Potato Masher Redesign

chriscamp

Hello,
I am an Industrial Design student at the University of Alberta. I am working on a research oriented design project that requires me to choose an item (a hand held potato masher) and redesign it with the help of communication with the end user. The idea is that by designing it with specific help from the people who use an item most, a better or more suitable tool can be created. What you guys can do to help is simply answer a few questions (which I will post below) and then hopefully engage in a dialog with me as I develop and prototype an improved potato masher.

The following is a sampling of existing potato masher designs.

images

images

images

images

images

Of the five mashers shown, which is most like the one you use? If you use something completely different, please describe it or provide a link that shows yours.

Where do you primarily use it? (In a professional kitchen or at home?)

What motivated you to pick the one that you currently use? Price, feel, appearance, functionality?

Were your expectations met?

If not, what would you change or improve?

What about your potato masher do you think is good? What features are the most important to you? (Rigidity, comfort, afford-ability, safe for use on non-stick products, ease of cleaning, etc.)

Finally, what is the maximum price you would be willing to pay for the best hand powered potato masher you can imagine? Please specify which currency you are thinking of.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I will keep all names and personal information private unless you give me explicit permission. Again, this is just being used for a school report.

K

Kimchee

Hey my cryptic PM elsewhere got you here! ;)
Hope you get better input here than there.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have a #1, but also a #4, and prefer it to #1, because I can also use it to mash up hard-boiled eggs for egg salad, and for making the impressions on top of peanut butter cookies.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use #4 most of the time but also have #1 and use it from time to time. Both work fine for me.

YeOldeStonecat

#1 is what I keep going back to. I mash 'em with the skin on, and #1 is most usable when they have the skin. The others will clog up too much.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
So, has anybody here ever seen one that looks like #3? I never have. Might be a ringer. Looks interesting. Wonder if it works?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
So, has anybody here ever seen one that looks like #3? I never have. Might be a ringer. Looks interesting. Wonder if it works?
3... no.
Looks like it would take a whole lot of mashing and spinning work.
Reminds me of a carnival ride or something.:yum:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Yes I have seen one but have not tried it. I would like to and had concidered buying one but put it back at check out. I am going to go back and buy it because I now have thought of other uses for it besides potatoes - breaking up whole tomatoes for sauce, breaking up ground meat and sausage (out of casing) while browning to name a few.

chriscamp

I'd like to thank all of you for responding to my post. If you could, I'd also like for you to tell me a bit about what you like or dislike about the masher that you use. Detail is very helpful to me.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
DW and I use one similar to #5 but she says she prefers #1 (like mom used to have). #1 is certainly easier to clean but takes longer to get the job done. DW thinks #5 processes the potatoes too much. Over mashing? I gave her a funny look, Googled it, and couldn't find anything although she swears she has seen it somewhere in print. One more thing about #5; the head comes off sometimes while mashing.

Male, and the youngest 66 on the entire frickn' planet. :blush:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use #4 most of the time but also have #1 and use it from time to time. Both work fine for me.

Ok I quoted myself so it isn't as confusing. First I'm male, 64 years old. If I want my potatoes a bit lumpy I use #1, a bit smoother #4 and when I want the creamy I use a food mill or ricer, neither shown above.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Also, only if you are comfortable with sharing it, could you tell me your age and gender.

I'd like to thank all of you for responding to my post. If you could, I'd also like for you to tell me a bit about what you like or dislike about the masher that you use. Detail is very helpful to me.

I like my plastic masher. I don't use it that often, as I prefer whipped taters vs mashed, in which case I get out the hand mixer and aim over a bowl of steaming hot cubed spuds, with buttah and milk..... 2 minutes to whipped heaven on a plate via electrical beater stimulation.
Age and gender?
50/female.. but what does that have to do with the price of spuds in Idaho?

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Be careful though.

Too much beating can cause the taters to become gummy and gooey like a sticky paste, instead of them being fluffy and creamy!

chriscamp

Age and gender?
50/female.. but what does that have to do with the price of spuds in Idaho?

I'm just asking so that I can establish who the average respondent is. It doesn't make a lot of difference, but I need to be thorough as I collect information so that I can more easily spot patterns.