Duck - Sushi Style

High Cheese

Saucier
Seared duck breast over wild rice cannelles topped with Creme De Casis "caviar".

This was an idea I had which prompted me to get a spherification kit. The recipe s pretty basic. For the caviar, I used basic spherification with 'on-the fly' measurements. I used algin to thicken the liquor until I achieved a cough syrup consistancy. I had trouble trying to use any recipe so I just added a little at a time until decent spheres formed. The bath was about 7g calcium chloride to 500ml distilled water. I let them "cook" about 4-5 minutes then strained and rinsed. I kept them in a small bowl with fresh water which seems to be a good trick to keeping them round. After I plated them they got a little mushy and lost some shape within say 5-7 minutes. I have gluco on the way to try the same recipe using reverse spherification, which seems to yield better results.

IMG_6429.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
A great start for your spherification efforts and a beautiful picture to boot.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Very interesting on the spherification! I love the way you got the sharp focus on the front cannelle with a little blur on the ones in back. I know there's a photography term for it, but it escapes me right now.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Woooooooow! You are da MAN, Jay!

The Iron Chef would be so proud of you!

It's beatiful!

Lee

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I am blown away, Jay! Where to start? The duck looks moist and perfectly cooked. The wild rice looks gorgeous under the duck. How did you get it shaped exactly like the duck that rested on it? And of course, the little spheres of the blackcurrant liqueur are amazing! A spectacular alternative to artistically squirting the sauce around the plate. Bravo!!!!

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks FM.

I don't know how those cannelles became the same size, but it worked out great. I tried to form a rice base traditionally but it really didn't work. Plus I really like the jagged surface of the rice. Yeah, the duck breast was pretty forgiving since I was too busy messing around with the liquor. I caught it just in time. You cant jam one of these down your yap like regular sushi so a knife and fork is needed. I also tried making a casis/stock ttype of sauce first but it didn't have the color or flavor "punch" I was looking for. A grape/currant reduction would go nice too if you don't want to serve the liquor.

buckytom

Grill Master
holy crap, jeeks! i missed this one.

awesome job! you're a triple threat! as good at food photography as you are at plating and cooking.

cooksie, do you mean "depth of field"?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks for reviving this thread, bt. I gives us a chance to ask HC for an update on the spherification project.

Anything new to show us?

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks BT!

Nothing new yet. I do have an idea...actually it's a dessert! LOL! The idea still plays off of nigiri sushi just like the duck. I still need to play around with the gluco since it's supposed to be alot more user friendly, and most of the ideas I have cannot really be used with the algin/calcium.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
holy crap, jeeks! i missed this one.

awesome job! you're a triple threat! as good at food photography as you are at plating and cooking.

cooksie, do you mean "depth of field"?

I was probably thinking bokeh.