Desert made with Splenda?

smoke king

Banned
Thanks for the link Mav, and that is a very good question FC!

They say you can use it in recipes as you would sugar, but I've always been hesitant-I use it in my coffee as well as some other things, and it seems decidedly sweeter to me! To further compound the confusion, it seems I saw "Splenda for baking" at the store, which begs the question, if you can use as you would sugar, why is there a specific one for baking?

With the price of good baking ingredients, I really hate to take a chance "experimenting"!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

They say you can use it in recipes as you would sugar, but I've always been hesitant-I use it in my coffee as well as some other things, and it seems decidedly sweeter to me! To further compound the confusion, it seems I saw "Splenda for baking" at the store, which begs the question, if you can use as you would sugar, why is there a specific one for baking?

With the price of good baking ingredients, I really hate to take a chance "experimenting"!

I ran into the same problem, I bought a big yellow bag of Splenda (complete with pic of a mug of coffee on the front) to use in my coffee. It didnt work, no sweetening at all. I called Splenda and they said it was not for use in hot liquids, so I questioned them on putting a picture of a mug of hot coffee on the front of their package. They sent me a whole bunch of their Splenda packets to use in drinks.
They have that, and a brown sugar substitute, and a baking package, and the sugar replacement package. Makes it all pretty confusing to me.

friedchicken

I ran into the same problem, I bought a big yellow bag of Splenda (complete with pic of a mug of coffee on the front) to use in my coffee. It didnt work, no sweetening at all. I called Splenda and they said it was not for use in hot liquids, so I questioned them on putting a picture of a mug of hot coffee on the front of their package. They sent me a whole bunch of their Splenda packets to use in drinks.
They have that, and a brown sugar substitute, and a baking package, and the sugar replacement package. Makes it all pretty confusing to me.

I think it must be granulated in order to work as sugar substitute.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Have you tried Truvia? I like it the best. I have dipped strawberries in it and it has almost the same flavor as sugar. Not over chemical sweet as you described Splenda. I bought both the regular and baking Splenda. The difference is in the texture. The baking feels more like sugar. BTW the Splenda brown sugar is HALF REAL brown sugar and Half splenda.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
You know, I noticed Truvia at Kroegers and have been wondering about it-on your recommendation, I'll try it next time-Thanks Peep!
Oh good Ok let me know what you think. I find all the other fake sugars have that yucky after taste and over fake sweet. They also tend to give me heartburn for some reason. Splenda is my distant second choice because most restaurants haven't picked up on the Truvia yet but I am hoping that after I ask enough times they will get the hint. LOL

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I already have most of them bookmarked, I think because you gave them to me once before. Either that or I am having Deja Vu, LOL.

Right now I just buy the ALDI artificial sweetener for use in my coffee. Everything else either comes in the diet version or I go without, I have no tolerance for sugars at this point.

I don't remember ever getting heartburn from the Splenda, but I do know that consuming too many artificial sweeteners can cause diarrhea and stomach cramps. That's part of the reason why I don't get too much diet stuff at any one time, LOL.

Just remember concentrated sweets (sugar) are just one part of the puzzle in a low carb diet. Check labels, those things are everywhere and in almost everything. One thing I did was eliminate as much processed foods as possible.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I have been drinking Arizona Unsweetened tea and I add some lemon to it. I also drink Fresca Original, Black Cherry and Peach versions.