Muffin Tin Thighs

Dogboa

If you have ever seen any competition BBQ show or have watched "BBQ Pitmasters", then you will know who Myron Mixon is. The recipe and method I used for these come from his book "Smoking with Myron Mixon". Yes he is an arrogant, self aggrandizing ........, but the man can "Q". For the rub and sauces he gives you two choices, a generic that you can make or his (Jack's Old South) which you have to buy from him. I chose to use the generic. I did these on the Egg, using cherry chunks over hardwood charcoal.:weber:

picture.php

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dogboa, are you a BBQ competitor?

I was, am now retired, and that muffin-tin thigh technique was just coming into vogue as I left the circuit.

I've never done it, and have not cooked with other BBQ cooks when they've used that method.

Do you actually fit the thighs to fit muffin tins? Isn't there a Parkay butter bath involved?

Would love more details, when you have the chance!

Yours look beautiful! How is the skin?

Lee

Johnny West

It's the first I heard of this, googled it, and looks like something I'd like to try.

Jack's rub is a basic rub with ingredients we all use.

Jack's Old South BBQ Rub:
1/4 cup brown sugar.
1/4 cup sweet paprika.
1/4 cup kosher salt.
3 tablespoons black pepper.
2 teaspoons garlic powder.
2 teaspoons onion powder.
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
1 teaspoon dried basil.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jacks-bbq-chicken-recipe

Like Ironman, I'm getting the urge to do some Summer barbecue.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
He doesn't compete, but I, along with others lucky enough to have had it, think his pulled pork is competition worthy. It's scrumptious. I love the muffin tin thighs, even when he doesn't follow the recipe exactly; but, when he does, OMG, heaven in a bite! He'll have to answer about the technique details but they do fit in the muffin tins.

Dogboa

Dogboa, are you a BBQ competitor?

I was, am now retired, and that muffin-tin thigh technique was just coming into vogue as I left the circuit.

I've never done it, and have not cooked with other BBQ cooks when they've used that method.

Do you actually fit the thighs to fit muffin tins? Isn't there a Parkay butter bath involved?

Would love more details, when you have the chance!

Yours look beautiful! How is the skin?

Lee

I always associated "Parkay with margerine. No, I only compete with myself and cater to my families likes. BBQ judges have been known to have their heads where the sun don't shine! Just like chili competition judges. LOL!

Dogboa

Would love more details, when you have the chance!Lee

Actually Myron calls them "Cup Cake Thighs", but his photo shows a muffin pan. The first time I made them, I used an aluminum cup cake pan. Not knowing how much we'd like them. I still use aluminum for the "water" pan and tray, but have made the actual "muffin Tin" from a standard cup cake pan. You have to drill/poke holes in each of the pan "cups". I used a 1/8" drill bit and made 4, evenly (more or less) spaced holes in each "cup". This pan sits inside the aluminum pan, leaving a space underneath for liquid. I haven't found an actual baking ware pan that the cup cake pan will fit into, that is deep enough.

The chicken thighs get each bone end snipped off with kitchen shears, the excess fat is removed and the skin is trimmed to just cover the top side, like a turtle shell. The trimmed bone allows you to form a nice, tight "package" of the thigh that will fit in the cups. I try to make sure the thighs are of a consistent size for even cooking. I usually have to buy a couple family packs to get enough thighs of the same size. Just before prepping the chicken, I bring the Egg up to 300F, indirect by using the plate setter. Right before the chicken goes on, I drop several cherry chunks on the coals, put the grate in and wait till that sweet, thin blue smoke is coming out of the daisy wheel vents. Never, ever soak the chunks! That leads to nasty, acrid, white smoke. The thighs get generously sprinkled with the rub on both sides and placed skin side down in the cups. There is no "marinading" time. The pan goes on the Egg, chicken stock goes in the pan (I pre-measured the level so it doesn't get into the cups), the tin goes in the pan and the dome is closed. They go for 1-1/2 hours. The pan, with the tin gets remove, the thighs get sprinkled with S&P, flipped in the cups so the skin is up and returned to the Egg for another 45 minutes. Now they are removed from the tin and placed skin side up on the tray, spread out as in my picture, slathered generously with the sauce/glaze and returned to the Egg for another 30 minutes. The cooking times are relative and you have to use an instant read to determine doneness. I check the glazed thighs every 10 minutes to make sure it is thick but not burning. Remember this isn't a Bobby Flay thing where burnt skin is "just what you're looking for".:D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the great post above, Dogboa - I really appreciate it!

And for adding the sauce details, thank you, too, Medtran!

Lee

Dogboa

BTW, I like the vinegar sauce on pulled pork. It would probably make a good, non-mayo dressing for coleslaw, with a little tweaking.