Golumpki (stuffed cabbage)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made some of my family's recipe for Christmas Eve dinner last night. I'm kind of new at it, and they were okay.

Next year they'll be better!

Lee
Golumpki.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made a dozen golumpki yesterday to freeze for Christmas week.

I make them much like homecook does, but add chopped rehydrated dried mushrooms, omit the egg (the meat is looser), and omit the tomato sauce (my Polish family did a lot of things differently from most others).

We do put our rolls on top of the chopped extra cabbage, but we top the rolls with slices of raw salt pork.

Bake at 350 for an hour, covered, then under the broiler for a few minutes.

Lee
Golumpki 1- cabbage leaves.JPG
Golumpki 2 - meat and rice mixture.JPG
Golumpki 3 - ready to roll up.JPG
Golumpki 4 - bed of cabbage.JPG
Golumpki 5 - raw.JPG
Golumpki - 6 cooked.JPG

Last edited:

Leni

My mother in law made close to the same recipe. The meat is the same. She made the rolls and then after placing them in a baking dish she'd top with crushed tomatoes and then sauerkraut with the liquid from the jar. She'd add a layer of sliced kielbasa which is a Polish sausage. The whole thing would go into the oven at 350 until done. I see no reason why you couldn't do it in the crock pot. I like to add a small can of tomato sauce.

I serve it with boiled potatoes that I smash with a fork and top with butter. Green beans or a salad complete the sides. Corn is also good.

Johnny West

Yesterday was cabbage day. We had a head of savory cabbage which the mrs used to make golumpki. Instead of rice she used chopped cabbage to mix with the meat, et al. The meat was a mix of hamburger and fresh ground pork tenderloin she ground with the mixer attachment. I'm not sure what recipe she used but it was excellent.
#Cabbage Rolls.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those look so perfect, John!

Looks as if she used Napa cabbage - good idea!

Lee

Johnny West

This cabbage was savory and very similar to Napa.

This is so good I don't know why I don't do it more often.

Johnny West

This just went down - cabbage casserole or golumpki without the rolls. It's layered like a lasagna. A friend's DIL is from Hungery and this is the way she does it. I used wild rice instead of regular rice so it's paleo/Whole30 compliant.

My recipe for this is a combination homecook's and several I looked at on the net. I added paprika which none mentioned.
#Cabbage Casserole.jpg

Johnny West

This came out a little dry but was still tasty. The wild rice sucked all the juice out of the dish so next rime I'll use less wild rice and more sauce. I'll also add some chopped cabbage to the mix. The flavors were there and quite good.
#Big John's Suprise.jpg

Johnny West

This the golumpki my wife made the other day. One pan was vegetarian. She used a Jewish recipe and the sauce called for one cup sugar and half cup brown sugar. She cut back to half brown, half white and it was still to sweet. She dumped some of it out and added two cans of tomato sauce and it was still pretty sweet but not bad. I never put sugar in mine. Hers also and a slice up lemon and cinnamon which I liked. I added Louisiana Hot Sauce and parmesan cheese at the table and it helped.

Vegitarian
#########Golumpki Veg.jpeg
#########Golumpki I.jpeg
#########Golumpki II.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, lesson learned. Always good to experiment!

Lee