Keeping Cat o' Nine Tails?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is not really gardening, but I was hoping someone who knows about plants may be able to answer. I'm not finding a lot of info via online searches.

I risked life and limb today, cutting a few cat o' nine tails and reeds in a swamp. I love the way they look in my house and want to keep them looking like the picture for as long a possible, without going to seed and getting all fuzzy.

Right now, I have them in a dry vase.

Anyone know how to keep them intact?

Lee

chowhound

Shellac?
No idea, but I've got a whole area full of cat tails, they sure do explode when they go to seed alright. Like cotton.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
They grew every where when I was growing up in South Florida but I've never tried to keep them in a vase. I have seen them dried in flower arrangements though I have no idea how it was done. I do know they are an excellent food source as well as many medical uses.

chowhound

A quick search turned up using hairspray, the aerosol kind, not the "green" stuff (lol). It has to be done right away. They said they will last for years doing this.

homecook

A quick search turned up using hairspray, the aerosol kind, not the "green" stuff (lol). It has to be done right away. They said they will last for years doing this.

I agree with chow!! I used to do this all the time. Definitely the aerosol.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
We call them cat tails. A cat o' nine tails is something that Vera might own... :ohmy:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Use one of two methods to preserve cattails indefinitely. For either way to work, the cattails should be dry.

One way is to dip them into a diluted solution of Elmer’s glue. Add one part Elmer’s glue to nine parts water and mix thoroughly. I’ve made the ideal dipping container from a 24-inch piece of plastic pipe with a cap glued to one end. Others use one of those half-moon dishes for holding and buttering individual cobs of corn.

To seal the cattails in diluted Elmer’s glue, dip or slowly spin each cattail in the container for a few seconds. Stand each cattail separately so they do not touch each other until they dry, which may require eight to 10 hours depending on the humidity.

Use this method, and your cattails won’t be shiny after they dry.

The other method of preserving cattails is to spray them with a cheap hair spray rich in lacquer. The cheaper the hair spray, the better. If you are going to treat several cattails, spray outdoors to avoid inhaling the fumes. Next stand them separately until they dry, usually in less than an hour.

http://www.bayweekly.com/year05/issuexiii39/gardenerxiii39.html

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, well, the whipping thing was what my searches kept yielding.

Dry, and aerosol hairspray, huh? Okay, I can do that!

Thanks, folks!

Just what I needed to know!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lee - My mom was a flower aranger of some repute. What she dis was to dry things in Borax. Just another opinion.

Andy

buckytom

Grill Master
qsis, if you've gotten them fairly young, the hairspray will work. but if they were more mature, they'll still explode unless you use something more viscous.

i've tried the hairspray thing, only wake up to an allergy sufferer's nightmare in the living room. i'd go with glue or lacquer.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
A gloss spray that can be found in any arts and craft department, the spray is usually used to spray on paintings, drawings and so on as a sealent. I have seen it used on the cat tails also and works.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
qsis, if you've gotten them fairly young, the hairspray will work. but if they were more mature, they'll still explode unless you use something more viscous.

i've tried the hairspray thing, only wake up to an allergy sufferer's nightmare in the living room. i'd go with glue or lacquer.

Well, I couldn't see spending money on a few free weeds, so I went with the hair spray.

You were right, BT, LOL! (dontya just love to hear those words?)

Lee

1242483.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, nope, that never gets old.

ewww, that's creepy looking. just don't fall asleep with one of those in your house.

or else you'll start needing to wear a foil hat and face your tv to the wall like some of the other members do here.