Kielbasa heated in oven

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My Polish relatives always cooked/heated kielbasa this way.

After the neighborhood butcher retired, we bought First Prize brand (western Mass.) I can't find that in the Boston area, so I got a Boar's Head kielbasa. DELICIOUS!!

Just put the link in a shallow pan. Put water in the pan to go halfway up the sausage. Bake at 350 for a half hour, then flip the sausage over and cook another half hour.

Slice in chunks on a bias. Serve with hard boiled eggs, horseradish, mustard, bread, ham and asparagus for Easter.

This is also great sliced thinner for appetizers. And it's spectacular on the grill, too!

Lee

easterkielbasa.jpg

PanchoHambre

Sub beer for water... drop the hard boiled eggs (that's fear factor sh*t for me) and I'm in love Kielbasa! never tried the oven but sounds like an idea.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Me, too, Pancho. I just don't like eggs. But sausage is some of the best stuff on earth!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not like eggs???? You guys are strange.

Love ya, but .... strange.

Lee

PanchoHambre

Never claimed normal LOL! I like eggs as long as they are quite scrambled and very dry... runny or hard boiled I just can't do. Those Kielbasy look perfect though.

Are you talking about FRESH Kielbasa? Because an HOUR to cook smoked Kielbasa - which is already cooked when you buy it is unmentionable. Goodness, all you need to do is heat it through. I can't imagine even remotely cooking smoked kielbasa for an hour.

I either pan-simmer it with pierogies (& sometimes sauerkraut) for maybe 30 minutes tops. Or slice & fry it in a grill pan for maybe 3-4 minutes per side. For the grill whole - maybe 5 minutes per side.

Braising for an hour? Not in this Czech/Ukranian household!

Please post what type of kielbasa you're talking about, because I'd hate to see someone buy a ring of Hillshire Farm smoked kielbasa & boil it to h*ll for an hour.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Please post what type of kielbasa you're talking about, because I'd hate to see someone buy a ring of Hillshire Farm smoked kielbasa & boil it to h*ll for an hour.

Goodness, BC! Such vehemence, LOL!

It was fresh.

Because having a Hillshire Farm smoked kielbasa in this Polish household would be "unmentionable". LOL! :wink:

Lee

Actually, the Hillshire Farms products really aren't bad for what they are. And I come from a 100% Czech household who definitely know their sausages ("Jaternice" or "Jelita" anyone??).

As it is, my husband doesn't eat any red-meat products, so a ring of Hillshire Farms Turkey Kielbasa is always in my freezer for an impromptu meal with pierogis or sliced & grilled with good mustard & horseradish for a starter or snack. And they've recently come out with a Chicken Kielbasa that we tried last night, & it was quite good - a little lighter than their turkey version.

Again - I'm not saying it will ever even remotely take the place of the real thing, but it's a decent tasty substitutute.:smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I took a trip to the Berkshires a couple of weeks ago and visited places where I spent so much time with the Polish side of my family.

One thing I HAD to do was to stop in to the Big Y supermarket to pick up some Blue Seal brand kielbasa, which my Aunt Stella swore by and which we always had. It's made in Chickopee, MA. ,"the kielbasa capital of the world".

Truly, this is superior kielbasa! I baked one ring tonight to take to my father's house tomorrow. Man! My house smelled spectacular! I wanted to dive into that thing, and it took all my will power not to take a little taste!

Lee

Attachments

• Kielbasa, Blue Seal.JPG
    Kielbasa, Blue Seal.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my, is k'bossy delicious. i get my own from this 'lil family-owned mkt. now. oh, man. they make that themselves. i fry any kind crisp, then pair w/ bagged 'kraut, mustard & hearty bread to put the k'bossy in. otherwise, i'll run into 'da bar & get a sammich. double mustard.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Don't think I could stare at it without trying some. Any kind of sausage goes quick around here. I love the leftover piece or 2 for breakfast with eggs and toast.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love the leftover piece or 2 for breakfast with eggs and toast.

Oh, me too, MM!

My grandmother would dice it up, fry the chunks a little, and mix it with scrambled eggs, for my brother and me. Wonderful!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've always done it on the cooktop, never even thought about doing it in the oven. Great idea! Sometimes I like to slit it lengthwise and brown it up a bit after cooking it in the water.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got another Boar's Head kielbasa for Easter, and I cooked it the same way as always (see first post).

Here are a couple more photos: right out of the package, then baked for an hour.

SO good!

Served with colored eggs, natch!

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_3397.JPG
    IMG_3397.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_3396.JPG
    IMG_3396.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 460

pharmerphil

Looks Good! We slice it on the bias, and pan fry...adding a heapin' helpin' of our homemade sauerkraut...
Not Gourmet Delight...just a old fashion stick to your ribs meal...we have it about once a month

Leni

My Hungarian MIL would make stuffed cabbage with sauerkraut and diced tomatoes. Then she topped it with slices of kiebasa. It went into the oven until browned.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My Hungarian MIL would make stuffed cabbage with sauerkraut and diced tomatoes. Then she topped it with slices of kiebasa. It went into the oven until browned.

My grandmother was also Hungarian and made the same type of dish also using kiebasa. Loved it too. :readytoeat:

Leni

The nice thing about this dish is that there are plenty of leftovers. It is even better the next day.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Leni, the stuffed cabbage was stuffed with sauerkraut and tomatoes?

Lee

Leni

No. It is stuffed with ground meat that is seasoned. The cabbage rolls are in a single layer. The kielbasa is sliced into bite sized pieces and is put on top of the rolls. She then put sauerkraut on top of that and then the crushed tomatoes.

I nuke the cabbage to soften the leaves and slice the thick ribs so that they are thin and easy to roll. I don't remember what she put into the meat but I do sort of a meatloaf mixture. I have a Corning roaster pan that is quite large that I use for this dish.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I use 1 part beef to 1/2 part pork and some times veal. I do the same with meatloaf but works great with stuffed cabbage or bell peppers. However I will add spices/herbs for the taste I want and of course sometime fillers such as rice in the case of a stuff bell pepper. I have also used season bread crumbs etc.