Cracked Cheese Cake

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I am sad :sad:

I replaced my old spring form pan (the one that the flat bottom fits into the slot/track on the collar that clamps) because the old one I have had for like 20 years has lost it's spring and the surface has liver spots. LOL I got one of those new ones that looks like it has a lip around it and the bottom is raised a bit. So the collar sits on the bottom and clamps around the raised bottom. I couldn't believe how much it cost!! I had to find a wider roasting pan to sit it in (because of the lip) for the water bath. When I used my old one the top never cracked, this one came out with a star pattern crack :sad: I used the same recipe and did the same water bath.

I can't figure out why this happened after 2o years of no crack!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm sorry Peeps. Here is how I bake my cheesecakes and they I have never had one crack:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the crust for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Pour in your filling. Return to the oven and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Do not open the oven door, just turn the oven down to 250 degrees F and continue baking for 50 minutes. Produces a perfect cheesecake every time!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I'm sorry Peeps. Here is how I bake my cheesecakes and they I have never had one crack:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake the crust for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Pour in your filling. Return to the oven and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Do not open the oven door, just turn the oven down to 250 degrees F and continue baking for 50 minutes. Produces a perfect cheesecake every time!
Thanks Mama. I will copy those directions to try. You don't use a water bath?

I have been using the same recipe/method for 20 years and never a crack. I follow a family recipe. No crust instead butter pan and dust with graham cracker crumbs thats it. Bake at 350F for ONLY 1 hour. Turn off oven DO NOT OPEN oven. Let sit in closed hot oven for 1 hour then remove to cooling rack.

Leni

The crack is because it is being overcooked. You want to remove the cheesecake when there is still a quarter sized spot in the center that jiggles. The cake will continue to cook after it's out of the oven. Of course cracks are why there are toppings for cheesecake. :wink:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The crack is because it is being overcooked. You want to remove the cheesecake when there is still a quarter sized spot in the center that jiggles. The cake will continue to cook after it's out of the oven. Of course cracks are why there are toppings for cheesecake. :wink:
Hello Leni.

My recipe says DO NOT open the oven. So There is no way for me to see the center.

BUT the point is I have been using this recipe/method for 20 years with no problem or cracks. I wonder if it's some how connected to the new pan.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think you're right Peeps, it probably is the new pan...especially since you've been making it in the same pan the same way for all these years and that is the only thing that changed.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I think you're right Peeps, it probably is the new pan...especially since you've been making it in the same pan the same way for all these years and that is the only thing that changed.
I wonder why/how the pan has caused it so I can make an adjustment.

It is one of these:

Kaiser La Forme Plus Springform Pan

MfrStyle: 637020
SKU: 2510837020
PRICE: $41.99​

The Kaiser Bakeware La Forme Plus Springform Pan features a leak-proof design that holds all the ingredients of your cheesecake inside the pan thereby eliminating dripping inside your oven. The Kairamic non-stick coating eliminates the need for flouring pans, resulting in baked goods with a smooth crumb. The magnum coating is not affected by acidic or citrus foods, and allows for easy release when lightly coated with butter or oil. The pan has a 10% shorter baking time in comparison to tinplate pans. Suitable for right and left-handed people, the springform ring can be used on either sides.

Features:
  • new ceramic based coating for longer lifetime and unbelievable release
  • re-designed buckle for easier opening and closing
  • ring can be opened completely for easier cleaning
  • magnum coating on select products creates a cut resistant surface
  • new coating is both PTFE and PFOA free
  • new dark gray, high gloss color
  • 10 year warranty
  • improved packaging includes flip open lids for better merchandising
  • made in Germany
  • heavy commercial weight

Attachments

• springform.jpg
    springform.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 117

SilverSage

Resident Crone
The dark grey color will absorb heat better than a light colored pan, and cook faster. Was your old pan shiny & dark or dull and lighter aluminum? You may have to reduce the cooking time a bit.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The Kaiser Bakeware La Forme Plus Springform Pan features a leak-proof design that holds all the ingredients of your cheesecake inside the pan thereby eliminating dripping inside your oven. The Kairamic non-stick coating eliminates the need for flouring pans, resulting in baked goods with a smooth crumb. The magnum coating is not affected by acidic or citrus foods, and allows for easy release when lightly coated with butter or oil. The pan has a 10% shorter baking time in comparison to tinplate pans. Suitable for right and left-handed people, the springform ring can be used on either sides.

:chef:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I just looked this up online. :bonk:Oh well it will still taste good and we do have cherry pie filling/topping!!

The one pictured is 9" mine is 10". And bottom of mine isn't reversible. So next time I should knock 10 minutes off cooking time?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
10% would be 6 minutes if you normally bake it an hour. You'll need to check the specs for a 10 inch though since those are for a 9 inch.

And the cracks are great for holding more toppings!

Leni

I agree with Mama. It is the new pan that is cooking faster and overcooking the cheesecake. Yum, cherry pie filling.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Personally, I've never had a bad cheesecake...some may be better than others but none of them are bad...especially with a cherry topping!

GotGarlic

I never used to make cheesecake until I found a recipe like Mama's, because for me, the water bath was too much hassle. It works perfectly every time :smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have nothing helpful to say.

But MMMMMMMMMMMMM.... CHEESECAKE!!!! :in_love:

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I never used to make cheesecake until I found a recipe like Mama's, because for me, the water bath was too much hassle. It works perfectly every time :smile:

same here..thats why i buy mine..lol

I have nothing helpful to say.

But MMMMMMMMMMMMM.... CHEESECAKE!!!! :in_love:

Lee

exactly... Peeps that cheesecake looks HORRIBLE..you better send half to me and the other half to Lee so we can "dispose" of it..wouldnt want your family to get bad cheesecake at Xmas time..:brows::yum:

Cheesecake with cherry topping

122410_cheesecake.jpg

i would eat that as my main course,appetizer and dessert...got any left?..lol:a1:

nevermind the fuss, that cheesecake looks like crack to me, lol. yummmmm!!!!

i agree...there is no such thing as bad cheesecake... especially cherry cheesecake..my favorite