ISO cheese filled crumb coffee cake rec.

jkath

Thanks so much, Susan! I think I may add just a touch of lemon juice to it, but other than that, it sounds pretty tasty!
I sure appreciate your help.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
No problem, jkath. I love to help out like this. I have made what you seek in the past. I use to love a good crumb cake. I haven't made one in ages.

jkath

STOP!!! Put the ingredients down until after you read this!

The only one Susan had posted first was the Taste of Home one.
After baking, the taste is quite good, and the texture isn't bad. The filling is very rich and tasty. And, the timing is pretty accurate. It might be nice with a thin drizzling of powdered sugar/water icing in a pretty design on the top.

That said.........I think I'd change the recipe, or maybe try one of the others.

The dough was the stickiest I've worked with. It felt like it needed at least 1½ c. more flour. (think of extra sticky biscuit dough before you add the extra flour) So, spreading it in the pan was really not so much spreading, as putting small spoonfuls all over and trying to smooth it into one big layer.

The filling, as the recipe stated, was small, so I increased everything by one half. I also added 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice. The amount of the filling seemed just right. :smile:

The top batter was harder than the first layer, as it had to top the cream cheese layer.

But, the end result was a nice one, so I guess if someone else made this, I'd be happy to eat it :wink:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Well, the Carole Walter one without the cream cheese filling is really excellent. I made it soon after buying the book.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Carole Walter's Butter Crumb Coffee Cake
10-inch springform 10-12 servings

Ingredients for streusel:
10 2/3 T sweet butter
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking powder
scant 1/2 t salt
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Cake ingredients:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
3/4 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 stick sweet butter, cut into 1/2" cubes, at room temperature
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
1 t vanilla extract
powdered sugar for dusting

Last edited: