What Are Your Hobbies/Interests?

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Re: What Are Your Hobbies?

I've been in the DIY mode lately. I just finished painting a dresser (3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint), which was actually pretty relaxing. I'm getting ready to drag out the sewing machine and see if I can do some kind of window treatment for the computer room. Yesterday I put in a new shower head.....not so much fun, but love the new one.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Hmmmmmm...cooking IS one of my hobbies, and I don't look at it as work. When not cookng or baking, I play with my ham radios, build antennas, fish, target shoot and volunteer at our church. Other than that, I just veg out.

K

Kimchee

I've been in DIY mode too!
The house we bought needed some stuff...
Made a medicine cabinet, installed many ceiling lights, added garage lighting,
painted 3 bathrooms, installing gutter guards slowly, added some kitchen pantry
shelves...

Do I do this as a hobby? NO! But I am finding quite a bit of satisfaction in it!

Otherwise, some stuff I like to do is:
read, hike, attend auctions, kayak, walk my dogs (see hike),
play Guitar Hero with my wife, and (gasp!) go shopping with my wife.
(We have a great weekly lunch date at Costco!) :)

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
My hobbies have come to a crawl, as I have been slowed down significantly in the past year and a half,BUT, photography I still love though I am not as active as I was. Been doing a bit of writing too. Nothing I am sure will ever get shared, but I have found it to be good for me and my head. Lastly, painting. Very therapeutic and I can stop and come back to it anytime I want.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Woodworking - Making cutting boards, pens, etc. Home improvement. Helping my DW with her soapmaking venture.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Boating is my hobby that takes up the majority of my off work time. I also love tractoring. I have a 30hp 4wd tractor that helps me tame our 48 acres. It is work, but it's work that I enjoy. I also enjoy riding ATV's and getting out in the woods. And I enjoy guns and shooting. Since our current president took office I have invested more in guns as I was afraid that right might soon disappear. So, earlier this year I used the tractor to help me build a small shooting range, and I use the ATV to get to it and do some shooting. Got three of my hobbies closely tied into this activity.

Now I am in the process of adding a bathroom to an unfinished basement. Think I can talk JoeV into traveling a few hours south on I-77 to get er done for me? :eek: :hide2: :yum:

So CC, what are your hobbies?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Now I am in the process of adding a bathroom to an unfinished basement. Think I can talk JoeV into traveling a few hours south on I-77 to get er done for me? :eek: :hide2: :yum:

I finish a lot of projects that husbands start. If you got the money, I'll make the time, but I don't work for peanuts or boat trips on the big muddy down there.:yum:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I finish a lot of projects that husbands start. If you got the money, I'll make the time, but I don't work for peanuts or boat trips on the big muddy down there.:yum:
:yum: and I imagine it's more expensive to finish the job than to start it from the beginning. :yum: I only have peanuts and boat rides to offer, so I'll start the project and let you know if I need you to finish it.

I saw your work in some of the projects you posted and it looks next to none. If I had the cash I'd be setting up an appointment with you for sure.

Gardening (particularly herbs & heirloom vegetables), reading (everything - both fiction & nonfiction), collecting books - particularly cookbooks & gardening books, taking care of all of our critters (horses, dogs, cats, cockatoo, & fish).

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad you mentioned Reading Breezy, I'm a big reader too. Always have a book going. I love the way a good book can take you away.

Yup - always have a book going. Currently - since I love "mob" stuff - I'm reading "Underboss - Sammy The Bul;l Gravano's Story of Live in the Mafia", by Peter Maas. Good stuff. Although after I've read a few chapters I want to change my dinner plans to Italian - lol!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am reading a new to me author. I read one of her books and liked it so I picked up a couple more at a flea market. Karen Robard "Superstition". Interesting book. I thought she might be related to Jason Robard, but I saw in the books notes that she hales from Kentucky, and still lives there.

FireCapt

Spare time is spent as a volunteer firefighter. I'm a Capt. with the local dept.
I've been a firefighter/EMT for almost 28 years now.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey, FireCapt!

What you been cooking lately?

Good to see you again!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've had so many through the years from Ham radio, photography, painting with various media from water colors to the computer, sailing, car racing, motorcycles and now NCOWS.

Yes I know NCOWS will get what? Well it means National Congress of Old West Shootest. We have our last meet of the year tomorrow as a matter of fact. At any rate is one of the cowboy action reinactment groups including guns, dress and customs of a period of history from 1867 to 1899.

Me shooting at the last meet shown below. Our site is http://www.jcrangers.com/ for anyone interested in this as it is a ball.

Attachments

• IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 340
I've had so many through the years...
Me shooting at the last meet shown below. Our site is http://www.jcrangers.com/ for anyone interested in this as it is a ball.

Pssst! Turn around, Joe. We wanna see your face ;-) Cool pic.

Like Joe, I've had many over the years. Depended also on where I lived. Liked the Broadway & off-Broadway shows in NY. Lived near Lincoln Center, & wished I'd seen more ballets. Went to rock concerts in NY & California - saw the stones, Springstein, & so many more.

Love the old classic movies. Taped many of the classics & had a film library. Sewing was another passion. Took pattern making lessons, cranked out about 3 garments a week, sold some, & made samples for a local fabric store. Took a sketching/drawing class at FIT (Fashion Institute of Tech, in NY). Toyed w/ the idea of becoming a designer. Tried to get into the wardrobe dept on the studio lot, but tough union to get into. Also thought about opening a boutique of sorts. Knitting & needlepoint were other favorites.

I'm not a big traveller, but liked getting away & soaking up the sun, Vegas, Palm Springs, visiting San Fran, or packing up a picnic lunch & going to the beach, mountains etc. There are so many sites to see & places to go in Cali, if I live to be 100, I probably won't see them all.

Used to love going out dancing. Haven't been motivated in awhile. Hoping to get my "groove" back.

Last edited:

FooD

My other hobbies include cycling and astronomy.
I'm also constantly in a DIY mode, currently constructing an all concrete 600 sq/ft deck, but would not consider those projects as hobbies. Those just fall into the 'must do' or 'honey do this' category which is never ending when you're a home owner.
I like tools though, and I love collecting old and new optical tools such as transits and hand sighting levels.....I suppose that is a hobby in a way...lol..

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Golf, fishing, and my latest hobby gone wild, calibrating television sets. Something seemingly so simple can be very complicated.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Pssst! Turn around, Joe. We wanna see your face ;-) Cool pic.

Here you go CC. Right off the Johnson County Ranger's web sight. Buzz also took a video of my wife and I but I've lost the link on YouTube to it. New computer recently.

Attachments

• JoeC.jpg
    JoeC.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Here you go CC. Right off the Johnson County Ranger's web sight. Buzz also took a video of my wife and I but I've lost the link on YouTube to it. New computer recently.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM7lYfMaqyg[/ame]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
:)
Thanks Buzz I got it. I have a downloaded copy just lost my favorites folder.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you all for the compliments.

My wife is starting a handmade soap and beauty products business. She intends to do craft shows. She has gotten "juried" for a big show in the area. I plan to make her shaving sets, which she will fill with shaving soap to go along with the razor, brush, stand and shaving mug. The show promoter has asked that I bring some of my wood things as all of her wood crafters have retired. I have always wanted to be able to do this so that we can get adjoining tables and spell each other off for rest breaks. Anyway, we are in a show Nov 20th. I am new to the wood turning, these are my firsts. It is quite captivating. I have been doing cutting boards over a year now. Before that I was a wanna be home remodeler, just for us and helping the family.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you CC - Some of the cutting boards are hard to see go. I made a special pencil for me. It is a very thick lead sketch pencil for woodshop work. It is the only pen that I totally messed up. That one hurt. I have some rather unique pens planned that will be dear.