Sunday Special - Oscar Questions Re-Visited

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Sunday Special - Oscar Questions Re-Visited
I've searched the daily trivia archives to come up with this Sunday's Special, which means that the questions are all repeats from the daily postings.........

1. Can you name the only actor in history to be nominated for a best actor Oscar two times, AFTER his death ?
2. Jackie Gleason was nominated for only one Oscar- a "Best Supporting Role" effort in this 1961 drama...
3. This 1963 Bio-Epic took home seven Oscars, but Peter O'Toole did not win best actor....
4. Fill in the blank;
In 1997 James Cameron's Titanic received ______Oscars, sharing the record of the most Oscars awards for a single film with William Wyler's Ben Hur (1959).
5. How many Oscars did West Side Story earn ?
6. Name the actor who won an Oscar for his 1968 performance in the movie Oliver. (hint: His name is the same as the film)
7. How many "Best Director" Oscars did Alfred Hitchcock win ?
8. What year did The "Best Film Oscar go to Gladiator ?
9. Fill in the blank; An unrecognizable Nicole Kidman won an Oscar for her role of V_______ W____ in The Hours.
10. "Secret Love"won a best song Oscar; name the 1953 Doris Day film it's from.
11. What 1978 film earned Jane Fonda a Best Actress Oscar ?
12. Name the 1953 movie for which Frank Sinatra won an Oscar .
13. Of it's eleven nominations, how many Oscars did The Color Purple win ?
14. What movie won Robert DeNiro a bets actor Oscar in 1980 ?
15. Shortest film role to be nominated for an Oscar; Sylvia Miles, on-screen for just six minutes; name the 1969 film. (Hint; Both Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight were also nominated for an Oscar, and the film won "Best Picture")
16. Name the 1952 western that won Gary Cooper a Best Actor Oscar.
17. John Wayne won his only best actor Oscar for portraying what character ?
18. Can you name the only person to be nominated for an Oscar, Grammy, Golden Globe, and Nobel Prize ? (Bonus; which of these, if any, has he won?)
19. Can you name the only best-picture Oscar winner with the word "love" in the title ? (Hint; the year was 1998)
20. Tom Hanks won back-to-back Best Actor awards for what films ?

1. James Dean (East of Eden and Giant)
2. The Hustler
3. Lawrence of Arabia
4. Eleven
5. Ten
6. Oliver Reed
7. None
8. 2000
9. Virginia Woolf
10. Calamity Jane
11. Coming Home
12. From here to Eternity
13. None
14. Raging Bull
15. Midnight Cowboy
16. High Noon
17. Rooster Cogburn in True Grit
18. Bono of U2 (Grammy)
19. Shakespeare in Love
20. Philadelphia (1993) and Forrest Gump (1994)

Calicolady

Not one clue. Not a movie buff.
#5 no clue but I love W.S.S. but just this year found out the voices weren't their's. How disappointing that was!

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I think Beymer did his own singing, but Marnie Nixon (I think that's right) did Natalie and Rita's singing parts.

Matter of fact, they waited till the day of the premiere to tell Ms. Wood that her singing voice wouldn't be heard in the film.... she was devastated..........

There's one musical number where Nixon actually sings a duet with herself, as Maria and Anita; "Tonight".. The Jets are gonna have their way tonight.......
Anita's gonna have her way tonight...etc.

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
One of my greatest pleasures use to be going to see foreign and indie films. These days, I am usually too pooped to pop to go.

Calicolady

Thanks, lt. I know. I don't remember why or where I saw that this year, but amazing career. And no ego to make it known at the time. At least to the little people like me.