, induction is the most efficient and the most expensive to buy, followed by electric with coil burners (most expensive to operate). They said that if you are expecting to save enough in electricity to offset the high cost of induction, that it will not happen. Induction is for people who are genuinely concerned with energy efficiency, regardless of the cost (Green people). The best bang for the buck is with natural gas, provided it is available in your home already. To have it brought to the house will eliminate any potential savings, much like the induction.

Just a note on convection ovens. they really do an excellent job of cooking foods efficiently and quicker, but if you get a model that has the fan in the cooking chamber, it reduces the depth of your shelves by the thickness of the fan and housing (up to 3" based on model). We learned this when we replaced our stove earlier this year.

If I was replacing my kitchen cabinets, I would gladly give up 6" of cabinet & counter space to permit the installation of a 36" gas stove so I could use full size baking sheets and have 6 full size burners. A 30" conventional range will handle a 3/4 size sheet pan in the oven (4 full size loaves of Italian bread), and a 30" convection with internal fan will only allow a 1/2 size sheet pan for baking (2 full size loaves of Italian bread). If you're not baking in volume it probably makes no difference which way you go, but when I baked 30 loaves of bread in one day, I was glad I had teh standard oven chamber.

Just my 2 cents.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The differs greatly from my research on induction compared to the other methods of cooking. As for natural gas I have it in the utility room on the hot water heater but not in the kitchen and piping it there is almost as expensive as the stove as it would required opening up a slab to do it then sealing it back as we have no attic space to run gas a gas line in if it could be done it would mean a lot of dry wall replacement etc.

Now as for efficiency I was talking in regards to cooking efficiency not power saving though it does that too. Gas is about the least efficient really of all three types. Gas is fine for high heat but so can electric is a bit harder to get their with it will boil a pot of water faster than gas will. Induction has them both beat in that the heat changes are quicker than either, lower heats are more real as well as temperature control and the kitchen just stays cooler than either gas or electric as you don't have anything heating that has too cool except the pan itself.

Last edited:

Ratton

Hi Joe,

Nice find Joe!! I certainly am enjoying my counter top single burner induction unit!! I just wish I had discovered induction cooking earlier!!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I love mine to, I actually cook with it more than my full stove now. Nasty Europeans hold out on us with the technology since they have used it for a number of years now. :whistling: