Who Bought an I-pad Yesterday?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Did any of you buy an I-pad yesterday?

This latest electronis device which is made by Apple, went on sale yesterday morning at Apple stores all over the country.

People were camping out and stayed the night, reguardless of what the weather was like, at Apple stores and other dept. stores like Walmart, Best Buy and others just to get their hands on one.

A whopping 2 million examples of this latest fad / craze are expected to be sold in record time! Cost is just over $500 each. I'll pass. :bounce:

Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I passed too. No new gadgets for me until this fall when I'll spring for a new TV. :wink:

Shermie

Site Supporter
It's supposed to work like a computer, but it is limited as for what it can do. It can't replace a computer altogether. :bonk:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If Apple makes it I tune it out completely. Apple is a company to me that should simply go away so I don't support them by buying their products. Did once and will never do it again.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
If Apple makes it I tune it out completely. Apple is a company to me that should simply go away so I don't support them by buying their products. Did once and will never do it again.

Instead of their products, you should have bought their common stock. :yum:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
For what it is I do think it's cool, and I predict it will be another big hit for Apple. It will do email and web browsing (but will not run flash web content). It can also serve as an ebook reader, which could be very handy.
The price of 499 to 800 surprised me. Just a little bit more than the iPhone was when it started out. It's a lot like an overgrown iPhone. It will run iPhone apps and it is expected that folks who write iPhone apps will take advantage of the iPads extra real estate to make for some better functioning / better performing apps. A few notchs above what is offered for the iPhone.
The geek in me wants one, but my limited pocket book says wait and see how this plays out. Apple would be a good stock to invest in at this juncture IMHO.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I haven't yet figured out just what market this machine is supposed to fill. My most recent laptop purchase will do everything that this machine will do, and, as I understand it, will do a lot of things that it won't do. All for $500, the entry level price for this gadget, which can run to $1000. I am not going to carry an additional computer solely to utilize the internet, along with the laptop. In short, the laptop will substitute for the Ipad, but the Ipad will not substitute for the laptop.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Without flash and Java it is too crippled for me.

I do agree with Doc, I am sure that it will sell well.

Apple seems to be able to garner a following that takes what Apple gives them and holds it high on a pedestal.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Apple computers is about 3-4% of the market shares in computers sold. The main reason is everything they make is propitiatory only and not open to the rest of the market to build parts for. Hence they are over priced, and locking one into their system only.

Lefty

Yank
Um, no thanks.......

Attachments

• ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 147

vyapti

Just another example of more idiocy to distract the masses from the more meaningful things in life. . . .
. . . People are not wearing enough hats. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2QJvc_SxFQ"]people are not wearing enough hats[/ame].

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, I mistakenly said it did not run Java in my original post in this thread. I had a brain fart ...I meant to say it would not run flash, and have changed my post accordingly. Sorry for any confusion on the issue.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Doc. Not running flash is still enough to cripple it in my opinion.

An awful lot of websites use flash. I read that Apple doesn't like flash because it uses a lot of resources and drains the battery. Most likely all true. The fact remains - an awful lot of websites use flash.

Lorallie's fitst cartoon aims up my view on Apple very nicely.

I bought an Apple to learn it to support customers. It's a computer. It has bugs an high points like anything else. It is definately NOT the cyber version of the holy grail.

FryBoy

I see that the media are reporting today that Apple sold 300,000 iPad units yesterday.

H.L. Mencken lives!

FryBoy

The major issues with the iPad that have surfaced:

1. The keyboard

The iPad’s lack of a tactile keyboard was always going to be an issue, but typing on the iPad is not as easy as you might hope. To be used for email and short messages only.

2. No camera

An odd oversight, this is one that has many fans stumped. The iPad could have been great for video calling.

3. No Flash support

So many good websites use Adobe Flash that Apple’s ongoing stoush with the technology is becoming a big issue. This gadget screens websites in full size, but some still won’t show due to this omission.

4. Weighty

Heavier than the biggest Kindle, the iPad could be hard to hold with one hand for an extended period.

5. No memory card slot

The iPad is so good with photos, but they must be side-loaded from a computer as this tablet computer has no space for memory cards without adding an adapter (still unavailable -- see #10).

6. No GPS chip in Wi-Fi model

It can still guess your location from your WiFi connection, but the lack of a GPS chip is disappointing.

7. No HD video output

You can connect the iPad to a television but videos won’t play in high-definition. The best it can muster is a resolution of 576p.

8. Minimal Memory

This expensive toy has a paltry 256MB of RAM, the same as the iPhone.

9. No multi-tasking

You can only do one thing at a time on the iPad, just as with the iPhone. Sadly, this is one thing that netbooks have over the device.

10. Delayed accessories

The keyboard and memory card adapter will make up for some important omissions, but are not yet available.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good info Doug.

I had to look up who H.L. Mencken was.

I thought this quote is quite appropriate for what we are seeing today:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary.

FryBoy

Actually, the two Mencken quotes I had in mind are these:

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

"No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby."

And, of course, the wisdom of P.T. Barnum always seems appropriate during such buying frenzies:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

Seriously, how many jerks will kill how many innocents by driving while watching movies or texting on their new toy?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good quotes, and they do indeed apply. :thumb:

I suspect we might see some iPads on ebay for a mucho cheaper price in a few months. Or will they be able to admit they made a mistake? Apple has been known for being able to pull their proverbial butt from the fire just in time ...your item 10 might save them if they can announce it will be out soon at their June Apple Symposium. They won't even have to have it in hand, simply make the announcement. Apple always gives plenty of lead time on what's coming down the pike.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Rob. I knew you were looking for an ebook reader for your wife, so you got that and more.

Looking forward to a user review after you've had a break in period with it. I'm sure right now you are loving it. :D :thumb:

FryBoy

Good quotes, and they do indeed apply. :thumb:

I suspect we might see some iPads on ebay for a mucho cheaper price in a few months. Or will they be able to admit they made a mistake? Apple has been known for being able to pull their proverbial butt from the fire just in time ...your item 10 might save them if they can announce it will be out soon at their June Apple Symposium. They won't even have to have it in hand, simply make the announcement. Apple always gives plenty of lead time on what's coming down the pike.
It's a friggin' CULT!
690.gif

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Ugggh! I haven't been able to use it! A truck hit a pole somewhere and our internet has been down since we got home! They say it should be back up soon.