Greek Style Hot Dog & Hamburger Chili Sauce

Embryodad

“Greek Style”
Hamburger & Hot dog Chili Sauce

2- Tbs. Cooking Oil
1- Medium Size Onion (
*Chopped Fine )
1- Clove Garlic minced finely.
1-½ Lb. Chopped Meat ( Ground Three Times if You Can Get It )
1-½- Tbs. Cumin Powder
2- Tbs. Oregano Powder (alternate = Dried / & Ground in mortar and pestle )
¼ -tsp. Cayenne Hot pepper
1- Tbs. Red Paprika (Hungarian Preferred)
2- Tbs. Chili Powder (
* Not the Hot )
1- Can Tomato Sauce ( 15 or 16 oz. size )
3- Cups Water
* ( L@@Ks like a lot, but needed )
Salt & Pepper to Taste …. (
*I use Kosher Salt )
################################################
Brown Meat in Oil..with Onions till browned. (Drain off Excess Fat)

Add all the other ingredients ; Cook over
low heat until thickened. ( I place it on a heat diffuser so the bottom won’t burn; even though it is on low flame.)

* It takes a while to thicken, and patience is worth it with this recipe. ( Cheating, by adding less water is a No- No with this one) [Tried it, been there, and not a good idea] The flavors take time to meld and marry into the meat. Stir Frequently so as not to burn.

Enjoy! ……..[ Recipe.. From Jim & Tina’s Kitchen ]

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, EDad .... so you put this sauce over hot dogs in buns?

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This sounds wonderful Jimmy! Thank you for sharing it. I think hot dogs and burgers on the grill topped with this sauce will be going on my short list. Is this a simmer on low all day kinda recipe or is the cook time shorter?

Embryodad

Okay, EDad .... so you put this sauce over hot dogs in buns?

Lee
Yeah Lee.

Bun with dog either boiled / steamed / or grilled. I like steamed with these.

A little Mustard...the chili sauce, and then minced onions on top that.
Can add melted cheese wiz too if you like.

The hamburgers..the same.

Serve with a fork to pick up the fall out. I just grab with my fingies, or use my lips like a vacuum to get it back in the gullet. LOL

Remember...it is lightly spiced (hot); but if you want it more spicy..go ahead and boost it up. I usually add extra pepper after I build my dog or burger.

Embryodad

This sounds wonderful Jimmy! Thank you for sharing it. I think hot dogs and burgers on the grill topped with this sauce will be going on my short list. Is this a simmer on low all day kinda recipe or is the cook time shorter?

No...not a all dayer... About 3 to 4 hours. Till it starts to thicken, and then it evaporates the water pretty quick.

The first time I tried playing with this, and there were many changes I made...... I added only one cup of water. I figured, why the heck would I add all that water when a little will cut the cooking time in half or better. Wow! Was I wrong!
I wound up with a tough meat, and grainy. It just turned into a stiff and dry burger meat with no flavor.

I came up with this after many experiments and failures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolina Cooking

I got this recipe a while back from Jimmy. :clap::clap:

I can tell you without a doubt its really really good. I don't grill at all. Even tho I bought a grill & its still in the box :weber: .

So I cook them (hot dogs/franks) stove top in Butter .. Jimmy style .:clap::clap:

Embryodad

I got this recipe a while back from Jimmy. :clap::clap:

I can tell you without a doubt its really really good. I don't grill at all. Even tho I bought a grill & its still in the box :weber: .

So I cook them (hot dogs/franks) stove top in Butter .. Jimmy style .:clap::clap:
Thanks Carolina Cooking.....

I don't do the butter frying dogs when the Mrs. is around.

She does not like snap when you bite sausages or hot dogs.

Embryodad

Really??? I consider it one of life's tiny pleasures! :biggrin:

Lee
Haaaaaa! ....

Would you believe ?? Mommy Tina would peel the crisp casing off the sliced kielbasa so the kids would eat it, and she would save it for me to eat.
Till this day, my kids will not eat a hot dog or sausage that has that "Bite Snap!"

Johnny West

That looks good and reminds me of the sauce served on hotdogs in West Virginia.

I've been wanting to start a thread on that sauce but haven't gotten to it yet.

I like a snappy hot dog, too. My favoite weiner was made in Cedar Rapids, Iowa but the meat market was destryed by the big Cedar River flood and never reopened.