Karen's Grandma's Fried Chicken

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I've been asked to post the recipe for the chicken I made yesterday. It is an old "recipe" that my grandma used to make, so the amounts are approximate.

1 frying chicken, cut-up (I cut the breasts in half, horizontally, and I put the backs in the freezer for stock)
1 and 1/2 cups seasoned flour (I season liberally with lots of salt and pepper and paprika and a little bit of cayenne)
oil for frying

NOTE: Sometimes I soak the chicken in milk for a few hours prior to cooking, but this time I didn't.

Put the seasoned flour in a bag and flour the chicken, a few pieces at a time, shake off excess.

Brown the chicken in batches in about 1/2 inch of hot oil - I used corn oil.

Put the browned pieces on a baking sheet and cover tightly with foil.

Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes.

Remove the foil and continue baking for 20-30 minutes more - depends on the size of the chicken. The one I cooked yesterday was small, so I only cooked for 20 minutes each time.

This chicken comes out moist and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside - just right, thanks to my Grandma, who ran a boardinghouse and was famous for her fried chicken.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 134

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Looks like Grandma knew her fried chicken. Looks delicious.

I was reading about fried chicken a couple of weeks ago on egullet, and one person suggested that you poach the chicken first and then fry. Your way sounds easier.

Deelady

Thank you Karen! It looks fantastic and will give your method a go soon! I thought for sure though that you might have had more seasonings in it, it looks like it might have, but from what you wrote it sounds pretty standard as far as the seasonings go. But your method is definately unique to me!

Thank you again!! Can't wait :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Beautiful Fried Chicken Karen! I'll take a bucket of that to go please! Awesome! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks, everyone - it's funny how I searched cookbooks and the internet for a way to fry chicken that would be (1) crispy without using a liter of oil; (2) moist and tender; and (3) fully cooked - I really cannot abide chicken that isn't thoroughly cooked. Then, it occurred to me that the way my grandma made chicken accomplishes all three. So I just went back to the TNT. You can use any seasonings you want, just make sure to use enough. Sometimes, I use Lawry's Seasoned Salt, but Grandma never did, of course.

GotGarlic

Your chicken looks wonderful, Karen. My mom always put salt, pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning in her flour for fried chicken. Yummo.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Poultry seasoning! What a good idea - I'll do that next time I make it.

One of my all-time favorite spice blends!

Karen, I'm going to try this your grandma's way, too! I only cook thighs, chicken leg quarters and wings.

Do you think you could try it with (a BUNCH of ) whole wings and let me know about any differences in times? :)

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
QSis said:
Do you think you could try it with (a BUNCH of ) whole wings and let me know about any differences in times? :)

Judging by the wings I cooked along with the whole chicken yesterday, I'm thinking about 20 minutes covered and 20 minutes uncovered. You might get by with 15, but maybe they wouldn't be as tender.