The Sandwich Thread.

Lefty

Yank
How do you build a sandwich?

I like thin cut (shaved) cold cuts.

Even distribution of spread and cold cuts. (I cant stand "the hill" on the cold cuts, every bite must have equal distro)

I'll post more as I think of them.

What is important to you when building a sandwich?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I almost always prefer leaf lettuce and tomato slices on sandwiches!. I only put the spread or dressing on one side, and that's usually the bottom.

They cut meats and cheeses way too thick for my preference down here. Have to request thin cut all the time.

If it's a salad type filing, like tuna, chicken or egg, I don't put more mayonnaise on the bread, too.

Some sandwiches insist on toasting the bread, like BLT, or Clubs.

I prefer a triangle cut as opposed to a straight cut when using sliced bread.

Swiss is almost always my cheese of choice, although cheddar or provolone are often in the house, as well.

I don't care for smoked meats or cheeses from the deli department.

I want a hot pastrami sandwich right now.

Lefty

Yank
My favorite sandwich cheese is provolone, followed by swiss. Funny thing, I like my sandwiches cut half way between triangle and straight halved.

Hot pastrami may be the greatest hot sandwich ever made.

For other toppings I like leaf lettuce and tomato too.

K

Kimchee

NOT a fan of soggy bread, it must be removed. (Personally if the bread got soggy something was wrong with that sandwich.)
Also not a fan of the Sandwich Hill, gimme even distribution.
Other then that, if it's on bread and the bread has fillings, I'm happy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I want a hot pastrami sandwich right now.

Here you go, Vera and Lefty! Enough for both of you!

This is our own pastrami (store-bought corned beef that we'd smoked and sliced on our deli-slicer).

Lee

Attachments

• Homemade_pastrami.JPG
    Homemade_pastrami.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 172

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
First of all, I think a good quality bread is essential.
For egg, tuna and chicken salad, I like a thick cut, grainy bread or a croissant.
For luncheon meat and cheese sannies, I prefer a thinner, lighter bread since I like to use additional toppings like lettuce, tomato, onion and bread and butter pickles.
When I pack a sandwich for work, all sog inducing toppings get packed in their own happy little container until they need used.
Once in a while I love a good old balogna sandwich slapped on white bread with mustard, lettuce and potato chips on the inside- then flattened down. MMmmmmm lol
BLT's must be on toasted bread, and I love spreading a little ranch dressing on the toast before adding the B L and T.
Triangle cut here, pointy side in the gob first!:tongue:

Lefty

Yank
Lee, you are killing me. :applause:

I just thought of another favorite. The French Dip. A really god one requires lots of napkins.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Sometimes, well most of the time :blush:, I cut the crust off the bread, especially if it's a pimiento cheese or chicken/tuna salad sandwich. My favorite sandwich is BLAT - toasted bread, heavy mayo, iceburg lettuce, lots of bacon, avocado, and tomato - and I cut my sandwiches across for some reason (must be a childhood thing).

Phiddlechik

yep, even distribution of meat here, too. I don't like too much of it, either. I like to spread butter on first, so the bread don't absorb the other condiments, but just a thin, even smear. I like Miracle Whip, not mayo.
I like toasted bread on lots of sandwiches. (except for a radish sandwich, then soft white bread/butter/sliced radishes/salt/pepper)
Crisp lettuce.
Not a fan of processed sandwich meats.
Swiss, provolone, sharp cheddar. Wasabi cheddar is FAB with roast beef.
Love a contrast in textures. Creamy with crunchy.

buckytom

Grill Master
the worst hill makers around here are the diners that offer open faced sandwiches, especially with melted cheese on them.

open faced reubens and roast beef or turkey sandwiches end up being a big lump in the middle, almost nothing around the edges.

i prefer super thin or shaved cold cuts and cheeses, but i also prefer if each slice is bunched up or rolled, so it's not just a flat layer of meat or cheese on the sandwich. flat layers sort of defeats the purpose of thin slicing.

and a lot of sandwiches are helped out by oil and vinegar, or a gravy or french dip.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my preferential sammiches vary from here till there; mostly, though, i prefer a cooked sammich

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
aw, i forewent listing braunswieger! that's a great sammich, if made w/ that! although this contends w/ my peanut-butter/pickle sammiches.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Current Fav Deli sammie: Shaved turkey breast (deli bunched pile but even across), leaf lettuce, mayo on WW bread (untoasted) cut on the diag.

Lefty

Yank
Today's lunch will be a Carolina BBQ Sandwich and a side of BBQ Beans.

BTW, Carolina BBQ Sandwich = pulled pork and cole slaw sandwich.

BBQ Beans = Baked beans with a generous dash of BBQ sauce.

Served with iced tea of coarse.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Today's dinner for me will be a sandwich.
Arby's Roast Beef Gyro. I had one last week or so and they are pretty good.

-thin-sliced roast beef seasoned with traditional Greek spices, tomatoes, lettuce and red onions on a warm pita flatbread with a cool cucumber gyro sauce-