Microwave discussion from the pressure cooker thread.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Here are the microwave posts from the pressure cooker thread. They seem to be a topic of interest and they can get more attention this way.

If there are objections, plese either pM me, one of the other moderatore, doc or report the post.

Thank You

Andy

thegrindre

Re: Pressure cooker issue I have

I don't own a microwave so that doesn't interest me.
I think a pressure cooker would be far better then a microwave for cooking.
I know a microwave is an expensive way to rewarm a cup of coffee or tea which I understand they are mostly used for.

Shermie

Site Supporter

I don't own a microwave so that doesn't interest me.
I think a pressure cooker would be far better then a microwave for cooking.
I know a microwave is an expensive way to rewarm a cup of coffee or tea.

I thought you had one.

You can get them very cheap if you don't want to spend a whole lot of money for one. But then again, the wattage level might be low, prompting slower cooking times. :readytoeat:

thegrindre

I've never eaten anything that was cooked in one that was worth eating.
I find no use for a microwave. It's nothing more then an expensive warming device, IMO.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

You can get microwaves really cheap nowadays. I've seen them for as low as $25. I don't cook much in mine but they are great for reheating leftovers, melting butter or chocolate, making a quick "baked" potato, cooking bacon if you are in a hurry and don't want a mess. They work great for disinfecting and deodorizing your kitchen sponges and plastic cutting boards. You can decrystallize honey in them, soften brown sugar and even roast garlic in about 8 minutes. Take a lemon or lime from the fridge and zap it for 20 seconds and you'll get a lot more juice out of it. They have a lot of great uses.

thegrindre

Thanks, Mama but my stove does most all that, too. Being retired, I'm in no hurry, I can wait a few minutes longer.
Heating and warming seems to be its main usage. My stove and oven does that, too.
My oven will bake a potato with a crispy skin. A microwave won't. I like a crispy skin with lots of butter on it.
I don't use plastic cutting boards. They are hazardous to your health. I use bamboo.
I bake my bacon in the oven. I don't eat fried foods.
My butter melts on my stove top just fine.
Honey in a pot of water on low heat will de-crystallize.
I hate to admit this one but I buy my lemon and lime juices in a bottle. It's far more stable for cooking. It always tastes the same. I hate a lemon pie that came out too sweet or tart cuz of the lemons.
Just can't justify spending $25 for a warming device when I have a stove that does the same thing.

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter

Thanks, Mama but my stove does most all that, too. Being retired, I'm in no hurry, I can wait a few minutes longer.
Heating and warming seems to be its main usage. My stove and oven does that, too.
My oven will bake a potato with a crispy skin. A microwave won't. I like a crispy skin with lots of butter on it.
I don't use plastic cutting boards. They are hazardous to your health. I use bamboo.
I bake my bacon in the oven. I don't eat fried foods.
My butter melts on my stove top just fine.
Honey in a pot of water on low heat will de-crystallize.
I hate to admit this one but I buy my lemon and lime juices in a bottle. It's far more stable for cooking. It always tastes the same. I hate a lemon pie that came out too sweet or tart cuz of the lemons.
Just can't justify spending $25 for a warming device when I have a stove that does the same thing.

Mama, I use my microwave oven for most of those things.

Grindre;

Electronic microwaves can also be used as a kitchen timer to time the cooking progress of most foods.

My main cutting board is a plastic one. Bought a wooden one, but I don't use it bebcause I don't want it to scratch up the surface. It's to pretty to use for cutting up things!

With a microwave, you can warm food in the same dish that you eat it from. The stove has you using pots & pans, which means more to clean up afterwards.

On a few occasions, I've roasted a whole turkey in the microve oven. Most frozen foods are warmed in the microwave.

I had a smaller one that I used for 13 years. Sadly, the glass window on the door had cracked, and since it had to be replaced, I just went on and bought a much larger and fancier Kenmore one in black to match the color of the fridge and dishwasher. It also has a built-in toaster.

I've never had any trouble with it. It has served me well, and it continues to do so. :weber:

thegrindre

Sorry, I'm not convinced. Spending a little time washing dishes is not a reason to spend $25 for a warming device, IMO.

I found that 50% more people got sick using a plastic cutting board then a wood or bamboo one.
Something to think about... :)

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

Sherman said:
My main cutting board is a plastic one. Bought a wooden one, but I don't use it bebcause I don't want it to scratch up the surface. It's to pretty to use for cutting up things!

Oh Gosh! Spring is coming and I am getting ready for another season of street fairs. So many people pass my cutting boards by for this reason. Please Sherm, I am not being critical. I tell people that there are a couple choices. Use one side to cut, use the other side for display. I also make plain ones to cut on and use the decorative ones for serving. Sorry to be off topic.

So far as the micro wave, Mama - I never thought of the sanitizing idea - Thank You. My microwave is that device on the other side of the kitchen that I use for several little things. Mine has a turbo defroster. I have no idea how that works, but, it seems to defrost frozen meat quickly without partially cooking it. "TheGrindre" I can see that would not help you much, however, I typically get home between five and seven PM and need a meal. It defrosts, so that I can have an entirely home cooked meal in lots less time. It is a great "Kick Starter" for baked potatoes. I do cook butternut and spaghetti squash there. I keep individually bagged sweet sausage in the freezer. Protein snacks seem to stay longer than sweets, etc. I just defrost a sausage, then cut it long way and nuke it on low power and snack on it.

I won't say that it gets an awful lot of use beyond that, it is just handy. It certainly gets more use than my food processor that I just HAD to have. LOL Oh Yeah! Since I hate both waste and cold coffee it rewarms a cup nicely for me.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

You can get microwaves really cheap nowadays. I've seen them for as low as $25. I don't cook much in mine but they are great for reheating leftovers, melting butter or chocolate, making a quick "baked" potato, cooking bacon if you are in a hurry and don't want a mess. They work great for disinfecting and deodorizing your kitchen sponges and plastic cutting boards. You can decrystallize honey in them, soften brown sugar and even roast garlic in about 8 minutes. Take a lemon or lime from the fridge and zap it for 20 seconds and you'll get a lot more juice out of it. They have a lot of great uses.

How do you do that.....wet or dry?, full power ?, how long?

You'd have to pry my fingers from my microwave to get it from me, but I have no use for a pressure cooker.

thegrindre

I've never understood why one has to defrost anything. I've never defrosted anything in over 40 years once I learned you didn't have to, back in the '70's.
Large things, such as whole turkeys and chickens or large hunks of meat, maybe but everyday meals just pop right in the oven and cook just fine.
I bake, broil or steam everything so there's no need to waste time defrosting anything that I know of.
My 3/4 inch pork chops and chicken breasts broil up just fine frozen.
My vegetables steam up great frozen, too.

Shermie

Site Supporter

Sorry, I'm not convinced. Spending a little time washing dishes is not a reason to spend $25 for a warming device, IMO.

I found that 50% more people got sick using a plastic cutting board then a wood or bamboo one.
Something to think about... :)

I've been using my plastic cutting board for years now, and have never gotten sick at all from any type of cross contamination, pathogens, bacteria, germs or anything else.

Because I make sure that the board is squeaky clean and free from germs, cross contamination and food poisoning by washing and rinsing it in hot water, then spraying it with a sanitizing spray, such as Clorox Anywhere between uses.

I then let it air dry to help preclude any mildew that might result from it being wet & crowded up between things like sheet pans and baking pans.

I keep it in a virtical position to help drain the water off and to keep it bone dry. :bbq:

thegrindre

Sherm, I'll bet very few take those precautions with their cutting boards.
You are probably one of the few and is why the statistics are as I've stated.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Sherm - I left that one in the other thread as is is a pressure cooker.

I moved these posts as it is good and interesting material that will get more attention with a more descriptive title.

No problems whatsoever.

High Cheese

Saucier
You can put sponges and plastic cutting boards in the dishwasher too. Personally, I toss the sponge when the rough side gets worn out. The cutting board gets tossed in the dishwasher at least twice a week.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The sponges can't be left in the microwave too long, or they'll dry out and start to burn!