Chicken with Mustard Mascapone Marsala

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My boss turned me on to this fantastic recipe by Giada.

The flavor combination of Dijon mustard and mascarpone is incredible! I want to mix them together to make a dip for pretzels!

Lee
Ingredients

Directions

Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and cook just until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cool slightly.

While the chicken cools, melt 2 tablespoons of butter to the same skillet over medium-high heat, then add the onion and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute until the mushrooms are tender and the juices evaporate, about 12 minutes.

Add the wine and simmer until it is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir in the mascarpone and mustard.
Cut the chicken breasts crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the chicken is just cooked through and the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped parsley. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain. Toss the fettuccine with 3 tablespoons of butter and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Swirl the fettuccine onto serving plates. Spoon the chicken mixture over top. Garnish with parsley sprigs and serve.

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

.cs-sponsor-module .tab-content { display: block !important; }

Advertisement
© 2015 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.

Attachments

• Chicken Marsala with Djion and Mascapone.JPG
    Chicken Marsala with Djion and Mascapone.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 292

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i luv her shows. thanks, lee. my family may well appreciate that one. (me, too!)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Let us know how it turns out when you make it. Not real sure about the mustard & mascarpone blend.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Let us know how it turns out when you make it. Not real sure about the mustard & mascarpone blend.

That photo, which really doesn't do justice to the dish, is mine, Joe.

I made it the other night and am having a bit of leftovers for lunch today.

Excellent!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
mustard and cheese....what's not to like ?!

need to reduce the qty for two tho.

funny thing the other day - was at butcher shop, asked for two chicken breasts.
normally I just buy a whole chicken.....
got home, hunka-hunka' sack o' chicken.....peekpeek....

"their" interpretation of "two chicken breasts" is what I would call "breasts from two chickens"

so we got a chunk in the freezer.....

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
out flippin' super dish.

took me two trips to different PA state stores to find a dry Florio marsala - did half a batch and it was really good stuff.

mucho (burp) thanks there Q!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
and I went and did it again!

this has to be one of the top ten tastiest dishes you really can't screw up and doesn't require a degree in foodology + 20 years experience.

my tips -
- use a dry marsala as specified, Florio is an excellent brand
- use crimini, no subs
- the mascarpone and dijon are similarly essential
- a 10" fry pan is the minimum size; had I used more chicken, I'd been in trouble - if you've got a 12" use that.

prep is so simple.
used two chicken breasts (for two) and it made enough for two dinners - and it was every bit as good 'reheated' as when 'just made.'

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for bumping that up, Chowderman - I've got 2 huge chicken breasts in the freezer that will be perfect for this!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I got my new issue of Cook's Illustrated which had a recipe for Chicken Marsala that I wanted to try.

It takes too long (reductions and reductions), uses expensive ingredients that don't add much to the dish (pancetta, and dried porcini mushrooms that they tell you to DISCARD after poaching them in the wines. At $6 an ounce???? No way!)

I'll never make it again.

It was good, sure, but the above recipe was just as good, as are many other simpler, faster recipes.

Here are pics.

Lee

Attachments

• Chicken marsala 1, mushooms.JPG
    Chicken marsala 1, mushooms.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Chicken marsala 2, reduction.JPG
    Chicken marsala 2, reduction.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 199
  • Chicken marsala 3, plated.JPG
    Chicken marsala 3, plated.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 160

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
giggle . . . sometimes the french gets the better of them....

DISCARD - actually I do. steeped/poached dry mushrooms bring a lot of flavor, but I muchly dislike the texture.

I buy dry 'shrooms on the web - for example dry morels in the supermarket are, per their unit pricing label.... $350+ per pound! - you get fractions of an ounce for something close to $10.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I switched to boneless skinless thigh meat - absolutely stunning dish.

doing it tonight with fresh spaetzle.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
HEY, Mr. "I-Love-This-Chicken- and-Mascapone-Dish" (I assume that's the one you're making) -

How about posting a photo of yours???

AND your spaetzle!

:) Enjoy!

Lee

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we consume spaetzle two ways - one is "fresh" - just out of the pot - or "re-fried" - after min. 24 hrs in fridge (benefit is better texture at refry...) I make a batch and "home IQF" it, lets me fix small batches as a side.

with the accent on the mushroom sauce in the chicken marsala, I use it fresh. next batch I'll do some pix.

the "re-fried" I like with, for example, a schnitzel.

Attachments

• DSC_1025s.jpg
    DSC_1025s.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC_1031s.jpg
    DSC_1031s.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 157
  • spplate.jpg
    spplate.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 119

QSis

Grill Master