I think I'm going over the edge.....

AllenOK

I haven't bought an Apex Edge Pro yet (probably won't until next year). However, I have taken some of what you pro knife sharpeners have mentioned to heart.

Lately, when I've been sharpening a blade, I keep working with one stone (freehand) until I raise and then remove a burr.

A few weeks ago, I sharpened many of my work knives with the kitchen's set of stones (nothing special). I was able to raise and remove a burr with all three stones. Yes, I shaved quite a bit of hair off my arm with the resulting razor-sharp edge. Since I'm freehanding it, and don't have waterstones, I won't even attempt to call this edge "scary-" or "spooky-"sharp. It's still one of the sharpest edges I've produced.

Last week, we had our club's Invitational Tourney. One of those days, I had to dice a bunch of onions, as well as julienne a bunch. I think I ended up cutting over 30 onions in about 20 minutes.

I think I found a Zen-like state while cutting those onions. I fear I may be going over the edge......

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I think I found a Zen-like state while cutting those onions. I fear I may be going over the edge......

Oh oh. All the signs are there. Another one hooked, er, converted.

Allen, as long as you've started free handing, you might want to consider practicing that particular skill, purchasing a few stones, and perhaps not buy an EdgePro. Although the EP is a marvelous product it really isn't necessary. I use mine for only two things, sharpening my 220x110mm Chuckabocho (J veggie cleaver) and adding 15 to 20 degree micro bevels on friends' German knives so the soft steel edges don't roll easily. The few times I put micro bevels on personal knives I do it free hand.