let's talk shrimp

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the shrimp salad thread whacked me into asking - I keep forgetting....

what is it with the nouveau-shrimp?

I avoid shrimp from Asia.
I only buy domestic shrimp.
I see brown shrimp.
I see pink shrimp.
Gulf coast; Carolina shrimp . . .

I buy the 16-20 count - IQF in the bag - thaw as needed.

shrimp seem to have lost their taste - DW agrees - shrimp are not making themselves like they used to.....

the bigger they are (ie smaller count #) the less taste they have.

anyone else notice this?

I tripped over 'how to brine your shrimp' - anyone done that?

Johnny West

I've taken to cooking the shrimp shells down for broth and it helps with flavours. Our wild spot shrimp that are local are very good and great in a paella.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

shrimp seem to have lost their taste - DW agrees - shrimp are not making themselves like they used to.....

the bigger they are (ie smaller count #) the less taste they have.

QUOTE]

Really? In that case, maybe I should get some to try. :smile:

Lee

Johnny West

It's time to experiment.

I'd mentioned the article I read about the Thai shrimp and how the workers are little more than slaves and that's reason enough for me not to buy Asian shrimp. Shrimp from the NW and Gulf are another matter.

I miss shrimping with my bud on Vancouver Island. Their spot shrimp are the best. :heart:

The commissary sells wild caught and have to take them at their word.

chilefarmer

I find that the 26/30 count taste best for me. I have not brine shrimp before but will be giving it a try. I do brine chicken and pork and like it.
We buy fresh gulf shrimp and freeze our own. I to will not buy Asian raised shrimp. CF

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
ya'll do please report on the experiments!

I do shrimp:

shrimp&clams in a white sauce over linguini
butter-flied beer battered deep fry
shrimp stir fry
and the current favorite is
broiled on a skewer, seasoned with salt+fgp+OldBay

need to check, but I think I'm about the the bottom of the 16-20 count bag; I'll get some of the 26 count and we can do a side-by-munching test . . .

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The last shrimp I bought were around 30's, frozen in the bag and de-veined. They thaw quickly and are great for those days when....oh my, what's for dinner :ohmy:.

If you like buffalo chicken wings, try buffalo shrimp:

BuffaloShrimp.jpg

These New Orleans Style BBQ Shrimp are good too, decadent but good :)...I think this is Homecook's recipe:

BBQShrimp.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
so I asked our fish monger "What's with the shrimp?"
the Cliff's Notes version:
there's some 60 "things" / species caught/sold/eaten as shrimp.
they do not all taste the same.

interjection: hmmmm, shopping at Giant which is focusing more and more on cutting prices....mebbe they're buying-selling the least desirable/least tasty/probably least expensive?
at Giant - to paraphrase Ford - Quality May Not Be Product #1.

the fish guys thinks "brown hoppers" are the best tasting. he had them in small / medium / large. so I bought eight medium to cook up "plain" for a taste test.
boiling water, sliced onion, salt. peeled and aten . . .

DW: much better than Giant stuff.
me: me too - like real shrimp!

the bag of Giant yukkie shrimp only says caught & processed in USA. no indication of where or what kind of shrimp they are, other than tasteless.

brown hopper? yup, my reaction as well....a hopping shrimp?? but there is.
(Florida) "hoppers" apparently come in different colors - so methinking his "brown hopper" moniker applies to shrimp from a certain region which has picked up a brownish coloration.

info:
http://woodsfisheries.com/products/wild-american/

all below applies to wild caught USA/non-Asian shrimp.
this may be more than you wanted to know....

White Shrimp (Penaeus Setiferus), from brackish water estuary, are milder in flavor and just a little softer in texture than either Browns or Hoppers. These may be the perfect shrimp to fry or sauté.
season: late Spring through June, then again from Fall until the dead of Winter sets in sometime in January.

Key West Pinks
Florida Hoppers or Pink shrimp (Penaeus Duorarum) produced locally by the high salinity waters of St. Joe Bay may just be the perfect boiling shrimp. These easy peeling, firm shrimp are in the middle of the flavor spectrum and have one of the prettiest after cooked colors. Unlike most shrimp that have a distinct color, Hoppers are chameleons who match the color of the bottom they are sitting on top of. From the almost translucent green hue they exhibit in St. Joe Bay, to the golden brown color caught off the shores of Cape San Blas, to the distinct almost cooked pink color of the hoppers caught off the Florida Keys, hence called Key West Pinks, these shrimp can always be identified by the ever present circular spot right in the middle of the shrimps side.
season: March to early May

Wild American Browns
Brown Shrimp (Penaeus Aztecus) or locally called Brownies are a little richer in flavor than the hoppers and are golden brown in color. These shrimp are a little softer than hoppers and are great for just about any cooking you can think of.
season: Normally they kick in when the hopper run ends in early May and can last throughout the Summer months.

Rock Shrimp (Sicyonia Brevirostris) probably best described as armor-plated shrimp that tastes more like lobster, lives and breeds offshore of Cape San Blas in between 100 and 200 feet of water. These tasty shrimp are an everyday meal to a hungry snapper lurking over the Empire Mica. They are difficult to peel but well worth the trouble to split and broiled. They just may be the most underrated shrimp on the planet.
season: May and June

Royal Reds (Pleoticus Robustus) are perhaps the softest and most delicate of all our native shrimp species. This vibrant red shrimp never sees the light of day, preferring the cold dark depths out at the edge where the gently sloping bottom of the Gulf drops abruptly off the continental shelf.
season: early March through June.

unless you live in shrimp boat country, getting fresh-never-frozen shrimp is all but impossible.
here a list by season, so when some teenager behind the counter tells you these are fresh caught rock shrimp - and the calendar says November - you can assume a lack of knowledge or a desire to fraudulate.

by season:
early March through June - Royal Reds (Pleoticus Robustus)
March to early May . . . .- Key West Pinks aka 'hoppers' (Penaeus Duorarum)
May and June . . . . . . . .- Rock Shrimp (Sicyonia Brevirostris)
May thru Summer . . . . .- Brown Shrimp (Penaeus Aztecus)
late Spring through June - White Shrimp (Penaeus Setiferus)
Fall thru dead of Winter .- White Shrimp (Penaeus Setiferus)