My new foodsaver

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
As some of you may recall, I ruined my old foodsaver, one of the original models. I tried to fix it, but, was not successful. It just plain drank too much water.

Anyway, I ordered a new one. A model 3840. One of the most helpful things that came with it is the instruction manual. Even though, I do not often read them. I did this time.

From what I read lots of folks have killed their foodsavers and they seem to have done a bunch of post mortems.

The vacuum chamber now has a liquid sensor that shuts the unit off it it sees too much water.

They caution you to partially freeze wet food before sealing, or put a folded paper towel in the bag to act as a dam and keep it from taking a drink.

The unit is a stand up unit which has made it a usable counter top appliance. This has resulted im more things being sealed and saved, since I do not have to get the unit out and put it away every time.

It came with a marinating canister, which I have successfully used to marinate salmon, did a great job and fast too. It sores a roll of bags so, it is always ready to go.

It allows you to instantly stop vacuuming and go immediately to seal. this alone would have saved the old one.

It also allows you to just seal without vacuum.

It seals more than just foodsaver bags. Having company opened a new bag of chips and didn't eat them all? The Foodsaver will reseal the bag of chips.

Foodsaver now makes zipper bags, like the old Handy Vac bags. Foodsaber makes an attachment to evacuate them. I do not have this attachment, but, I am wondering is it will seal other brands of bags as well.

Obviously, time in service will tell the tale. I am very happy so far.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, if you still feel the same way in 2 years, tell me and I'll get yet another one.

My first one lasted 5 years or so, the next two lasted less than two years each. Then I bought one on ebay, an older model that was "used once". Lasted about 9 months before a latch broke and the auto shut-off was gone (I can still seal manually if I mess with it).

Still waiting for someone to make a better one.

Lee

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
I share your concerns Lee. There is a thread started by Sherman and in there are few other models from the mega bucks model to some reasonably priced ones.

Time will tell.

Yeah, in THAT one, I mainly talked about gettijng a different brand other than those FoodSaver units.

Adillo, not trying to burst your bubble, but I think I had one with that model # that had failed prematurely. But I wish you luck on the new one. :chef:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Well, it is some time later and I think that a follow up is in order.

My unit has performed flawlessly. I am using it much more than the older model, because, I do not have to "Get it out". It is a vertical unit and it sits on the back of the counter. Just turn it on and go. I realized when I destroyed my old one that liquid kills vacuum pumps instantly. There is no recovery. Someone suggested putting the bag in the freezer unsealed and "par freezing". good idea, I am too forgetful. I fold a paper towel and put it in the bag. As vacuum is applied and liquid heads toward the vacuum pump the towel stops it. I barely have to clean the unit. Another point, all the parts that can get wet or dirty are removable for cleaning. I have also found other really good uses. Since it is handy ther on the counter, I use it to reseal potato chip / snack food bags, cereal bags, Brown sugar, rasins, etc... They keep much better.

Funny foodsaver story. I have an old watch cap, knitted, that is kind of sentimental. DW doesn't like it because it is a bit scrody. Her latest attempt to get rid of it was that it was going to spread bad things to the rest of the hats. I vacuum sealed the hat and put it back in the closet.

Yup! I like my foodsaver and it is holding up so far.

chilefarmer

I love my food saver, would not be without one. Bags can be bought off ebay, much cheaper. If you go to the foodsaver site and sign up for there news letter. You will receive special deals. CF

Shermie

Site Supporter
Well, it is some time later and I think that a follow up is in order.

My unit has performed flawlessly. I am using it much more than the older model, because, I do not have to "Get it out". It is a vertical unit and it sits on the back of the counter. Just turn it on and go. I realized when I destroyed my old one that liquid kills vacuum pumps instantly. There is no recovery. Someone suggested putting the bag in the freezer unsealed and "par freezing". good idea, I am too forgetful. I fold a paper towel and put it in the bag. As vacuum is applied and liquid heads toward the vacuum pump the towel stops it. I barely have to clean the unit. Another point, all the parts that can get wet or dirty are removable for cleaning. I have also found other really good uses. Since it is handy ther on the counter, I use it to reseal potato chip / snack food bags, cereal bags, Brown sugar, rasins, etc... They keep much better.

Funny foodsaver story. I have an old watch cap, knitted, that is kind of sentimental. DW doesn't like it because it is a bit scrody. Her latest attempt to get rid of it was that it was going to spread bad things to the rest of the hats. I vacuum sealed the hat and put it back in the closet.

Yup! I like my foodsaver and it is holding up so far.

Yes Audillo303, the trick IS to keep any liquids from being sucked out of the bag(s) and getting into the pump, which could ruin it, like you said.

And yes, if you pre-freeze the product solid first, that definitely eliminates that problem with the liquids being sucked out into the machine's pump.

I usually freeze all of my meats solid first, except for ckicken pieces, especially the drumsticks, which tend to leave air between them.

Those, I wrap in plastic wrap real tight until they are close together and no spaces are between them. When they are partially frozen, then I vacuum seal them. No spaces, no air between the meat, no drying out or food spoilage in those areas!!

Boneless chiocken breasts are a cinch, once pre-frozen! Fresh & smoked pork shoulders, as well as whole frozen turkeys are usually already vacuum sealed before buying, so I just leave those as is.

But I'm glad that your FoodSavfer machine is working well for you, as they are for 2 friends of mine, who swear by them. I have the Vacmaster machine, had it for about 3 years now, and it is STILL going strong as ever!! A bit noisier than the FoodSaver units, but it does the job, and that is all I care about.

Here it is below. :bbq3:

Attachments

• Vacmaster Pro 130.jpg
    Vacmaster Pro 130.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Doing the job is for sure what it is about and the significant amounts of cash that can be saved by not wastimg food. Normally, if i cut an onion and do not use it all, i dump it. Now, i seal it and it is good for at least a week.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL!!! Well, I guess I have to put my money where my mouth is, and get a new one!

Thanks for the update, Andy - almost 2 years to the day! LOL!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lee, I do not think you will be disappointed. I put the paper towel in almost every bag I seal and it stops the liquid. To me that is the key. I do not have a hope of being able to remember to par freeze first. It is a good technique as well though.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Doing the job is for sure what it is about and the significant amounts of cash that can be saved by not wastimg food. Normally, if i cut an onion and do not use it all, i dump it. Now, i seal it and it is good for at least a week.

I make so many things with onions that now, they don't have time to sit in the fridge and spoil.

There's a 1/2 onion in there now in a Ziploc vacuum seal bag, but I'm pretty certain that it'll get used up sometime this week.

Squirrel

Mess Cook
Site Supporter
Love the tip about sealing a bag of chips, I never thought of that. I have the 3485 model that I got from Sam's Club about 2 years ago.

I do the paper towel thing and it does work well, as well as wrapping the meat tightly in plastic wrap, getting blood all in the machine makes me wanna hurl. :puke1:

The only problem I've had so far is I can't seem to do more than say 8-10 packages at a time before it stops vacuuming. I have to let it rest. That's a pain when I'm putting up my pecans, but I'll live.

I just ordered a sous vide water bath oven and I'll be using the FoodSaver for that so I hope it holds up. I wish I could justify a commercial one, but then I'd have to vacuum seal everything in my house. Don't think the kittaays would find it as humorous as I do though. Here's are my two girls, I taunt them regularly.

IMG_7015copy.jpg

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's FoodSaver's latest thing in marinating and vacuum sealing foods.

No thanks. Not interested!! :neutral:

Attachments

• FoodSaver Marinater Vacuum Sealer..jpg 2.jpg
    FoodSaver Marinater Vacuum Sealer..jpg 2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 161
  • FoodSaver Marinater Vacuum Sealer..jpg 3.jpg
    FoodSaver Marinater Vacuum Sealer..jpg 3.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 140
Last edited: