Goat meat: Let's discuss

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
There isn't a category for Goat, so I put it in the lamb section.

I live in a very international city, and I see more and more goat meat in my local supermarkets.

I have never tried it, but I've heard that it's fairly lean and tastes somewhat like lamb, somewhat like beef. Well, heck, I love them both and goat meat is a LOT cheaper!

So, who has tried it? What are your thoughts? Got any TNT recipes?

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Or as my grandfather used to say muttonie. It is stronger tasting than lamb but not much like beef or other meats. It is different tasting kind of like chicken is to turkey similar but not the same. Some love it other don't and I'm among the if I never have it again it would be fine with me though I don't hate it either. I have had it BBQ that was excellent though so as I say it gets mixed reviews from me. It really depends on how it is cooked, the cut and the quality of the meat.

Lefty

Yank
I have had goat meat when I was very young. It is an alternative to pork in the Spanish areas.

GotGarlic

I've only had it once - in an Indian restaurant, in a curry preparation. I don't remember the flavor being particularly strong, probably because of the curry sauce, but there were lots of bones. I did not enjoy that. The menu didn't say what part of the animal the meat was from, but I don't think I'll try it again unless I buy the meat myself and know what part it's from.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve had it, and as Joe describes, it has a “dark” flavor. Not exactly “gamey” but definitely “dark”. Not really like beef at all really……but somewhat like lamb.

It is lean, and tends to be TOUGH! So you have to be very careful how you cook it. If you treat it like venison, then you’ll be ok.

Most people down here will boil it to tenderize, then finish it in the oven or stove top with a sauce.

Like any tough cut, you can slow smoke it and get good results. Or go low and slow in a covered dish in your oven.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on some goat, but they don’t sell it here. So unless I pester one of the farmers, I’m out of luck.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Actually the last goat I had was with a motorcycle group in Texas called the Bandidos, the president was a good friend of mine. It seems they stole a goat from a local farmer and BBQ it. I must say it was excellent but don't know why perhaps because it was stolen or simply how it was cooked.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Actually the last goat I had was with a motorcycle group in Texas called the Bandidos, the president was a good friend of mine. It seems they stole a goat from a local farmer and BBQ it. I must say it was excellent but don't know why perhaps because it was stolen or simply how it was cooked.

My parents were friends with the Bandidos in Texarkana back in the 70s. They got a trained doberman from them. Interesting stories to say the least.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I ran with their local president for about 10 years and he was a trip to say the least. He died a year after I left Texas when he got into a fight in a bar, being stabbed about 40 times they don't know if that killed him of the fact he ran his motor cycle into a building at 60 mph. He wife (the exact opposite of him) buried him with the bike, a pretty beat up pan head Harley. He was fun to be around but a touch on the crazy side to say the least.

Deelady

I am a BIG fan of goat meat! Only place I know where to get it here is African markets in small frozen quantities and over priced...not at all as I was use to in Cali!
I use to cook alot of Nigerian dishes and we used it alot. It does taste more similar to lamb but the texture to me is more like beef. It can be VERY tender or tough just as beef can be, just depends on how you cook it. Low and slow in soups and stews is how I usually made it.
My two favorite recipes using it was a tomato stew like sauce served over rice, and a soup called pepper soup but that would be using African herbs not always available to most......oh I also put it in what we called curried fried rice. The stew was my absolute favorite though and fairly easy to make although it took a little time.

Let me know if interested :)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I am a BIG fan of goat meat! Only place I know where to get it here is African markets in small frozen quantities and over priced...not at all as I was use to in Cali!
I use to cook alot of Nigerian dishes and we used it alot. It does taste more similar to lamb but the texture to me is more like beef. It can be VERY tender or tough just as beef can be, just depends on how you cook it. Low and slow in soups and stews is how I usually made it.
My two favorite recipes using it was a tomato stew like sauce served over rice, and a soup called pepper soup but that would be using African herbs not always available to most......oh I also put it in what we called curried fried rice. The stew was my absolute favorite though and fairly easy to make although it took a little time.

Let me know if interested :)

I'm interested! Sounds awesome! If I can't goat, I'm failry sure I can use a deer shoulder as the meat. I'd love to try it! :thumb:

K

Kimchee

We've gotten it a couple of times here and made stew type recipes...
it wasn't baaaaaaaad at all!
:)

Deelady

Ok that was cheesy kimchee.....LOL ;) :D

I'll try and post some later today, I think I have one or two still on a forum I belonged to years ago, but the others I need to type out. :)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
So I found out FM, find them on the side of the road sometimes. :shock:
That's so true, Joe. And lots of folks in Texas think of roadkill as aged meat. (Not me - I buy everything at the store and try very hard never to think of where my meat comes from.)

Phiddlechik

Around here, lots and lots of people eat antelope, I guess that would be the closest thing to goat in these parts. I don't like it at all...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That's so true, Joe. And lots of folks in Texas think of roadkill as aged meat. (Not me - I buy everything at the store and try very hard never to think of where my meat comes from.)

So I take it you aren't a fan of sun baked armadillo on a half shell then. :yum:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
So I take it you aren't a fan of sun baked armadillo on a half shell then. :yum:
Ewww - not me. But again, armadillo is very popular with some people. How (and when) it met it's demise isn't of particular importance. Same think with wild boar and feral pig. I saw a deer head laying right on the side of the road last week - the vultures were very happy.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Same with squirrel is but then so is rabbit and both are nothing but rats by another name. Now they do eat rats in some other countries on a regular basis. I've eaten a lot of things in my life that most in the US wouldn't touch with some being very good others are well..... kind of like one might imagine in a bad dream.

CharlieD

I have a negbors from Pakistan, the goat is all they eat. I've had it as shishkebab, it was the best kebab ever. I think it has pretty strong smell, if not handled proparly. Here you can only get if you go to farm. It's pretty cheap, and what's nice id very fresh. Farmer kills, clenas that and cut's it up for as you wish. Good deal.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Goat meat is probably the most eaten meat in most of the middle east really. Even in Turkey it is probably more prevalent than beef for example. Pork being probably the least eaten in that part of the world due to religious beliefs.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Caribean cuisine also uses goat a lot. My mil would pass her unwanted goats to her friend.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes it is common to see goat meats on the menus in Miami also as a lot of Caribbean cuisine is served there. It is also served in Europe also as well as parts of Spain and Morocco. It really isn't that uncommon here in the US either especially in some parts of the country.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dee, I would love to have your tomato-goat stew recipe!

Charlie, the shish kebab idea intrigues me, too, but I'm not sure the cut I bought would be suitable, especially since Keltin says it tends to be tough.

I'd be willing to give it a go, though!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
For kebabs think marinate for tenderizing them long before putting them on a skewer.

Deelady

Heres the stew Qsis :) Let me know if I didnt explain something clearly....

Nigerian Stew

Ingredients
3 pounds meat (optionally, stewing beef, goat meat,country style pork boneless ribs, chicken pieces with bone in and skin, fish, or mixture of your choice) *see note*
1 medium onion, quartered
1 small onion sliced into slivers/petals
5-6 fresh red tomatoes, ground in blender (or substitute with one can tomato sauce)
2 tablespoons cooking oil
salt to taste
2 Maggi bullion cubes added seperate times
1 teaspoon thyme leaves (optional)
ground red pepper to taste
water

Preparation
Cut up choice of meats in medium pieces approx 1" 1/2- 2 inch chunks and place in stewing pot
Cover just barely with water. Add 1 bullion cube, salt generously, quartered onion, and red pepper.
Boil until meat is tender. About 45 mins-1 hour. When a fork goes into the meat effortlessly, its done
Remove meat from pot, set aside and save broth in a bowl
Heat oil in stewing pot, add sliced onion and ground tomatoes (or canned tomato sauce), fry until purreed tomatoes are dried out and liquid is evaporated (the deeper the red color the more flavor). Slowly add reserved broth back to tomatoes stirring until you get desired stew-like consistency. Add meat back to stew, and add remaining seasoning to desired amount (maggi cube, thyme, more red pepper to taste)

Simmer for ten minutes or till slightly reduced and serve over white rice.

*Note* For the meat I would usually make it (and how it is Traditionally made) using 2-3 different kinds of meats all cooked together, my favorite combination would often be goat meat chunks, country style boneless pork ribs chunks and chicken pieces with bone still in! The combination of meats really compliment each other!
Of course if you choose to add a fish you would add it later after the meats are mostly cooked as it needs less time.

*Tip* after taking cooked meats out of the broth I always like to place the meat pieces esp chicken with skin on, onto a cookie sheet and season it slightly with seasoning salt and broil it until golden and crispy on top....THEN I add it back to the stew or serve it on top....it adds a little crunch and another level of flavor :)

Hope you enjoy! Left overs are GREAT! and such a comfort food! :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Copied and saved - thank you, Dee!

I'll see if I can find Maggi cubes, so I can be authentic!

Lee

Deelady

Copied and saved - thank you, Dee!

I'll see if I can find Maggi cubes, so I can be authentic!

Lee

If not beef boulion cubes work just as well, we always used them interchangeably :)

and you are very welcome :) Writing it out really made me want some!! lol