Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hamilton Beach stand mixer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

leolady

Just being nosey and an electric mixer freak, I have to know...........:ohmy:

What do you like about it?

What don't you like?

If you don't like it, are you replacing it? If so, with what?

What do you use it for?

In other words.......I want to pick your brains and find out if you like, what I like.:clap:

I'm a KitchenAid Kinda Guy. Had my grandmother's from the 40's for over 20 years, before I bought this one. It is the older tilt model. I couldnt cook without it. Substantial, reliable, not overly fancy.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a Kitchen Aid KMS90 300 watts for about 20 years now. It never has been a problem with me only having to replace one of the rubber feet on the bottom when we moved to here from Florida. It gets used a few times a week here and I use a lot of the attachments which I've purchased over the years. I use it mostly for grinding my meats (pork and beef) as well as for making sausage. I also have the pasta setup for it though I don't use it as often as I like. I also have the food mill that is pretty good also. My wife uses it mostly for cakes and puddings.

PanchoHambre

Well you know but I will tell you again anyway

I have 2 old Mixmasters

1 chrome one from the 70's? and and old battered one from the 40s?

The chrome one is prettier... but I bought the other for its meat grinder attachment... and just to see if the darn thing would work. it is pretty cool but scary. I would like to get a new cord for it LOL!

I also have a newer Braun immersion blender i don't like much and a horrendous Cuisinart blender/food processor thingamagig that needs to be replaced.

There is a "junk" store nearby that has a handful of old Kitchenaids but they are a bit expensive... maybe when the kitchen finally gets done and I have some display space.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
No stand mixer yet, just got a KA food processor last year, so maybe this year DW will bless me with one, LOL.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I love my KA. It's an older one made by Hobart. 6-quarts and will mix anything.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I also have a KSM90, but have no idea if it's Hobart or Whirlpool. All I know is that it cranks out bread dough, batch after batch after batch, and never a whimper out of it. I've thought of replacing it with something more trendy like a Viking, but I'll just wait until this one dies. My guess is that I'll be gone before it quits. LOL

Oh. DW reminded me that we have a Sunbeam in the basement with all the attachments they made for it. we didn't want to get rid of it when we got the KA, so it's been down there for years.

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have a Kitchen Aid KMS90 300 watts for about 20 years now. It never has been a problem with me only having to replace one of the rubber feet on the bottom when we moved to here from Florida. It gets used a few times a week here and I use a lot of the attachments which I've purchased over the years. I use it mostly for grinding my meats (pork and beef) as well as for making sausage. I also have the pasta setup for it though I don't use it as often as I like. I also have the food mill that is pretty good also. My wife uses it mostly for cakes and puddings.

I have the same one and bake with it all the time. It was a gift from my folks long ago. I even have the flour attachment but I never use it. I have considered buying other attachments but have not as yet--other than my latest acquisition of the copper bowl insert. woo hoo!

It took a while to get use to how efficient it is compared to the old Hamilton Beach Scovil mixer or the old Sumbeam that I use to use.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I didn't think about the question completely but I also have a Bruan stick blender, and Oster blender with a food processor bowl (small one) and a full size GE 4 speed food processor. I also have a wide deep fryer, Waring Pro Meat slicer, rice cooker and couple of Bruan Coffee grinders (use for my spice blends).

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I have my moms Oster. It is a blender/mixer/ice cream maker/ meat grinder/ food processor.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
All I know about the KSM90 is it has metal gears. This is suppose to have been changed when the company was sold and started being made in China to plastic gears. Mine says it was made in the US so have no idea the company just assumed it was made by Kitchen Aid.

leolady

I also have a KSM90, but have no idea if it's Hobart or Whirlpool. All I know is that it cranks out bread dough, batch after batch after batch, and never a whimper out of it. I've thought of replacing it with something more trendy like a Viking, but I'll just wait until this one dies. My guess is that I'll be gone before it quits. LOL

Oh. DW reminded me that we have a Sunbeam in the basement with all the attachments they made for it. we didn't want to get rid of it when we got the KA, so it's been down there for years.

Both of you JOES have Whirlpool KA's! Vote on the poll please! :biggrin:

gadzooks

Leolady, you know...I started out with a gifted Hobart Kitchen Aid K45, and was gonna use it forever, but gave it away when I found a Hobart N-50 in a thrift store for $7 + tax. I gave 'em $8 and said, "Oh, that's OK, keep the change." Made the lady at the counter happy. It was nearly half a buck. What do I like about it? Everything! This baby will pull three water-skiers at a time and make a perfect meringue. Mix 14 cup bread all day long, and never complain.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Funny you ask. We have a kitchen Aid. I don't know how to tell if it's Whirpool or Holbart.
After opening this forum a year ago I found out how many folks really love their Kitchen Aids, so I got one for my wife for anniversary last year. It's the big 6 quart highest power available. Got a good deal on Amazon for it. My wife loves it. Before that she never had a stand mixer.

leolady

Doc you have a Whirlpool KA.

You can tell the Hobart KA mixers because they have Hobart on the name band. If there is nothing on the band it is a Whirlpool KA.

AllenOK

I voted "None". I am currently without a stand mixer.

I inherited a Hobart KA-5 many years ago. It finally gave up the ghost about 3 or 4 years ago. I have not been able to replace it. Hopefully I will soon, but that's debateable. Honestly, I don't bake much anymore, and what little I need a mixer for, I've been able to get by with a cheap handheld mixer.

Wart

Banned
Funny you ask. We have a kitchen Aid. I don't know how to tell if it's Whirpool or Holbart.

If it breaks or burns up its a Whirlpool.

I have a KA Pro 600, it does OK, better than the two Pro 5 mixers I dealt death to within a year.

I use it mostly for bread.

This 600 is rated for 14 cups ... 14 cups of what I don't know. get around 8 or 9 cups of flour in a sticky bread dough and the bowl does a warpy thing, I see stress fractures in the bowls future,.

Won't surprise me if I burn up the motor, too.

In retrospect,and as I have read may times from some people , I should have gone to a kitchen supply/ Hobart dealer and checked out their used equipment.

Next time.

FryBoy

I've had mix masters most of my life as that's what my mom used and what I learned on, and she gave us one when we got married in 1968. About 10 years ago we decided to get a KitchenAid Artisan series, but had problems with that, so we sold it on Ebay and got another MixMaster.

However, this past December we moved up to a KitchenAid Pro 600, mostly because of the price; it cost us all of $47.41
including tax, new in the box, undamaged, full warranty.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
One morning we were reading the L.A. Times and drinking our coffee when I noticed a Macy's ad for a sale on KitchenAid mixers. The 4.5 quart was $199.99, the 5 quart was $299.99, and the 6 quart Pro 600 was, according to the ad, $99.99!

The $99.99 price was obviously a misprint, and it stuck out to my eye like a sore thumb -- it helps to know the merchandise and prices. I didn't really expect them to sell it to me for that price, but my wife insisted that we go and see anyway.

I took the ad with us, and we arrived about 10 minutes before the store opened and went to housewares promptly at 9:00 a.m. I expected there to be a mob of people clamoring for a new mixer at that incredible price, but we were about the only ones in the huge Del Amo Macy's. I guess we're among the last subscribers to the daily paper.

To my surprise, the housewares manager sold the Metallic Pearl mixer to me for the advertised price without any objection. Indeed, she gave me an additional $10 off due to a Friends & Family Sale (is Macy's EVER without a sale of some sort?), bringing the price down to $89.99 plus tax, less the $50 rebate from Kitchenaid, for a final cost to me of $47.41 (plus 41¢ for the stamp to mail the rebate form).

I immediately posted news of the deal on wine and other cooking sites I frequent, and a couple of people ran right to the nearest Macy's. However, they later told me that when they entered the stores they found posted notices that the price of the KA Pro 600 advertised in the Times was a misprint, that the real price was $399.99, no exceptions.

The early bird....
[/FONT] :chef:

BTW, I LOVE it!

FryBoy

If it breaks or burns up its a Whirlpool.

I have a KA Pro 600, it does OK, better than the two Pro 5 mixers I dealt death to within a year.

I use it mostly for bread.

This 600 is rated for 14 cups ... 14 cups of what I don't know. get around 8 or 9 cups of flour in a sticky bread dough and the bowl does a warpy thing, I see stress fractures in the bowls future,.

Won't surprise me if I burn up the motor, too.

In retrospect,and as I have read may times from some people , I should have gone to a kitchen supply/ Hobart dealer and checked out their used equipment.

Next time.
Most of the problems with the recent KitchenAid mixers were due to the plastic gears and gearboxes used in them. However, about two years ago or so, KA went back to all-metal gears and gearboxes like they had when Hobart ran the show, their so-called "new platform." The newer mixers are a little nosier, but they should last a whole lot longer.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mine the KSM90 which we have had for a good 20 years has held up well though I've been told in this tread it is made by Whirlpool it is made in the US. I did have it serviced a couple of years having to have a new cord put on it due to getting it cut in moving. At any rate the guy that serviced it told me all the one I had was the best of the bunch he had seen in some time due to the gear problem. He also said I shouldn't have a problem with the one I had, which I've not. I don't make bread with it due to the fact it is the 300 watt model and 4.5 qt bowl nor do I have the urge to get into bread making but do use it for many other things.

jkath

My KA is a whirlpool KA, but it's not on my counter - even though I use it at least 5 days/week, I keep it tucked away, since I like bare countertops. But it lives in a very nice house (used to be a coat closet, but I added lots of shelving and now it's an appliance/cookbook closet) with all his friends, like the food processor, immersion blender, toaster, ice cream maker, pasta maker...etc............. what can I say - I'm a small appliance junkie :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I am too jkath so maybe we should form a support group. :mrgreen: I also did the same thing since space is at a premium in my kitchen. I converted the linen closet which is just at the entrance to our kitchen into a gadget and pan closet, moving the linens to shelving in my utility room. My washer and dryer live in another closet in the kitchen with a 4' square closet I use for a pantry. Later this year I will redo the kitchen with is large but more than half is eaten up buy a dinning room table so it will go adding a counter type with stools giving me more room. Besides no one ever eats in there but in the living room for the most part.

jkath

See, I knew it was too good of an idea for just me to have thought it up! I just moved out the coats to another closet, and for shelving, I got two ikea bookcases and put them side by side in the appliance closet. That left just enough space on both sides to put cookie sheets & my big roaster pan. I also put hooks on both sides for all DH's grilling utensils.

BTW, don't forget to take before/after photos of your kitchen to share with us :smile:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've been looking at Lowe's Kitchen section lately (company has a commercial account with them) and came up with an idea for my pantry which will give me a lot more storage space, with much better organization using a pullout, folding sections. My contractor took a look at it and said it would be fairly inexpensive to make one to fit our pantry so that is also on the list with new counters and cabinets as well as appliances and sink. I'm going induction counter top this time with a single electric oven and warmer tray. The refrigerator and dishwasher I've yet to decide on as of yet but I already own a 8.6 cu. ft. box freezer that is great so that isn't a problem. We will see when we get the final cost however right now I've got him doing the 3 bathrooms in the place and painting the office. The rest of the place he did last year so my place is about perfect for my needs in a 1200 sq. ft of total living space. I will take pictures take my word for that.