Flat Iron Delight

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I must admit, never encountered a flat iron steak - apparently it's hit the airwaves because suddenly it showed up in our market - so I said, said I, "Why not?" and bought one - cryovac'd, etc.

rubbed with 2 cloves of diced garlic, then a rub - salt+pepper+dry mustard+parsley flakes, liberal drizzle of olive oil, flip, drizzle other side, marinate in fridge three hours; flipped once.

pan fried at a good sizzle 5 minutes per side, let rest, covered 6 minutes (the fresh corn was cooking....) sliced diagonal ala London Broil.

spectacular flavor - tender - no knife needed - cuts with a fork.

if you've not tried this cut I highly recommend an excursion into flat iron country!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good Chowdah!
I know our market has them occasionally, so I'll keep my eyes open.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm a big fan of Flat Iron which has been easily obtainable in my area for some time. I have pretty much the same results with it as you did, tasty, tender with little work.

smoke king

Banned
Kroegers has been selling them around here for a couple of years, and they quickly became one of our favorites!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Never tried one, heck never even seen one. :hide:
http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa051207a.htm

The Flat Iron is very similar to any of the Flat Steaks so anything calling for Skirt or Flank Steak will benefit from a Flat Iron Steak. This steak is best grilled over a medium high heat. I don't suggest going as hot as possible unless you pick up a particularly thin cut. I like to get them thick (about an inch or more) so I grill at a little lower temperature to keep from charring the outside before it heats through the middle.

If your butcher stares blankly at you when you ask for a Flat Iron steak, it might not be because he’s a bad butcher. It might be that this particular cut (or actually this particular name) hasn't caught on in your neck of the woods. Instead ask for a Top Blade Steak. But definitely track one down and give it a try. You might just find your perfect steak.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Same here never seen or tasted flat iron. BUT like you said people are raving about them and low and behold they show up on the menu at my favorite steakhouse. I tried it and its ok but not as flavorful as my fav NY strip. But at a lesser price I may order it every other time.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks oh Sassy one!!!! :D :tiphat:
You're welcome daaahhling :tongue:

Chowder, I searched at the store this evening and, alas.. no Flat Iron's, but I know I've seen them.
I did get a good deal on some boneless filet of sirloin.

2010-08-30 22-03-07.345.jpg

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>not found

yup - that's been my experience - I've seen them mentioned on the forums but never saw them in the store. the 'different names' certainly could play a role in that!

the tv cooking shows create a curious phenomena - I have noticed that for a long time - back in the day of Emeril when he would do a feature within a week or two the stores were 'featuring' the stuff.

by happenstance after stuffing ourselves on the flat iron last night, flipped on the tv and there was Rachel Ray doing a (cubed up) version!

another example: ossa bucco has long been a favorite around here - never had a problem getting the shin bone cut; then Emeril did a feature and you couldn't find them for miles and miles - had to 'special order' at the butcher!

High Cheese

Saucier
No doubt ChowderMan.

What USED to be one of the cheapest cuts, the skirt steak, is now $7.99/lb at most stores in my area. Flank is about the same.

Lefty

Yank
I am seeing it around more and more, but as others have said, the price has gone up with it popularity. I love to cook it for mexican food. Fajitas are awesome with FI.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i made 1 of these years ago & luved that cut of meat.
lol, initially, when i saw 'flat-iron', i swooned, as i am a female & my mind therefore goes initially 2 items used 4 the straightening of tresses as opposed 2 food & types of meats.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks good Sass:thumb:...that is one cut of meat that i have never cooked:ohmy:

here is a video of grilling a flat iron steak

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ss3vS-iT4[/ame]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Flat Iron steaks and Spider Steaks are two of the winners of a collage contest run a couple of years ago looking for new cuts of meat. Both where normally used to cut up for ground and sausage meats. Flat Iron wasn't very good until someone though to cut the meat in steaks and remove the tendon that ran thought the center of it giving 4 steaks. After tender loin it is most tender cut their is on a steer naturally. I have yet to see a spider steak which actually looks like it has 8 legs in my area but have eaten it in other areas of the country. It is also excellent and very tender. There is a 3rd one but for the life I me I can't remember now what it is called.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have never seen it in my market.I did try it at a steak house and didn't think it was that great. I still think NY strip or shell are much better on flavor.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't tried it yet either, but they sell it here. Just looking at it, it looks like it would be tough.....but the guy in Bam's vid said it was as tender as Filet Mignon???? I'll have to give this a whirl and see what it's like.

For those that have tried it, do you cook it like a regular steak or braise it? Is it tender?

FooD

I tried it for the first time the other day because it caught my eye at my local super market. I don't think I've seen this cut of meat here locally before, although I've heard of it. It was good, but I think I prefer skirt steaks better.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I haven't tried it yet either, but they sell it here. Just looking at it, it looks like it would be tough.....but the guy in Bam's vid said it was as tender as Filet Mignon???? I'll have to give this a whirl and see what it's like.

For those that have tried it, do you cook it like a regular steak or braise it? Is it tender?

indeed, looks a lot like "London Broil" - which I've always found rather tough and chewy.

I do it five minutes per side at a hot sizzle in a heavy pan followed by resting. it is mountains above anything I've ever bought as "London Broil"

terminology varies horrendously in the meat cutting department. in the couple reference I have on-disk, "flat iron" roast or steak is associated with the shoulder blade cuts.

in the references I have on-disk, there's _nothing_ identified "on the cow diagram" as any kind of "skirt" or "plate" cut - go figger.

curiously, London Broil is alternatively identified as coming from either the flank or the shoulder. I've had good London Broil in restaurants - I'm thinking they use flat iron / shoulder and not flank..... the 'name' as I'm given to understand refers to the broil/slice on the bias 'technique' rather than the actual cut of meat. it is also a total unknown in London, UK - just in case you wanted go sample something 'authentic' (g)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

indeed, looks a lot like "London Broil" - which I've always found rather tough and chewy.

I do it five minutes per side at a hot sizzle in a heavy pan followed by resting. it is mountains above anything I've ever bought as "London Broil"

terminology varies horrendously in the meat cutting department. in the couple reference I have on-disk, "flat iron" roast or steak is associated with the shoulder blade cuts.

in the references I have on-disk, there's _nothing_ identified "on the cow diagram" as any kind of "skirt" or "plate" cut - go figger.

curiously, London Broil is alternatively identified as coming from either the flank or the shoulder. I've had good London Broil in restaurants - I'm thinking they use flat iron / shoulder and not flank..... the 'name' as I'm given to understand refers to the broil/slice on the bias 'technique' rather than the actual cut of meat. it is also a total unknown in London, UK - just in case you wanted go sample something 'authentic' (g)
I got mine at a steakhouse and it was grilled over flames. It did remind me of london broil - very lean and a bit tough/chewy. It wasn't as tender or flavorful as filet mignon not even close.

NY strip/shell is much more flavorful and tender. I like skirt steak pan fried and due to the fact that it is dense muscle I can sear it nice and crusty and the inside is still nice and pink. The high fat/marbling gives it nice flavor. Just my opinion.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Pan fried is the same way I do it and I also prefer marinated skirt steak to all of it. However it is more tender than Filet Mignon as with out the bacon around it you are eating a hocky puck. NY Strips are good but not what I would call a super tender cut of beef as not all are created equal. Get a good aged piece of beef and it is different than what you buy in the food store packaged. Prime rib are still my favorite cut of beef after Brisket of Beef oven roasted.

Here is an idea of what part of the animal it comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Pan fried is the same way I do it and I also prefer marinated skirt steak to all of it. However it is more tender than Filet Mignon as with out the bacon around it you are eating a hocky puck. NY Strips are good but not what I would call a super tender cut of beef as not all are created equal. Get a good aged piece of beef and it is different than what you buy in the food store packaged. Prime rib are still my favorite cut of beef after Brisket of Beef oven roasted.

Here is an idea of what part of the animal it comes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_iron_steak.
I dislike filet mignon. IMO it's not worth the price or hype!! Hocky puck is being nice!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i agree...i am not a fan of NY strips period...give me a ribeye AKA prime rib anyday..more flavor, more marbling, a better cut of meat. nothing better than a dry-aged ribeye

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes no fat not taste and tough simply a plan idea. Aging is critical also as the meat mush hang for awhile before cutting up or it is WalMart quality. Simply try a piece of aged meat and you will never buy for the supper market again.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter