Pizza Sauce

Leni

I'm sure that someone out there has a good recipe for pizza sauce. The tomaotes keep coming and I've got to do something with them.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if I want pizza, I make it myself . . . couple years back started that with home frozen tomatoes - it is stellar, everybody raves about it, so here's my deal:

homemade crust - Jamie Oliver's recipe - using semolina. a KA with a dough hook removes the drudge work.

garden fresh tomatoes, cored, quartered, cooked down - when I have lots of green peppers, some diced peppers and onions may go in. not seeded, not peeled.... no added salt not added sugar . . . .

use a stick blender to make is as "smooth" as you want - I personally like some smallish chunks. don't overcook it - either the fresh or from frozen. cooked too long it develops a ketchup type taste - not recommended.

I put it on the dough hot; baked on a oven stone at 450'F - 11-13 minutes.

all the other toppings are standard fare - freshly prepared, but sliced onion, mushroom, green pepper, fresh sauted sausage now and then - mild Italian loose style

store bought / sliced pepperoni, for more than one 10"er I buy pre-grated cheese - the "off the block" cut if I can get it.

people's reaction is "wow this is so fresh and clean tasting" - which I think is due entirely to the _lack_ of kitchen sink seasoning of the tomato sauce . . .

fwiw.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I actually just use my own red sauce but for pizza thin it a bit by using a stick blender and add a small amount of water to thin it. Heat it and good to go. I use the same basic sauce for anything from spaghetti to pizza but add to it as necessary as needed. I never use anything but plum tomatoes and usually only San Marzano tomatoes as they require no sugar at all.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
We are big fans of Mrs. Wages sauce mixes. Like Joe we just vary what goes in depending on what we are making. The spaghetti sauce mix gets a variety of items including green peppers and onions as well as shredded zucchini. Various herbs but she adds those when I ain't looking. LOL

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We are big fans of Mrs. Wages sauce mixes. Like Joe we just vary what goes in depending on what we are making. The spaghetti sauce mix gets a variety of items including green peppers and onions as well as shredded zucchini. Various herbs but she adds those when I ain't looking. LOL

I use both red and green bell pepper and onions however never used zucchini or carrots (mother in law did this for tomato sauce). I make about 6 qts a month and add meats (meatballs/sausage) to the saved sauce sometimes but it does keep well in both the refrigerator and freezer.

PanchoHambre

Too many tomatoes is my gardening fantasy - I never get enough

I would make a simple multi purpose tomato sauce - seasoned with just a bit of garlic and basil then freeze in portions - so that you can defrost and modify as needed.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
You can use fresh tomatoes - just make sure to seed them first. I don't both with skinning them because I roll them through the food processor first.
You'll need olive oil and garlic to start with. Then add your tomatoes. If you like oregano in your pizza sauce, add it with the garlic if you are using dry, or with the tomatoes if you are doing fresh.
Add S&P and some hot pepper flakes. The best pizza sauce only takes about 10-15 minutes for a very fresh, garden taste. Add some basil and then top your crust.
This doesn't work especially well with a thin crust because the tomatoes are still a bit on the watery side.
This will taste just like summer.