gas, charcoal, or wood

Rustpot

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What do you say? Do you prefer to BBQ with gas, charcoal, or wood? or Does it matter?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]:weber:[/FONT]

Guts

I have a charcoal and a gas barbecue. In fact I just bought the Genesis SS Weber barbecue. the charcoal grill is a 22 inch Weber also. Some things I like to do on charcoal but in general I use the gas barbecue. Now I'd really like to have a outdoor wood burning oven to make pizzas breads, but not limited to bread and pizza. It's in oven you can cook anything that would normally be cooked in oven, such as a roast.

Rustpot

Now I'd really like to have a outdoor wood burning oven to make pizzas breads, but not limited to bread and pizza. It's in oven you can cook anything that would normally be cooked in oven, such as a roast.

Guts is the fire built in the oven? or outside the oven box, where the heat warms the oven box to cook the food? Is it made from brick or metal? I have always wanted to build an outside wood burning grill with a brick oven built into it.

K

Kimchee

I always had gas grills, but recently had to replace mine.
This time around, I got a charcoal grill.... it was time
to change!
(And it's been raining steadily since then and I haven't even
gotten the chance to season the thing. GRRRR!)

Guts

Rustpot

There are lots of different styles and types, you see sometimes in pizza restaurants. They're basically a fireplace with a round dome that you build the fire in and it has a door that can be shut to bring the heat up. Here's a link that I just googled up that will give you an idea of the type of oven that I was thinking about.
could not edit 61 minutes later
http://www.losangelesovenworks.com/?gclid=CJOm87PF3qwCFeYZQgodYAwwMA

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I used to go charcoal then i got a cheap gas grill. It had one hot spot and the rest were cold. :angry: Horrible grill. I finally upgraded last year to a very nice Weber gas grill. Love it. No more hot spots. I can easily do indirect heat by choosing which burners to turn on. So much better to use than the cheap gas grill.

However, as things often do, I'm going full circle and now I would love to add a little green egg charcoal grill to my stable. Seeing what some have cooked on there 'egg' has made me drool. One of these days I'll have one of those too.

High Cheese

Saucier
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]What do you say? Do you prefer to BBQ with gas, charcoal, or wood? or Does it matter?[/FONT]

Depends what I'm cooking. I have 6 grills that all do different things. If I want some wood smoke but want it quick, I'll add a pouch of wood chips to the gas grill. My smoker has a side fire box, so I can use lump or wood in that to smoke or direct grill with briquettes or lump in the main chamber. I also have a camping grill, just a wire grate, that I use over a truck rim out in the yard.

Between lump and briquettes, I prefer lump because it burns hotter and I can never get briquettes hot enough. But I do like Match-Light chemical flavor on hotdogs.

IMG_00831.jpg

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a Charbroil gas grill and a gas smoker. I personally have never liked the taste of charcoal cooked foods, just me though. I also find easier to control cooking temps with gas never could seem to get it right with charcoal grills.

Leni

I've cooked with all three and really prefer using lump charcoal. Gas just does not have the flavor that I want.

LETHAL GTS

However, as things often do, I'm going full circle and now I would love to add a little green egg charcoal grill to my stable. Seeing what some have cooked on there 'egg' has made me drool. One of these days I'll have one of those too.

I am definitely buying a Green egg or a similar Kamado grill.
I have never owned one, but have a done a ton of homework.
Sounds like the one for me.
it seems it will do ALL the above things everyone has mentioned.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm only charcoal, with wood chunks to flavor.

I have two Weber Smoky Mountain bullet smokers and a Weber kettle.

I haven't cooked on a gas grill for over 20 years.

Lee

Johnny West

Wood and charcoal. I had a gas grill too, but Matt blew out the glass trying to do burgers in an ice cold downpour after one of his football games in high school - 1997.