What's Cooking NCT? Sun. 3/01/2015 to Sat. 3/07/2015

lilbopeep

๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐ŸŒน๐Ÿฐ Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Went out to pick a few things up and it is snowing. I was sliding all over. Will be making meatballs and a pot of gravy. Bought cheese raviolis and cavatelli. Also will be making garlic bread (got the butter softening to make the garlic butter). I picked up some jalapenos and am planning to make jalapeno bagels later or tomorrow.

Embryodad

Went out to pick a few things up and it is snowing. I was sliding all over. Will be making meatballs and a pot of gravy. Bought cheese raviolis and cavatelli. Also will be making garlic bread (got the butter softening to make the garlic butter). I picked up some jalapenos and am planning to make jalapeno bagels later or tomorrow.
Oooo! The Sunday Gravy and Meatballs.... Yummy!

It is some comforting food on day's like this huh peeps?

We had the meatballs last night... DD brought some Meatballs sausage and peppers, and ribs and mushrooms from ShopRite in Byram. Our S/R doesn't cook here by us. It's a small store. DD works in Newton, so on her way home she stops at the Byram store on 206 there. Big Store....Nice...they have everything one could want.

So today, we had BBQ'd Hot Dogs Tina made, and macaroni salad and I made KFC Copycat Cole Slaw...

Here.... in this house, the more it snows, the more we cook! hahahahaha

Embryodad

Had BBQ'd hot dogs that Tina made.
Hot dogs slit in half lengthwise...a whole package, and celery katchup water onions worchester whatever sauce...brown sugar...all cooked down slow on the stovetop. It turns into a dark BBQ sauce and the hot dogs are a dark brown, and absorbed with flavors. I had two, and some without a bun.

Macaroni Salad...and Cole Slaw...

Two pumpkin pies are cooling in the back room. I will make whipped cream in the whipit cream maker / dispenser.
Good for later as we look out the window at the snow. We got 3 inches already, and so, more would be welcome. It gives us more of an appetite.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i found lamb in my freezer. lamb in a garlic/citrus sauce, if they thaw by tomorrow. maybe a gratin of potato, too, & veggies.

Embryodad

Tina cooked a ring of fresh Kielbasi... with onions and potatoes.

We also had Cole slaw that I made the other day, and Macaroni salad Tina made yesterday!

Then we had Biscotti Tina baked for dessert. Mine with anisette flavoring and hers with vanilla.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Then we had Biscotti Tina baked for dessert. Mine with anisette flavoring and hers with vanilla.

My aunt makes that but calls it anisette toast. They are twice baked right?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm going out of town for a few days, so I wanted to clean out the veggie drawer, as DW won't be cooking for herself, and I don't want to waste them. So I found a hunk of Hillshire turkey sausage and made this up for dinner.

Attachments

• Dinner 030415.jpg
    Dinner 030415.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 238

Embryodad

My aunt makes that but calls it anisette toast. They are twice baked right?
Yeah peeps... twice baked. 20 then cut then 5 one side, and finishing with 3 on the other side.
Growing up, we called them coffee biscotti, or Hard Biscotti.... and sometimes just Biscotti.
Now a funny thing. Gram would tell me the story about how the men would go for days in the mountains to gather wood and mushrooms, they would take a goat skin bag filled with the anisette biscotti. The anisette flavor kept the bugs from coming around and they were made dry, to last forever. Gram said they never spoil.
My dad used to say, "Yea Ma, especially yours, because are like eating petrified wood!"
As kids....we thought that was a sin to answer your mother like that. Then, on the other hand...it was normal, for Dads Mom to hit him! haahahaha....even when dad was 55.

We used to say,"Dad, How come you let Grandma Hit You?".....he said, "She's My Mother!"....LOL we understood then!

The treats were always in the house, and Gram made them every week.
I like them with the star annise seeds. A lot of people don't.
DD makes them with black pepper course ground sometimes.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yeah peeps... twice baked. 20 then cut then 5 one side, and finishing with 3 on the other side.
Growing up, we called them coffee biscotti, or Hard Biscotti.... and sometimes just Biscotti.
Now a funny thing. Gram would tell me the story about how the men would go for days in the mountains to gather wood and mushrooms, they would take a goat skin bag filled with the anisette biscotti. The anisette flavor kept the bugs from coming around and they were made dry, to last forever. Gram said they never spoil.
My dad used to say, "Yea Ma, especially yours, because are like eating petrified wood!"
As kids....we thought that was a sin to answer your mother like that. Then, on the other hand...it was normal, for Dads Mom to hit him! haahahaha....even when dad was 55.

We used to say,"Dad, How come you let Grandma Hit You?".....he said, "She's My Mother!"....LOL we understood then!

The treats were always in the house, and Gram made them every week.
I like them with the star annise seeds. A lot of people don't.
DD makes them with black pepper course ground sometimes.

I used to love the Hard Black Pepper Biscotti. But those were made with twice baked Italian bread made with lots of black pepper and weren't sweet. We would break them and put butter on them. I can't find them anywhere any more. The good old fashioned Italian bakeries are all gone around here :sad:

Does your DD make black pepper Italian bread Biscotti? If so would love recipe.

Embryodad

I used to love the Hard Black Pepper Biscotti. But those were made with twice baked Italian bread made with lots of black pepper and weren't sweet. We would break them and put butter on them. I can't find them anywhere any more. The good old fashioned Italian bakeries are all gone around here :sad:

Does your DD make black pepper Italian bread Biscotti? If so would love recipe.
No peep.
The ones she makes are not really sweet, but are very airy inside, but dense.

She just adds the black pepper. She also makes the ones with sliced almonds too!
Remember Stella D Oro Used to make the soft spongy toast with the fruit in it?
I love them. The sesame seed cookies too. They don't make the sesame cookies any more!....

You are right. There are no good Italian bakeries around anymore.

LOL....right now, I am munching on Stella D Oro breakfast treats. The original "S" shaped cookies!

Hard to get the Taralli anymore. The ones that are like flat hard cut bagels, and with pepper and or plain. I remember Gram made them, and would sit and watch the soaps
Search For Tomorrow, and the Guiding Light and "As The World Turns" ...and she would sit me down, and give the taralli and a bunch of grapes with Ginger Ale....and it would keep me quiet while she listened to her "stories" as she called them.

Actually, as long as I was chewing, I was a good kid! LOL

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had mustard greens, purple hull peas, and cornbread last night. More of the same tonight.

Embryodad

I truly LOVE mustard greens!!! :wow:
Shermie....I'll bet you probably had these, but if not, did you ever have Dandelions? ( The leaves )

I love them, but it takes a whole grocery bag full to just make enough for me.

My mother in law used to pick the flowers, and make wine.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Shermie....I'll bet you probably had these, but if not, did you ever have Dandelions? ( The leaves )

I LOVE Dandelion greens in salad!! When I was a kid you didn't see them in the markets. Mom would have me pick all the greens from the yard and next door neighbors yard for salad. Years later when you could get the big bunches at the farms she would cook them like chard. YUM!!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
may be a Pittsburgh woman, except, man, we love greens. my Dad cooks them so often. vinegar, black pepper, 1 kind of fresh greens, or another, & ham base- nom. usually w/ a ham steak.

Shermie

Site Supporter

I think I had them, but I didn't like them. I'm strictly a lover of mustards, collards & turnip greens only. :bbq3:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
may be a Pittsburgh woman, except, man, we love greens. my Dad cooks them so often. vinegar, black pepper, 1 kind of fresh greens, or another, & ham base- nom. usually w/ a ham steak.

I like mustards, collards & turnip greens fried in the smoked ham steak drippings. YUM

Shermie

Site Supporter
I usually like to fry some salt pork diced up into lardons, add rhen and the drippings to the greens, or I like to psrboil a couple of ham hocks, or smoked turkey wings or a smoked turkey drumstick in the pressure cooker & then add the greens, chopped garlic, chopped onion & seasonings to them and pressure cook them unti they are nice & tender!! YUMMMMM!!!! :weber: :bbq3:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I truly LOVE mustard greens!!! :wow:

Me too, Me too, Me too!

Here's my pecking order: mustard greens, turnip greens, kale.

I really like to have a nice chicken fried pork chop with them, but I was trying to be good because I'd had fried catfish before.

Tonight is going to be Homecook's Chicken Spinach Skillet.

Embryodad

when we wuz kids ..... we would pick them dandeline leaves as we played, and just eat them without cooking them.
There were wild flowers too ( they were pink ) and they looked like little Y's. We would pull them and nibble on the part where they were attached. They were sweet tasting.
I forget the name of them; but they attracted bees.

Embryodad

Mommy T made split pea and ham soup thursday. That will be supper for me anyway.

Griddled cheese on "Pechters" seeded rye bread to go with it.