Meatloaf in a Crock Pot!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve mentioned this before, but never grabbed pics. We did this again tonight and I have pics now. The key here is to make your loaf the day before and let it sit in the fridge. Then 4 hours before dinner, start the CP on high. This makes a great meatloaf, and does not heat up your house since the CP doesn’t put out that much heat.

Use your favorite meatloaf recipe for this. For the sake of completeness, I’ve included the recipe for meatloaf that I use.

Meatloaf in a Crock Pot

Ingredients

---Loaf---
3 lbs Ground Beef
1 pack Onion Soup Mix
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tbsp Ketchup
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/2 cup Diced Onion (optional)

---Sauce---
1/4 cup BBQ Sauce
1/4 cup Ketchups
1 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp Teriyaki sauce

Procedure

Mix everything together and form into a large round “loaf” (or patty if you will). It should be around 10” in diameter and 2” - 3” tall. The most important part is that the diameter of the loaf must be LESS than the capacity of your Crock Pot (CP). You don’t want the meat lying against the walls.

Place a trivet in the CP. Now place the loaf on top of the trivet. The trivet keeps the loaf off the floor and out of the fat.

It is best to make your loaf ahead of time, then place it on the trivet in a removable crock the night before. Store the loaded crock in the fridge. This not only allows the flavors to blend into the meat, but it makes the next day’s dinner SO easy.

When you are ready to begin cooking, put the crock back in the base and set it for high. Let it cook covered and undisturbed for 4 hours. Now sauce the loaf with your favorite sauce and then cover and allow to cook another 20 - 30 minutes.

I’ve also included my recipe for meatloaf sauce. Simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl, and then paint your loaf with it using a basting brush.

Slice the loaf into slices long ways (makes for easier sandwiches) or slice it into “cake” wedges which is always fun at dinner time! Kids love that! :biggrin:

Form your loaf!
Step1-50.jpg

Place the loaf on a trivet in your removable crock. Store the crock in the fridge, overnight until ready to cook the next day.
Step2-44.jpg

Four hours in and time to sauce.
Step3-38.jpg

Sauced and ready to rest for 5 -10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Step4-28.jpg

And why use the trivet? To keep your loaf out of all this fat! Much more healthy this way. :thumb:
Step5-22.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
That looks really good. With the very lean ground beef sold here in Mexico, it is hard to get a meatloaf to come out juicy and moist in the oven. It is usually dry as sawdust. I'll try the crockpot. Thanks!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That looks really good. With the very lean ground beef sold here in Mexico, it is hard to get a meatloaf to come out juicy and moist in the oven. It is usually dry as sawdust. I'll try the crockpot. Thanks!

This technique would work wonderfully with very lean beef.

Also, consider adding some fatty breakfast sausage or pork sausage to your loaf for a little extra fat.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:
Also, consider adding some fatty breakfast sausage or pork sausage to your loaf for a little extra fat.

I do use about 1/3 ground pork when I make meatloaf (it has a bit more fat than the ground beef), but there really isn't any ground breakfast sausage available here, unless you count chorizo. Now, that might be a tasty addition to my meatloaf - I'll have to ponder on that.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I do use about 1/3 ground pork when I make meatloaf (it has a bit more fat than the ground beef), but there really isn't any ground breakfast sausage available here, unless you count chorizo. Now, that might be a tasty addition to my meatloaf - I'll have to ponder on that.

:w00t:

Chorizo in meatloaf???? That sounds incredible!! If you do it, you MUST tell us how it went!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Might be good...maybe add some salsa, some queso fresca on the top. If I try it, I'll keep you posted.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
that looks wonderful but you left out an important step. How the heck did you left it out of the crock still in tact and ON THE RACK? 2 tongs?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
that looks wonderful but you left out an important step. How the heck did you left it out of the crock still in tact and ON THE RACK? 2 tongs?

Exactly. I used two sets of tongs to grab each side of the trivet and lift it up. Works well.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here are the plate pics. We made a “country” meal of the meatloaf. We had cornbread, lima beans, cabbage, and mac-n-cheese.

Cornbread.jpg

Plate.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh, I want that! Lima beans!!! (I guess I have covered this elsewhere on the site, but I cannot get them here in Mexico.) That whole plate looks absolutely delicious!