Roast Chicken with Potatoes (Outdoor DO)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
For anyone reading that isn't familiar, in the title, DO stands for Dutch Oven. This is a special DO designed to be used outdoors with charcoal.

Roast Chicken with Potatoes

Ingredients:

Potato Seasoning
2 Tbsp Oil
1/2 Tbsp Orange Juice
1/2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Soy
1/2 tsp Black Pepper

Chicken Glaze
1/2 cup Orange Marmalade
1/4 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp Soy
1 Tbsp minced garlic

1 Whole Chicken, split in half
4-5 medium potatoes, quartered
Salt & Pepper to taste

Coals: 28 = 8 on bottom, 20 on top
Dutch Oven: 10”
Cook Time: 1 hour

Preparation:

Mix all the ingredients for the Potato Seasoning in a large bowl and whisk well to emulsify. Set aside.

Mix all the ingredients for the Chicken Glaze together in a large bowl and set aside.

Do not peel the potatoes. Cut them into wedges by first cutting the potato in half, then cut each half in half. Place the potato wedges in the potato seasoning mixture and turn several time to coat. Then, place the wedges in the DO, skin side down (the skin is against the bottom of the DO). Salt the potatoes at this time if desired.

Season the split chicken halves with salt and pepper. You can also add a little ground sage if desired. Next, place the chicken halves skin side up on top of the potatoes (the cavity of the chicken touches the potatoes).

Prep the coals, and when ready, place 8 coals under the DO and 20 on top. Let this cook undisturbed for 30 minutes. At this time, open the DO and spoon the chicken glaze over the chicken. Return the lid to the DO and allow to cook and additional 30 minutes.

To serve, remove the chicken from the DO, and cut the leg quarter from the breast & wing (basically cut each half in half). Scoop the potatoes from the DO, and place in large bowl, re-season with salt and pepper if desired. Discard the remaining liquid in the DO. This goes great with garlic rolls, green beans, and fresh corn on the cob.

Notes:

I only cook for two people, so I use only one half of the chicken at a time. The cooking time should be the same when using both halves of the chicken, but to be sure, use a meat thermometer at the end of cooking time. Check the thigh for a temp of 165F, then remove the DO from heat and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. While it is cooling, the residual heat in the DO will bring the chicken to 170F as you prepare the plates.

I’ve made this twice so far, and each time I’ve experimented with the recipe. In this recipe, you use the potatoes as a trivet of sorts, and you place them skin side down in the DO. The skin keeps them from burning. The first time I tried this, I ran a 10/10 split for the coals (10 bottom and 10 top), and I added 1/4 cup of chicken broth with a splash of lemon to the DO. This was good, but the liquid more than doubled at the end of the cooking, so the potatoes were nearly submerged in the liquid. Further, due to the properties of a DO holding in steam and moisture, the chicken was whitish in color and basically steam roasted. Not bad, but not what I was looking for visually from this dish.

The next time I tried this, I did an 8/15 split on the coals (8 bottom and 15 top), and after 35 minutes of cooking, I added an additional 8 coals to the top and 4 to the bottom for another 20 minutes of cook time. I added no liquid to the pot this time. At the end of cooking, there was some liquid in the bottom of the DO, and the Chicken had just started to brown on top. The chicken glaze had set fairly well on the chicken, but it still wasn’t as browned as I was shooting for.....a little brown, but not a lot.

So, I now suggest to start with a full 20 coals on top from the very start and 8-9 coals on the bottom. That should put a 10” DO at about 425-450 degrees with mostly top heat. This should brown the chicken nicely, and as the coals die down, the heat slowly reduces and you don’t burn the bird.

It should be noted that, even when the chicken doesn’t brown, the flavor from this is fantastic. Very moist meat, tender, and wonderful flavors. The addition of the lemon to the potatoes seasonings is nice with each bite of potato giving a faint hint of the lemon which is reminiscent of Greek style potatoes. The chicken glaze is mostly sweet with a little sour from the soy, and is very nice.

When I did this the second time, I only used 15 coals on top and then added more coals toward the end to brown and set the sauce. Since I only ran the extra coals about 20 minutes, I had left over coals that I placed into a small Weber (a Smokey Joe). I banked the coals to the side, and used the remaining heat from the coals to warm and brown the rolls that we had with this, and that worked great.

Love2"Q"

i need to get one of these ..
i plan on doing a fair bit of camping this summer ..
and this sounds good ..

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Wow that sounds real good. I do plan on adding a DO to my camping stock as well so I can do more things while camping.
Thanks!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, where are you when you are using your DO?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, where are you when you are using your DO?

Lee

I’m actually at home mostly. I love cooking outdoors on my grills, smokers and fryers, so I finally added a DO a little over a year ago to the mix. At this point, there really isn’t anything I can’t cook outside. It’s just fun!

Edite to add: Oh, and things just seem to taste better in the CI DO. I can make the same recipe in the CI DO and in a regular pot, and you can tell the difference between the 2 with the CI DO version being more flavorful.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
And you can use the underside of the lid like a frying pan with a gentle slope to the center.

Here’s the DO I’m using. Notice the lid has legs also. This is so you can turn it over and load coals underneath it to use the lid as a griddle. The lid is perfectly flat on both sides too.

chowhound

That's pretty cool. Here's the one I have, for outdoor cooking, but not made by Lodge (I don't think). Although I did buy it at Cabela's. I bought it back in the late seventies. I didn't see any with legs on the lid back then, but I'm no DO expert. They may have been around.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I’m actually at home mostly. I love cooking outdoors on my grills, smokers and fryers, so I finally added a DO a little over a year ago to the mix. At this point, there really isn’t anything I can’t cook outside. It’s just fun!

Okay, so do you have a hole in the ground, or some sort of bricklined pit or something where you use the DO? I'm trying to picture it. Can you post a photo?

I have been toying with the idea of learning how to do this.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Okay, so do you have a hole in the ground, or some sort of bricklined pit or something where you use the DO? I'm trying to picture it. Can you post a photo?

I have been toying with the idea of learning how to do this.

Lee

I’ve got a little outdoor work table I made out of 4x4s and 2x4s to have as work space to hold trays, tools, pots, etc, for when I use the grills and smokers. I went and got some concrete blocks and I place two of them side-by-side on that little table. The DO then sits on the blocks, and charcoal goes underneath and on the lid. The concrete blocks are impervious to the hot coals, so it works rather well. You can just as easily throw your coals on the ground, but I don’t want to have to get down on my hands and knees every time I use the DO (which is often). :yum: :yum:

chowhound

Just to add for Lee, I've tried using my DO in a hole in the ground several times when I used to camp and even in my old backyard. Yep. I dug the hole. I tried both charcoal and embers. Burying the DO with a fine layer of dirt on top always smothered out the coals for me. I have no idea how that's supposed to work. Much easier to keep it where you can get to it by the heat source.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Cool, now I know what to look for, thanks guys!

Course, when I get it I will need to check back here for more info on using it. Unless there is a spot on here for people to place instructions, suggestions, and what not over in the Outdoor Kitchen section...

RNE228

Cool, now I know what to look for, thanks guys!

Course, when I get it I will need to check back here for more info on using it. Unless there is a spot on here for people to place instructions, suggestions, and what not over in the Outdoor Kitchen section...

I use "Papa Dutch's", otherwise known as Byron's, DO page all the time. We do a lot of DO cooking, at home, and in Scouts. In fact, on a short backpack trip a few months ago, I stuffed a 10" DO in my backpack, along with briquettes and stuff for a chocolate delight cake. Made desert for the adult leaders on the trip. The Scouts were in awe:chef:

If you are in the market for a DO, WalMart had a 12" Lodge for about $35. Those are a nice basic DO.

RNE228

Here’s a guy that uses an old cookie sheet on his grill when he uses his DO.

We carry oil drain pans like you'd use to drain the oil in your car. They work great for placing briquette/coals in when you do not have a fire ring. We got them new; they never had oil in them... Works nice to toss a 12 or 14" DO in.

RNE228

Here’s the DO I’m using. Notice the lid has legs also. This is so you can turn it over and load coals underneath it to use the lid as a griddle. The lid is perfectly flat on both sides too.

That's a nice DO. We have a Lodge 12", and an off brand 10". I got the Lodge lid hook; works nice for lifting the lid. Lodge also makes a little folding frame to sit the lid on. Supposed to work nice for frying eggs etc in camp.

Have you made a Mountain Man, or heart attack special breakfast?

RNE228

Scouts, cool! I made Eagle, and was an Ass. Scout Master for 4 years, fun stuff!

I never did Scouts(did Cub Scouts). Been Cubbie den leader for four years, and now Assist Scoutmaster for four years. I'm teaching a first aid merit badge currently; fits in with my fire station/EMT stuff.

RNE228

For anyone reading that isn't familiar, in the title, DO stands for Dutch Oven. This is a special DO designed to be used outdoors with charcoal.

Roast Chicken with Potatoes

This reminds me, I have been wanting to try the Cornish game hen recipe they show on the Lodge DO boxes. It looks yummy. Seems to be Cornish game hens, with potatoes, carrots, ears of corn etc.