I need a new grill

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I used the liquid, but apparently it's available in aerosol now.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sheila-Shine-Stainless-Cleaner-Polish/dp/B0011FQQNI[/ame]

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Very nice Mama. That's a one NICE grill. And so big. :eek: You could cook for the whole block. :D :thumb:

Doc, I heard she's inviting all of us over for a cook out this weekend. Bring your sleeping bag - we're camping on her living room floor!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc, I heard she's inviting all of us over for a cook out this weekend. Bring your sleeping bag - we're camping on her living room floor!
ALRIGHT!!!!! GREAT idea!!!!! :D What can I bring?
Camp outs are always fun. The campfire might be a little rough on the living room floor but I promise we'll be careful Mama. :D

Jarhead

Hey everyone. I was in awe too seeing the Jenn Air grill at Sam's. It sure looks like an awesome grill. I am very skeptical of buying it though. I did a lot of research about this grill and am not finding too many positives on it. For one, Jenn Air doesn't even sell gas grills. Who ever makes the grill paid Jenn Air to use its name. Nexgrill is listed as the warranty company, but when you goto their website this model number is not listed anywhere on the website. I also did a search on the internet to see if replacement parts are available for this grill in case something breaks on it down the road. The burner warranty is only 5 years. I am also considering a grill at Sears (Kenmore 5 burner w/ side Sear burner) and that grill comes with a 10 year burner warranty. For the money the Jenn Air grill is I hope it stands up and last you a very very long time. I just do not feel confidant in purchasing the grill with so many con's against it from my own research.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Hey everyone. I was in awe too seeing the Jenn Air grill at Sam's. It sure looks like an awesome grill. I am very skeptical of buying it though. I did a lot of research about this grill and am not finding too many positives on it. For one, Jenn Air doesn't even sell gas grills. Who ever makes the grill paid Jenn Air to use its name. Nexgrill is listed as the warranty company, but when you goto their website this model number is not listed anywhere on the website. I also did a search on the internet to see if replacement parts are available for this grill in case something breaks on it down the road. The burner warranty is only 5 years. I am also considering a grill at Sears (Kenmore 5 burner w/ side Sear burner) and that grill comes with a 10 year burner warranty. For the money the Jenn Air grill is I hope it stands up and last you a very very long time. I just do not feel confidant in purchasing the grill with so many con's against it from my own research.

Welcome to the forums Jarhead! :chef:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Thanks neighbor, I'm over in Madison, WI. Been on a grill hunt for over a month now.

If you saw my earlier post, I got a Kenmore too. The only issue with it is that the heat is a little uneven front to back, but that can be used as an advantage when cooking different things, like a seared steak in front, and grilled veg in the back.

Jarhead

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter

Jarhead

I got mine about three years ago. I was at Sears the other day, and I didn't see it there. It is very similar to the one you are looking at, only it's a four burner. Yes the burners run front to back, but for some reason it burns hotter in front than in back.

I have a friend that has a Kenmore also that is 2-3 years old and he says the same thing about the front being hotter than the back.

So who bought one of these Jenn Airs? What is your review on it? Everything working good? Even cooking?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'll let you know what I think about it by the end of the weekend...if the weather holds out. There is a lady that works at the vets office that I take my animals to that bought one and she loves hers.

As for the grills being made by Nexgrill and only carrying the Jenn Air name, I figured that since it took Jenn Air a long time to build up their reputation, they wouldn't allow their name to be run through the mud by a shoddy grill. I could be wrong....time will tell.

buckytom

Grill Master
mama, i have a nexgrill that i got in costco 3 years ago. i think it's the 720-0600. a smaller version of yours. 3 main burners, a searing burner, a rotisserie burner, and a side burner.

it's been outside for 3 years now,usually covered in bad weather but not always, so it's taken a beating but it's still in pretty good shape. the ss burners are still in great shape, but some of the internal frame parts in the burner bucket are getting corroded. the hardware and the pedestal are not stainless steel, so they're showing rust stains as well, but no real wear just yet.

i need to replace the cover that came with the grill, which was very good quality, very heavy, but our outdoor cats have shredded it as they climb on the grill for a good view of their hunting ground (my backyard).
do you think i could teach them to put the death bite on albaninan kids? :whistle:

ok, so an fyi for everyone about grills, if you want to be sure that all parts of a grill are the better kind of stainless steel, i.e. corrosion resistant, check to see if they are made from 300 or 400 steel. 300 steel contains nickel which is better for corrosion resistance. 400 has no nickel in it's composition.
many grills are not completely made from 300 stainless. often the pedestal, the fire bucket, and possibly internal mounting parts and burners are not 300 stainless (or even stainless steel at all), so they will degrade more quickly.
only the top of the line grill use all 300 stainless, including screws and other hardware.

the quick way to tell is to see if it's magnetic. 300 steel is non-magnetic; 400 and other types of steel ARE magnetic. so if a magnet sticks, it's the cheaper ss.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Ours is going back to the store.

We received the new regulator, but nothing changed. There is absolutely no discernible difference between high and low heat. It takes way too long to cook anything, and nothing sears. I can't get grill marks on meat because it doesn't get hot enough. I can cook the entire steak on the searing burner, and it comes out grey-brown, not seared.

We are quitting on this thing. It's going back to BJ's and we're headed over to Home Depot for a Weber.

It sure was a pretty grill, though!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
We read all the reviews this time (instead of going for pretty) and decided to get the Weber Genesis.

I have company coming over for dinner on the grill, so It better be better than the Jenn-Aire. Mama I sure hope you have better luck with it thatn I did.

Spent the morning putting it together...................

Started it up.......................

Wow!!! High is high and low is low!!!!! What a concept!!!!

Here she is, all assembled.

Attachments

• potato salad 011.jpg
    potato salad 011.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 398

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats on your new one SS. I have the weber Q320 on order (no one local had it) ...it's a small grill that should work on our boat.
I looked at the weber model you bought and liked it all except for the control knobs being on a flat surface. I was afraid of more dirt or grease getting into them at that location. Don't know of that is a valid concern or not ....wondering your thoughts on that. I've yet to replace my home grill but plan to soon.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Congrats on your new one SS. I have the weber Q320 on order (no one local had it) ...it's a small grill that should work on our boat.
I looked at the Weber model you bought and liked it all except for the control knobs being on a flat surface. I was afraid of more dirt or grease getting into them at that location. Don't know of that is a valid concern or not ....wondering your thoughts on that. I've yet to replace my home grill but plan to soon.

Mine's the 310. It's the same as the 320, but without the side burner. I don't know how the knobs will work out, since I just got it today, but they were kind of in the way when I wanted to put a tray down.

I've got to say, the grill was great tonight. There were 6 of us. Menu consisted of beef kabobs, veggie kabobs, corn on the cob (all on the grill) and potato salad. The Weber handled everything beautifully!

I must say, it's the best I've ever done on a grill. Now I don't know how much was the grill & how much was my moving up the learning curve, but everything took just as much time as I thought it was supposed to, and everything came out perfect. I am truly happy with my new Weber Genesis. 5 Stars!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations on your new grills, everyone!

SS, my Ace Hardware sells only Webers and Ducanes because (I am the BBQ Manager as well as the Store Manager) of the quality of their grills. Also, Weber does not let Home Depot, Lowes, or any other store undercut each other on price, so we all price equally.

And we assemble and deliver for free ... does Home Depot?

SS and Doc, you have chosen well - the Genesis and Q320 are fantastic grills!

Enjoy!

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Home Depot sells them assembled, but I don't think they deliver. We took one look at their assembled grills - cockeyed, crooked, loose, etc, and asked for one in a box. That created it's own difficulties, but they finally acquiesced. They loaded it in the back of SouChef's pick up truck with a forklift and we brought it home in a box. I'm glad we did. She assembled it with a level in her hand to make sure everything came out perfect.

Boy, I wish we had an Ace Hardware like yours. When we lived in Tucson, we loved our Ace Hardware people. We never went to the big box stores because our local Ace folks were so helpful. We totally gutted and remodeled our house before we sold it, and everything was from 'Our" Ace Hardware.

Here, our Ace is a nightmare. We never go there anymore, even though it's 1/3 the distance of the Hone Depot or Lowes.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mine's the 310. It's the same as the 320, but without the side burner. I don't know how the knobs will work out, since I just got it today, but they were kind of in the way when I wanted to put a tray down.

I've got to say, the grill was great tonight. There were 6 of us. Menu consisted of beef kabobs, veggie kabobs, corn on the cob (all on the grill) and potato salad. The Weber handled everything beautifully!

I must say, it's the best I've ever done on a grill. Now I don't know how much was the grill & how much was my moving up the learning curve, but everything took just as much time as I thought it was supposed to, and everything came out perfect. I am truly happy with my new Weber Genesis. 5 Stars!

The Q320 is a whole lot different than your grill in looks and size. Mine is for a small spot on the rear of our houseboat. I'm considering getting one exactly like you have to replace our worn out home grill.

Here are a few pics of the Q320, a small but very capable grill. Mine should be delivered sometime this week:

Attachments

• Weber_Q320a.jpg
    Weber_Q320a.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 337
  • Weber_Q320b.jpg
    Weber_Q320b.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 345
  • Weber_Q320c.jpg
    Weber_Q320c.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 345

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well...here's what happened.

Saturday we had a lot of errands to run. We went to the paint store and bought the paint to paint my kitchen cabinets in a few weeks since it was on sale and went to Lowe's and bought the dirt and plants for the garden. Came home and cut the grass and blew all of the stuff off the patio and realized we had forgotten a few things a Lowe's so we were on our way out to Lowe's when our plans were changed.

While we were stopped at a red light, some guy who admittedly wasn't paying attention, slammed into the pick up truck that was stopped behind us, knocked the truck into us which in turn knocked us into the car in front of us. We are both pretty sore still and definitely didn't feel like putting a grill together Sunday so it will have to wait until this weekend.

I took the car to the body shop today. Needs a new bumper, a new trunk latch and the rear end of the car will need to be pulled back out. The front end appears to be okay. I felt really bad for the guy in the pickup behind us, if his truck wasn't totaled, it's going to need A LOT of work. He just made his 5th payment on it...I sure hope he had gap insurance.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh no, Mama! That's terrible! I'm so sorry, but glad it wasn't worse. Do you have a seat belt bruise?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
A sore back is worse, IMO. But I remember reading that if you have a seat belt bruise, no matter how OK you feel, you definitely have to be seen by a doc. I hope your back heals quickly and you don't end up with permanent back problems.

Jarhead

Sorry Mama to hear about the accident. Hope you guys heal up quickly!

My wife and I are going to go to Sam's tonight and pull the trigger on purchasing one. My original 45 minutes of looking over the grill 2 weeks ago I was sold that it was high quality and not junk like some other grills I looked at around at the other stores. It is strong SS and not flimsy, it has the SS grates that I want and the searing burner on the side with the locking cover that won't blow down with a small gust of wind. Sam's has a return policy so if we do not like it while using it I'll just simply return it. Hope going with my gut feeling pays off :)