Adventures in Deep Frying

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've been hearing of all kinds of things being deep fried. I finally deep fried a turkey. Injected it with cajun stuff and boy was it good.

Last year I tried deep fried oreo's. ummmmmmmm sinfully good.

I've heard of deep fried twinkies. I bet those are tasty.

Do you experiment with deep frying at home? What are some of the more unusual things you've deep fried and what are the end results? Good or yuck?

smoke king

Banned
Nothing "unusual" by todays standards! I did a couple of turkeys a year for awhile, finally cleaning the darn thing became more trouble than it was worth for me.

We've done Oreos, Twinkies, and Milky Ways (any candy bar would work I imagine) and all taste so good that there is no doubt that they must be really bad for you! :lol:

And when we're in Las Vegas, theres a little brewpub called the "Triple 7" at Main Street Station that serves a deep fried wedge of Cheesecake. Sooooooooooooooo good!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I didn't make this, but I ate it in a restaurant..

When I lived in North Carolina, I had deep fried macaroni & cheese. They cut the mac & cheese into squares, battered & fried.

I tried it once; it was weird; don't think I'd try it again.

K

Kimchee

Pickles are the only "off the wall" thing I deep fry.
Saw a battered and deep fried cheeseburger on Diners, Drive-Ins and Drives once,
and really want to try one but am not willing to fry one!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I deep fry mushrooms regularly. Once, in my turkey fryer, I deep fried a bone-in pork rib roast. It was disappointing. A little on the chewy side, and not much flavor.

Oh, and deep fried biscuits are good.

Lefty

Yank
I like to use my beer batter to fry normal things like chicken, fish, onion rings and those are all great. I have gone to the far side a few times and tried watermelon which was great but I had to put flour on it to take the beer batter. Tomatoes are a favorite of mine, but I pat them dry and flour them also so they will take the batter. Cuckumbers are also nice.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thick slices of green tomatoes, zucchini, and chimichangas come to mind.

I've never done the twinkies or sweets deep fried.

Ronjohn

For adventures in deep frying, nothing beats the Texas State fair.

Although they may have gone too far this time:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32665106/ns/today-today_food_and_wine/
Move over, Twinkies: Deep-fried butter is here
Deep%20Fried%20Butter.h2.jpg

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This restaurant likes to deep fry bacon, chicken fried that is...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU[/ame]