Ingredient Showcase ... Smoked Food

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This is a Showcase of a single ingredient.

Each post should revolve around the showcase ingredient.

There are no rules just a single dish or a meal involving the showcased ingredient.

When possible post should include your recipe/instructions (or a link to your recipe). Pictures of your dish are always welcome and would be wonderful but not mandatory.

Let's have fun with this!!

And the star of this Showcase is ... Smoked Food (from any seafood, dairy, bird or 4 legged beast - any form - examples: bacon, ham, turkey, lox, oysters, sausage, lil smokies, dairy etc.)

smoked_food_Showcase.jpg

Whether it be meat, poultry, fish or cheese we LOVE our smoked goodies! Show us your favorites.

smoked_foods_showcase.jpg

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Ingredient Showcase ... Smoked Food February 2012

oh, peep, lol. if u were serious 'bout the speck, it's like proscuitto, slightly thicker & prepped differently. i getcitterio fresco if u wanna get it for 8-ish dollars. 9, sometimes. wait- i hafta take a pic, hehe- i'm returning that lox in the pic- pinbones, oversalted; won't buy that kind again! ughhhh.

Attachments

• IMG_33761146.jpg
    IMG_33761146.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

I used some of my first pay check and went to TJ's yesterday. I picked up smoked gouda and smoked English cheddar. Hopefully I will be able to make some smoked cheese stuffed burgers topped with .... BACON and more smoked cheese!! LOL

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

For the Kings and Queens of smoking! Please post your beautiful creations here. Pics, tips, tricks and secrets!!

Attachments

• YjG3jd0.gif
    YjG3jd0.gif
    29.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Not a Smoke Queen, still a beginner, but here's a couple of things that I learned that might help someone who is new to smoking meats.

- Start with something easy. Whole chickens are very forgiving. You just almost can't screw those up. Pork butts are pretty easy too.

- Keep a log of your cooks. What did you cook, how much did it weigh, how long did it take, what were your temp's, etc.

- You don't have to have a bunch of fancy stuff to get started. You will, however, find yourself wanting the fancy stuff :ermm:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Cooksie, those are really good tips! Especially the tip about pork butt being forgiving - it SO is!

Peep, your post mentioning BACON, reminded me to post a tip to those of us who smoke meats: when the main event (your dinner) is done, and you still have a nice low and slow fire going, lay some bacon on a mesh grill topper, throw on some wood chips (I love cherry for bacon) and smoke that bacon until it's almost done. Wrap the slices in paper towels and nuke a few at a time for the best BLT's you've ever had!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Chicken parts Smoked on my Nordic ware stovetop smoker (apple wood and hickory chips used). Then brushed with a BBQ glaze I whipped up and placed under the broiler to develop a bark.

picture.php

picture.php