Real Chicken Mole

FryBoy

In my earlier post about Quick Chicken Mole, I mentioned that I sometimes make a longer and much more complex version of this classic Mexican dish. I've now found that version and typed it up. It's a real PITA to make, but it's great to eat.

CHICKEN MOLE

4 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon sunflower kernels
¼ cup sesame seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon aniseeds
1 cup blanched slivered almonds
½ cup raisins
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ cup chili powder (ground chiles, not the mix of spices)
1 cup canned Italian tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1 tortilla, torn into small pieces
3 cups chicken stock
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, grated
4 whole chicken breasts, split
4 chicken thighs
4 chicken drumsticks
chopped fresh coriander (for garnish)

1. In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat and in it cook the sunflower kernels, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, aniseeds, and almonds, stirring constantly until the sesame seeds and almonds are golden, 2 or 3 minutes. Purée the mixture in a food processor.

2. Add to the processor the raisins, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, chili powder, tomatoes, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, the tortilla, and ½ cup of the stock and purée until smooth.

3. Transfer the purée to a saucepan. Stir in the remaining 2½ cups stock, bring the sauce to a simmer, and add the chocolate. Cook the sauce at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally, to melt the chocolate.

4. While the sauce is simmering, rinse the chicken quickly in cold water and dry with paper towels. In a large casserole, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil over moderately high heat and in it sauté the chicken in batches until each piece is golden brown on all sides. Set the pieces aside on a plate as done.

5. Put the chicken and any accumulated juices in a flameproof casserole, placing the dark meat on the bottom. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Simmer, covered, until the chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.

6. Place the chicken on a warm serving platter. Pour the sauce over the chicken, garnish with the chopped fresh coriander, and serve.

SERVES 8-10