Fish coating for Frying

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I usually do the regular breading flour, egg wash, crumbs. But I have some nice flounder fillets and want to just do them with light coating. Do I need to do flour, egg wash, cornmeal. Or can I JUST coat them in seasoned cornmeal only and fry? Or do I need to do the flour and egg or buttermilk then cornmeal? Basically I want to know if I just coat in cornmeal will it fall off without flour, egg, buttermilk whatever.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Here's what works for me for pan frying flounder filets:

Season the fish with lemon pepper
Lightly dredge in flour
Hot, non-stick skillet with a very little oil

PanFriedFlounder.jpg

I only use cornmeal if I'm going to deep fry.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Peep, you can.

Here's one recipe I found, using catfish:

Deep-Fried Catfish Recipe

Ingredients:
Peanut Oil*
4 medium freshwater catfish fillets**
1 cup cold milk
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 to 3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
* Use enough peanut oil to completely cover fish while frying.
** To clean a whole catfish, remove skin from the catfish, then slice the fillet across to a thickness of no more than 1/4 inch. The secret to frying catfish is using thin fillets less than 1/4-inch thick.
HINT: An hour-long soak in buttermilk washes away the muddy flavor from freshwater fish such as catfish and tilapia.

Preparation:

In a large pot or deep fat fryer, preheat peanut oil to 357 degrees F. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
Rinse the fillets under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels. In a pie place, lay fillets and pour milk over the top. In another pie plate, combine cornmeal, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Remove the fillets one at a time from the milk and roll in the cornmeal mixture to coat evenly; place on a large platter to dry. leaving space between them. Let dry at least 5 minutes. Place 4 to 6 pieces of catfish at a time in the hot oil to fry (don't crows the fryer or the oil temperature will drop too much). Fry 6 to 7 minutes per side or until the catfish fillets are a light golden brown and the meat flakes easily with a fork. A simple test for properly fried catfish is to pick up a fried fillet by one end and not have it bend or wilt.
Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain. After draining, place the fillets on another platter covered with paper towels; place in preheated oven to keep warm while frying the remaining fillets. The fillets will remain hot and crisp for as long as 35 minutes. Makes 4 servings.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Lee.

BUT can I JUST coat the fish with cornmeal without soaking or dipping in anything else?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sorry, I misunderstood. I've never deep fried flounder, but I deep fry catfish all the time with no soaking or dipping. The coating that works for me and sticks is a mixture of 3 to 1 cornmeal and fish fry seasoning (which is just a mixture of corn flour and seasonings). I've never done straight cornmeal. I'm thinking a little flour mixed in with the cornmeal may work for deep frying your flounder without having to soak/dip.

Again, I've never done it that way, so if it's a bomb.......:hide2: .

I usually do the regular breading flour, egg wash, crumbs. But I have some nice flounder fillets and want to just do them with light coating. Do I need to do flour, egg wash, cornmeal. Or can I JUST coat them in seasoned cornmeal only and fry? Or do I need to do the flour and egg or buttermilk then cornmeal? Basically I want to know if I just coat in cornmeal will it fall off without flour, egg, buttermilk whatever.

I never "deep-fry" anything - always pan fry or bake. And for seafood I like a "the lighter the better" coating, thus I rarely if ever do the egg-wash thing. It's just seasoned flour, panko breadcrumbs, or cornmeal for me, & I've yet to have the coating fall off during cooking. But that's just with pan-frying; can't comment on what will happen deep-frying.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I never "deep-fry" anything - always pan fry or bake. And for seafood I like a "the lighter the better" coating, thus I rarely if ever do the egg-wash thing. It's just seasoned flour, panko breadcrumbs, or cornmeal for me, & I've yet to have the coating fall off during cooking. But that's just with pan-frying; can't comment on what will happen deep-frying.
I will be putting about a 1/4 inch or less of oil in my cast iron pan (just enough grape seed, canola and peanut oil combo to almost cover the food being fried depends on how thick the food is). That's how I "deep" fry all food except for southern fried chicken (that gets my 5.5 qt pot and about 3 inches of oil). Not really deep frying but close enough to get an even browning without sitting flat on the bottom of the pan.

Thank you for your reply.

GotGarlic

When you say "deep-frying," Peeps, most people take it to mean the food is submerged in oil. It's helpful if we all use the same definitions, so we all have the same idea in mind :smile: I think Breezy's method will work fine for your purpose. I do the same thing, although for two portions, I'll use 1 tbsp. each of butter and oil for pan-frying thin white fish fillets.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Well if something is only 1/8 inch thick and it is being cooked in a 1/4 inch of oil it is submerged unless it floats to the top and that happens even when "deep frying" in a gallon of oil.

Thank you for the reply.

I will be using a grape seed oil and canola oil combo.

GotGarlic

Well if something is only 1/8 inch thick and it is being cooked in a 1/4 inch of oil it is submerged unless it floats to the top and that happens even when "deep frying" in a gallon of oil.

Thank you for the reply.

I will be using a grape seed oil and canola oil combo.

Oh, sorry. The flounder I get isn't that thin.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh, sorry. The flounder I get isn't that thin.
No problem GG.

I usually buy cod which is a lot thicker. This flounder was very thin and mild. It had no fish smell raw or during and after cooking. You can't even tell I cooked fish. It was so thin it fell apart while turning. I wish it was a bit thicker.

I used cornmeal with a very small amount of flour. I seasoned it with ground sea salt and peppercorns and lemon and herb Old Bay. Then just dredged the fillets and fried. It was so delicate and mild.

Thank you everyone one for the replies.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Sometimes, to coat (never had flounder), we egg wash and use a 50/50 mixture of Panko and Instant Potato Flakes.

Guts

I believe you're talking about pan frying fish, but you can also deep Fry it. Here's the beer batter recipe I use.

Bob s beer batter​

1 cup of flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
2/3 of a 12 ounce can of dead beer
1 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of accent/MSG

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I used cornmeal with a very small amount of flour. I seasoned it with ground sea salt and peppercorns and lemon and herb Old Bay. Then just dredged the fillets and fried in about a 1/2 inch of canola, grape seed and peanut oils.

031612_fried_flounder_P1090412.jpg