Growing up without a cell phone

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, yes, we did you the paper grocery bags!! Those that weren't destined for the garbage pail, that is. We actually used those grocery bags for our trash!!!!!

We had a bar of soap in the bathroom too, by the way. No pumps or shower gel for us.

And, if you had a cold, most of the time you just ripped off a few sheets of toilet paper to blow your nose. My dad actually had a handkerchief.

If you wanted to call someone and you didn't know their number you used the phone book!

If you were making a right turn and the light turned red before you got to it, you stopped! No right on red...

Milk came in three types - white, skim and chocolate. Period. End of story.

Orange juice came frozen in a can that you had to defrost the night before or it came in a jar called Tang.

We all had welch's grape jelly. Marmalade was exotic and for adults only.

We ate Wonder Bread because no knew we had to eat bread that was full of seeds and nuts.

Dog poop hardened and solidified and then rolled down the street till it fell in the drain gutter.

Baby on Board...!!! Sure, and we all hung our arms over the front seat jabbering a mile a minute in the ear of who ever was driving. If the seat belt bothered your butt when you sat down, just push it between the cushions.

The mailman would always buy lemonade from our stand. So would the Good Humor man, and he'd give us free ice cream too.

You came in at night when the street lamps came on, not when your mother called on your cell phone. If you didn't have street lights, or she needed you earlier, she stood on the door step and screamed your name till you came home.

We wore Keds that eventually molded to your foot. The thought of spending massive amounts on money on play shoes was preposterous.

You got an easter basket that had some jelly beans, a chocolate bunny, some bubbles, coloured chalk to write on the sidewalk (and we really did use the chalk till it ran out, not just once cause someone dragged us outside) and maybe a rubber ball or a jump rope....easter was not a huge gift giving holiday.

It also wasn't a holiday that bought bermuda vacations for the dentist. You got a little candy and then that was it.

All the kids ate peanut butter and jelly.

How'd you like a nice Hawaiian Punch??? And that was the extent of the sugary drink we got. In the summer you could have iced tea or lemonade, sometimes. We drank milk, juice or water so no need to bitch and moan about the upcoming sugary drink tax.

We ate the fruit that was in season. It tasted pretty damn good, too.

Doctors were more concerned with brushing your teeth than childhood obesity and early onset diabetes.

We knew what footnotes were, and used them, because it's illegal to plagerize.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I had one of every year from 57 to 63

Joe, was your '62 a fuelie? That was my HS graduation year and I swear I still have wet dreams about that 'Vette. When I enter my fifth or sixth childhood the '62 is on my list, say white with red interior?????

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I covered all my books with paper bags, and because I was good at it, I had to cover my brother's, too. But it was the 60s so I would decorate the covers by drawing all sorts of pop-art looking designs on every inch of the cover.

We only washed our hair once a week, too. We were told that washing it more often would "dry it out". Then mid to late 60s brought the concept of washing your hair as often as you wanted to! Amazing! Oh, and I remember ironing my waist-length, crazy-curly hair because everyone had straight hair.

Oh - and girls couldn't wear pants to school. Only dresses or skirts! I got suspended a couple of times for trying to wear a pants suit. (Remember pants suits?)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Joe, was your '62 a fuelie? That was my HS graduation year and I swear I still have wet dreams about that 'Vette. When I enter my fifth or sixth childhood the '62 is on my list, say white with red interior?????

Nope never owed a fuelie vette at all. I had a buddy with one and never could make it run right. Every one of mine was either a single quad or duel quads. The 63 had a 427 in it and I traded the cobra for it even up. The cobra was also a 427 but flat too uncomfortable for me to drive.