Let's Talk ... Soups and Stews

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
The cool weather is here and time to turn the clocks back.

It's time to start cooking hearty soups and stews (and chili). Whether it be beef, chicken, lamb, seafood, vegetable etc.. Any and all varieties are welcome.

Please share your favorites, tips, techniques and secrets to success with soups and stews (and chili) . Plus any favorite "go with" dishes such as biscuits, breads etc.

Pictures and recipes are optional but always welcome.

lets_talk_soups_stews.jpg

Last edited:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Funny you should start this thread just when I was given a ham bone with lots of meat on it. Last night I cut all the meat off the bone and cut it into small pieces that would be easy to eat, then put it in the fridge. Before I went to bed I mixed up a loaf of regular no-knead dough and put it in a plastic bag, and soaked 1/2# each of split peas and pinto beans.

I was up early this morning, so I got out the soup pan and put 3T of butter to begin melting. I diced half of a large sweet onion, cut up three carrots and two celery stalks, and let them all sweat for about 15 minutes. I drained the beans and threw them in along with the diced ham and the ham bone, and topped it off with one 48 oz can of chicken stock and 16 oz of water. I also added a 28oz can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. I seasoned it with 1T fresh ground black pepper and 2T of dried sweet basil. After 1-1/2 hours I added 1/2C of pearled barley and allowed it to simmer for another 30 minutes. No adjustments to the seasonings were required, as the smoked ham added just the right amount of salt. While the soup was cooking I baked the bread and have it cooling right now.

Attachments

• Ham Bean and Barley soup 110313.jpg
    Ham Bean and Barley soup 110313.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 456
  • Ham Bean and Barley soup 110313-1.jpg
    Ham Bean and Barley soup 110313-1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 504
  • No Knead 110313.jpg
    No Knead 110313.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 506

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooooo! Look at all that luscious ham in there! And barley is my favorite starch for soup!

Wonderful, Joe!

Lee

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Thanks! I also made some hot dog buns using my egg bread recipe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 313

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Barley is another one of those things that I've never tried...going on my list along with lentils.

I made a creamy cauliflower soup last night and used my new bowls. They're almost too big :ohmy:. I made this the same way as the other cauliflower soup that I posted earlier (chicken stock, white sauce, etc.) except I added some sauteed celery, onion, and carrots. The cheese this time was a mixture of Velveeta and cheddar.

CreamyCauliflowerSoup.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
How about some nice hot Veggie Beef & Barley Soup?

Attachments

• 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 064.jpg
    064.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 293

Shermie

Site Supporter
So wholesome & Luscious!! :eating2:

Attachments

• 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 301
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 293

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's some Lima Bean Soup. :eating2:

Attachments

• Lima Bean Soup.jpg
    Lima Bean Soup.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 304

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Must be a soup kind of day. After I made my soup this morning, our daughter invited us to dinner. DW asked what we could bring, and DD said "BREAD!" Duh...what else??:yum: I asked what was on the menu, and she said "Pasta e Fagioli." Everyone had two big helpings, DD#2 brought a salad and scratch brownies, and even the kids had big helpings of soup.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sherm, your soups look terrific!

Cooksie, I wish I had a bowl of your cauliflower soup right now! And I just finished dinner!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I came across a "new-to-me" soup that sounds pretty good - Beer Cheese Brat Soup. From what I've read, the original recipe came from a 2008 Penzey's catalog. There are now probably about 200 versions of it floating around the internet :D.

I've still got that Reuben Soup on my mind too.

..."Plus any favorite "go with" dishes such as biscuits, breads etc."...

I'm thinking soft pretzels, like the ones that Q-Sis and JoeV made, would be good with the Beer Cheese Brat Soup.

Cheese straws would be a good accompaniment for just about any kind of cream soup.

Last edited:

Johnny West

I need to come up with something special this year. My church does a soup kitchen for homeless and those in need of a meal on Weds. I've made chili, clam chowder, and minestrone. I need to come up with something new. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I need to come up with something special this year. My church does a soup kitchen for homeless and those in need of a meal on Weds. I've made chili, clam chowder, and minestrone. I need to come up with something new. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Potato and ham soup, navy bean and ham soup, tortilla soup, white chicken chili

If they're open to casseroles or one pot meals instead of soup...chicken spaghetti, baked spaghetti, lasagna, goulash

I'd do white chicken chili.

Johnny West

The ham and bean soup sounds good. It's usually is over 40 people and could use ground ham and pork like a ham chili. I like the idea. Thanks.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm thinking about trying some artichoke soup. It sounds good to me, and I don't think I've ever tried it.

I've looked around. Emeril has one on his website for artichoke soup topped with poached oysters. I can't get fresh oysters right now, so I'm thinking about using shrimp instead.

Allrecipes has some maybe recipes that I'll try.

Johnny West

I'm thinking about trying some artichoke soup. It sounds good to me, and I don't think I've ever tried it.

I've looked around. Emeril has one on his website for artichoke soup topped with poached oysters. I can't get fresh oysters right now, so I'm thinking about using shrimp instead.

Allrecipes has some maybe recipes that I'll try.
And here I am with a refer full of oysters….