Polish Easter Baszcz

homecook

This is a recipe my Polish grandmother used to make at Easter.

3 quarts ham or sausage cooking liquid
3 T. flour
1 cup water
3 T. white vinegar (or to taste)
1-1/2 cups cooked ham (cut in 1-inch pieces)
6 pieces (3-inches each) cooked smoked sausage
6 eggs, hard cooked
6 slices rye bread
6 tsp. prepared horseradish

Chill 3 quarts liquid reserved from cooking ham or sausage. Skim off all fat; measure 3 tablespoons and return these to liquid. Heat. Blend flour and water; stir into hot liquid. Add vinegar. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, place into each large, individual soup bowl: 1/4 cup ham; 1 piece sausage, cut up; 1 hard-cooked egg, sliced; 1 slice rye bread, cut in 1-inch pieces, and 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish. Pour hot soup overall.

Barb

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks homey, that's the ticket!

my mil used to make this every easter. i used to call it dishwater soup (not in her presence, of course) because it looks like, well, you get the idea.

happy ash wednesday to you and yours, barb. are you going to do some calisthenics and get a thumbprint on your head today?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like Stone Soup, barb! LOL! I'm half Polish and my aunt used to make some sort of "borscht" out of kielbasa and ham water. I steered clear of that one!

Geez, thanks for the reminder about Ash Wednesday, BT! I'm always startled when the first customers come in with smudges on their heads. :)

Lee

homecook

they're not smudges... :glare:

it's catholic push start.

:thumb:

thanks homey, that's the ticket!

my mil used to make this every easter. i used to call it dishwater soup (not in her presence, of course) because it looks like, well, you get the idea.

happy ash wednesday to you and yours, barb. are you going to do some calisthenics and get a thumbprint on your head today?

You've got that right!! Mostly the calisthenics. :biggrin:
Same to you bucky!!!

Barb