Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Vegetarian Forum

Vegetarian Forum Everything Vegetarian

Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Resident Crone

SilverSage is on a distinguished road
Style: Default VB Style
Exclamation Meatless Mondays!

When I was growing up (Catholic) it was before the Second Vatican Council, and we couldn't eat meat on Fridays. Looking back, I remember that my mother's standard offering on Fridays was fish sticks. MANY years later, I realize that fish sticks were NOT the answer to meatless Fridays.

I do not have intentions of becoming vegetarian or vegan. But I do see much value in eating less animal protein. I frequently have 'meatless meals', but they usually include cheese or eggs as a protein. While 'meatless' is a tiny step, I'm not so sure that substituting one animal protein for another really has much effect on my health.

I'd like to try a truly meatless day. Not Fridays - I don't want any religious overtones to this, good or bad. So I'm going to join the 'Meatless Mondays' movement. I want to try to make it truly free of animal products. Is anyone else interested in trying this?

It should be good for your cholesterol, your blood pressure, your blood sugar, your weight and the environment. Just think - we'll do our small part to help reduce the carbon monoxide levels from cow farts.

It would be great if we could get some help from our resident vegetarians & vegans. I'm sure they'll give us ideas for new ways to use fruits, vegetables & grains to prepare satisfying meals.

Who's interested in giving this a try?

Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are. ~
Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons.
~ Alfred E. Newman

OMG! I decided to blog!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Joyfully Retired

MexicoKaren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meatless Mondays!

I'd like to give it a try also, SS. I know that there are myriad satisfying dishes that do not include meats or other animal proteins. I used to have a good friend who was vegan, and I had fun devising appealing menus when he and his wife came to dinner. A few months ago, we had some visiting relatives of friends over, and I made mushroom burgers, with some chopped nuts. Oh, they were really good. Looks like Peeps is serving quite a few meatless meals. I know we could count on others to give us some ideas. Fun challenge. Let's do it.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Restaurant Chef

lilbopeep will become famous soon enoughlilbopeep will become famous soon enough
Style: Gonzo
Default Re: Meatless Mondays!

I make meatless meals as often as I can get away with it. I will give it a shot. Not sure I can do it on Mondays every week though (hub is off on Mondays and usually wants meat).

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.