Anyone here can their spaghetti sauce?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Tonight I canned my first batch of spaghetti sauce to free up freezer space for good buys on meat. With the increasing food prices, taking advantage of BOGO deals is just being fiscally responsible. Does anyone else here can their sauce vs freezing it?

SpaghettiSauce.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
i used to can tomatoes, and sauce if i made extra, but now i just freeze everything.

i have to admit that canning keeps both tasting much more fresh. freezing takes something away from the flavour.

my freezer is packed to it's limits, so i'm going to have to start using some of it up or start canning again when they invent 29 hour days.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I used to can spaghetti sauce, years ago. I don't have any canning equipment anymore, and cannot get jars, etc. anyway. I know my sister still cans spaghetti sauce every year. I really think it is preferable to freezing. Like Bucky says, there are some subtle flavor and textural changes when you freeze tomato products. Your jars look very impressive, Joe. I used to love to look at my newly canned goods, all lined up. I was like a librarian who secretly wants all the books checked in and on their shelves. It looked so pretty, I was reluctant to eat it up.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
i used to can tomatoes, and sauce if i made extra, but now i just freeze everything.

i have to admit that canning keeps both tasting much more fresh. freezing takes something away from the flavour.

my freezer is packed to it's limits, so i'm going to have to start using some of it up or start canning again when they invent 29 hour days.
I guess that means you did not get the memo the rest of us got...:yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I make about 6 qts every 2 to 3 weeks. I simply put it in Bell Jars and freeze it. We go through it pretty fast around here.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used to can spaghetti sauce, years ago. I don't have any canning equipment anymore, and cannot get jars, etc. anyway. I know my sister still cans spaghetti sauce every year. I really think it is preferable to freezing. Like Bucky says, there are some subtle flavor and textural changes when you freeze tomato products. Your jars look very impressive, Joe. I used to love to look at my newly canned goods, all lined up. I was like a librarian who secretly wants all the books checked in and on their shelves. It looked so pretty, I was reluctant to eat it up.

Great, and well-described visual, Karen!

I empathize!

Lee