Smoked Turkey Melt

AllenOK

I learned how to do this sandwich up in Michigan. When I moved down here to OK, I was telling my Sous and Exec. Chefs about it. My Exec. Chef didn't think it would sell, until I made one and had him taste it. I ended up making three that night, as everyone wanted a taste.

You do need to make a couple of things first.

Sage Mayo - take some fresh sage and cut it chiffonade. Roll the leaves into a cigar-like shape, and using a freaking sharp knife, slice the herb across the roll into thin strips. Mix the sage, to taste, with some mayo. Cover and refrigerate.

Sauteed onions and apples - I usually just julienne a red onion, and cut one or two apples, depending on size, into wedges and saute these in clarified butter. Let them cool. We used Gala Apples up in Michigan. My Chef down here only buys small Red Delicous apples, which aren't the best for this. Use what you like.

Cook a couple of pieces of good, flavorful bacon.

To make the sandwich:

Preheat a griddle to medium heat. Spread some clarified butter over most of the griddle. Place two pieces of Texas Toast on the griddle. Also, place some of the sauteed apple and onion mixture on the griddle, as well as 4 oz of good, thinly-sliced, smoked turkey and the bacon. Let the bread toast, the apple/onion mix heat and caramelize, and the turkey heat and caramelize. Once the bread has toasted, remove and spread some of the sage mayo onto both pieces. Flip both the turkey and the apple/onion mix. Once the apple/onion mix is hot, layer the turkey, bacon, and the apple/onion mix together. Cover with some sliced smoked cheddar (I find it best to put the cheese between the meat and apple/onion mix, so it melts quickly). Place the "stack" onto one piece of bread, and cover with the second.

For presentation, I secure the sandwich in two corners with toothpicks, cut it on a diagonal, and then stand the sandwich up, cut side parallel, and stick the toothpicks completely through and into the other half. Served with chips or fries.

Click for Pic!