Potato Salad

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
This turned out so good that I wanted to post it by itself before the dinner thread.

Diced Russet taters, hard cooked eggs, diced celery, grated carrot, celery seed, Hellman's mayo, sour cream, sweet pickle relish, salt, fresh ground pepper, topped with sliced eggs, parsley and Spanish paprika. As with most salads, no measuring, just go by feel and taste.
PotatoSalad.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
looking good !

here's my "don't never tell nobody" secret for a special potato salad:
horseradish.

thoroughly mix in a little with the mayo - not too much - just enuf nobody can figure it out . . . .

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That looks and sounds wonderful, Joe!

The use of Russets is unusual, is it not?

I make mine similarly, but slice the HB eggs and mix into the salad. I mix everything with hot potatoes, and serve it still kind of warm. YUMMMM!

Lee

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
This turned out so good that I wanted to post it by itself before the dinner thread.

Diced Russet taters, hard cooked eggs, diced celery, grated carrot, celery seed, Hellman's mayo, sour cream, sweet pickle relish, salt, fresh ground pepper, topped with sliced eggs, parsley and Spanish paprika. As with most salads, no measuring, just go by feel and taste.
PotatoSalad.jpg

Looks Amazing!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, that potato salad is jaw-dropping delicious looking.

Hey Quirky!! Good to see you again! :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Looks really good and saved. Besides the dash of horse radish added to the sauce the smoked or Spanish paprika adds a bit of kick to it also.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
We tried this yesterday. It's GREAT!

I don't normally want eggs in my potato salad, but to have them sliced on top like that looks delicious! I'd definitely eat that, mm.

My wife doesn't care for eggs so they were served on the side. Worked out well for me, I was able to get all the egg I wanted.

Jim

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Glad you enjoyed it, Jim. We make the same recipe using pasta shapes, and call it (ready for this??) MACARONI salad.:corny: Mostly use shells and elbows for this.

Ian M.

Oh, man, Joe....that salad looks so good! I've never been able to make a really good potato salad but I sure love to eat them. I've got to give your recipe a whirl and see if mine looks half as good as yours does when I serve it.

Ian

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oh, man, Joe....that salad looks so good! I've never been able to make a really good potato salad but I sure love to eat them. I've got to give your recipe a whirl and see if mine looks half as good as yours does when I serve it.

Ian
IMO, the best potato and macaroni salads use a 50/50 blend of mayo & salad dressing (Hellman's and Miracle Whip) or 2/3 Hellman's and 1/3 sour cream. I usually use H+MW, but this time I was out of MW. Either way my family likes it. Some people add mustard as well, but me and my family do not care for it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
IMO, the best potato and macaroni salads use a 50/50 blend of mayo & salad dressing (Hellman's and Miracle Whip) or 2/3 Hellman's and 1/3 sour cream. I usually use H+MW, but this time I was out of MW. Either way my family likes it. Some people add mustard as well, but me and my family do not care for it.

I'm just not a fan of Hellman's but will eat it in a pinch. I am a fan of Miracle whip and like sour cream added for potato and macaroni salads. Some I also make using mustard but tomorrow I'm making my favorite macaroni salad and will try a bit of horse radish with it. Oh and I don't use mustard in that.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok Joe V, I nailed this sauce down with one minor addition. I added ranch dressing to the mayo, sour cream mix along with everything else you listed. Man all I can say is this is a great tasting pasta salad sauce to say the least.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Ok Joe V, I nailed this sauce down with one minor addition. I added ranch dressing to the mayo, sour cream mix along with everything else you listed. Man all I can say is this is a great tasting pasta salad sauce to say the least.
I'll have to try the ranch dressing next time. DW just bought a new bottle the other day. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you made enough to enjoy for another meal or two.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'll have to try the ranch dressing next time. DW just bought a new bottle the other day. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you made enough to enjoy for another meal or two.

Man I made enough to have with lunch the rest of this week. :fridge:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I once made this big foil pan of potato salad to take to a cookout!!! Took two days to make it!!! I was exhausted because of all the stuff it took to do it!!! But it came out good though!! :whistling:
Potato Salad..JPG