HoneyBell / Pecans

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we were visiting our offspring a while back - Daytona Beach. FL area.

at the I-95 Exit we encountered a roadside stand. according to the people there, third generation. not a fly-by-night, here now, gone later operation.

bought - quite by circumstance - HoneyBells and paper shell pecans. the 'staff / owners / n-generation' folks on site were (a) very knowledgeable (b) very honest (c) very helpfu

fwiw, HoneyBell are a tangerine variety of the "Florida Indian River Inlet" invention. that cross is accurately / historically local to the Indian River area. other area all the way out to California attempt to capitalize on the "HoneyBell" name - tried them - no, ain't nearly not even close to 'the same.' a search engine will turn up more than you might want to know about "honeybell"

my point:
these people have boots-on-the-ground relationships with the honeybell world. they do not do BS.

paper shell pecan - they have sources. they have the good stuff. the honeybell and fresh crop pecan season are good mates

they ship. reasonable ship fee.
no, they are not dirt cheap. if you want really poor quality at not cheep price, order from Harry&David

1-386-615-0320.

no relates - just a really happy customer

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
I bought a couple of honeybells in the grocery a couple of weeks ago. They are great.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
these arrived today - DW says they are super juicy and delicious - good year it seems!
IMG_1132.jpg

also got new crop of papershell pecans. if you've not had 'fresh' pecans - these are a real treat.
IMG_1134.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I've never heard of paper shell pecans, C-man.

My nuts of choice are Turkish pistachios, which I order on Amazon.

I would like to try a small amount of the pecans, on your recommendation. What think of this site? (Edited to say that I can't get the Nuts.com link to work - they are selling papershell pecans for $7.99 a pound).

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter

I would like to try a small amount of the pecans, on your recommendation. What think of this site? (Edited to say that I can't get the Nuts.com link to work - they are selling papershell pecans for $7.99 a pound).

Lee

They are much easier to shell. We used to always get some when traveling back and forth between FL and KY.

What is the citrus CM? They don't have the Honeybell bump.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
no clue - some sites deal in top notch merchandise and others in top notch deception.
Citrus World (name was on a label) will sell you a pound - my 6# came in six one pound bags. for mail orders they use 386-615-0324 - the other number is the store itself.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

Lee

The paper shell varieties have a thinner shell than the natives. They are larger and are a little drier than the natives.