Suggestion for Round Roast?

Jim54

I have a 1lbs round roast that I would like to cook for my family Christmas reunion on Thursday. I am thinking about:
  1. Making a Bacon wrap. Is this a good idea for a round roast?
  2. Cooking potatoes, carrots, oinion in beef broth
But I beyond that, I am not sure what to do.
  1. Other than salt and pepper, what other spices?
  2. How to cook it. Should I make a pot roast or roast it?
  3. If roasted, at what temperature and for how long?
  4. How many people will a 1lbs roast serve?

Thanks in advance.

Jim54

I stand corrected. It is actually a 2.8lbs Angus bottom round roast. My memory is not that good hehehe.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pot roast it, Jim.

That's not a large roast, and pot roast shrinks quite a bit. It would feed maybe 5-6 people?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Just my suggestion. How about the slow cooker put the potatoes, carrots, onions in there as well.

I am not. Licking with the Bacon wrap. That may ne just me though.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Jim, I would skip the bacon and just season the meat before cooking it in a covered Dutch oven or crockpot with the vegs.

Lee

Pour some red wine over it with garlic, fresh chopped rosemary, shallots, and some Grill Seasoning, and let it marinate for a few hours. Cook the roast in a roasting pan on a rack at about 425 F for 20 minutes, to achieve a nice crust (eliminates browning on the stove), and reduce the temp to 350F till the meat is cooked to desired temp. Remove it, let it sit under a tent of foil for about 10 minutes and then carve. You could roast the veggies separately. The only thing I don't like about crockpotted veggies, is they tend to get mushy or evaporate.

Or: http://www.raleys.com/www/apps/recipes/recipe.jsp?recipeid=333170

Since it's small, maybe you could go the (bacon-wrapped) Beef Wellington route.

http://www.wgntv.com/news/middaynew...eak-mity-nice-beef-wellington,0,5371941.story

Last edited:

Jim54

Last edited: