Almond Joy taste-alike Torte

SilverSage

Resident Crone
A couple years ago, I found a picture on the internet of a dessert that was from some little inn in Vermont. There was no recipe - just a description. Without a recipe, the top and bottom layers were doable, but the filling had me stumped. I've looked, searched, experimented, to no avail.

Well, this year I was determined. I made a flourless chocolate almond cake that was rich like a brownie, but not as dense. And it had a bit of texture from the ground nuts.

The filing took a lot more effort. I started with a base recipe from somewhere, and played with it. I can't post a recipe exactly because I just kept working at it. I'm going to have to make it again and measure what I do. It's rich and chewy, with white chocolate and cream cheese, and lots of coconut in it.

I topped it with a chocolate glaze that seemed pretty basic. But in the morning, I found a disaster! The glaze recipe I used lumped, clumped, slumped, and went dull and hard instead of shiny and silky. So I put the whole cake on a rack, then on a sheet pan in a very low oven to melt the chocolate glaze. With a spatula, I scraped all the melted chocolate right into the trash. Then I did what I should have done in the first place: I covered it in my TNT chocolate ganache, and pressed chopped almonds into the sides.

This was a perfect Almond Joy bar in every bite! You need to keep the pieces small - it's very rich.

As soon as I figure out that filling, I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.

Attachments

• xmas 2010 012.jpg
    xmas 2010 012.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 245
  • xmas 2010 016.jpg
    xmas 2010 016.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 274
  • xmas 2010 025.jpg
    xmas 2010 025.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 247
  • almond joy cake 013.jpg
    almond joy cake 013.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
A couple years ago, I found a picture on the internet of a dessert that was from some little inn in Vermont. There was no recipe - just a description. Without a recipe, the top and bottom layers were doable, but the filling had me stumped. I've looked, searched, experimented, to no avail.

Well, this year I was determined. I made a flourless chocolate almond cake that was rich like a brownie, but not as dense. And it had a bit of texture from the ground nuts.

The filing took a lot more effort. I started with a base recipe from somewhere, and played with it. I can't post a recipe exactly because I just kept working at it. I'm going to have to make it again and measure what I do. It's rich and chewy, with white chocolate and cream cheese in it.

I topped it with a chocolate glaze that seemed pretty basic. But in the morning, I found a disaster! The glaze recipe I used lumped, clumped, slumped, and went dull and hard instead of shiny and silky. So I put the whole cake on a rack, then on a sheet pan in a very low oven to melt the chocolate glaze. With a spatula, I scraped all the melted chocolate right into the trash. Then I did what I should have done in the first place: I covered it in my TNT chocolate ganache, and pressed chopped almonds into the sides.

This was a perfect Almond Joy bar in every bite! You need to keep the pieces small - it's very rich.

As soon as I figure out that filling, I'll post the recipe if anyone wants it.
I most definitely want it!! YUMMY!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
OMG, how incredibly WONDERFUL-looking, SS!!!

And so smart to turn a disaster into a masterpiece!

An Almond Joy in every bite - WOW!!!

Nice job!

Lee